Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthcare rights in Europe

Options
  • 01-12-2014 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭

So I will be travelling to France next year for work and was told I will need a European Health Insurance Card. I had one before but it expired back in 2010, I thought I could just go online and renew it but when I enter the ID number for the card and my PPSn it informs me that I can not renew the card, as the ID is unrecognised.

Is this just because it was so long ago? Also can anyone apply online? It says "If you already have a medical card or a drug payment scheme card you can apply online" but I was wondering does that matter or can anyone apply online, or will I have to go in get a form and go to my local health office to apply for a EHIC.

I need it as soon as possible to be honest and I am hoping theres a way that I can just get it online today and then wait for it to arrive rather than going into the local health office.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

If you're not travelling until next year, why do you want it straight away?!

I'm pretty sure you can apply online..it shouldn't matter how long its been since your last card expired coz they'd still have your details

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

berger89 wrote: »
    If you're not travelling until next year, why do you want it straight away?!

I'm pretty sure you can apply online..it shouldn't matter how long its been since your last card expired coz they'd still have your details

Well I will be leaving in January so its not that far away, also I thought so too but I keep getting an error message saying it does not recognise the ID I am trying to renew, I am wondering is it because it is a very old card and expired over 4 years ago.

Does anyone know how long it would take to receive a EHIC if I do apply by posting off the form?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Well I think I have answered my own question but Ill post it here if anyone is having the same problem, I went through the main EHIC online service rather than just a direct link to the renewal and saw a note that says if you have changed your address since the last time you received a card you must contact them. I am pretty sure thats my problem since I am pretty sure I moved just shortly after receiving the card last.

Looks like Ill have to contact my local health office to change my address first.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Make sure you get it, I had an accident in Bordeaux a few years back and it was the first thing the medics in the ambulance asked me for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Hi all:

Looking to get insurance to cover family of 5 for 2 weeks in Portugal.

Any recommendations?

I've had no idea what an EHIC card was until I read a few threads here. Is travel insurance not essential if you have an EHIC card?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

All an EHIC will get you is treatment in a public hospital in an EU country

Travel insurance will help with more, e.g. repatriation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Thanks. I just booked multi-trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Stheno wrote: »
    All an EHIC will get you is treatment in a public hospital in an EU country

Travel insurance will help with more, e.g. repatriation
    travel insurance also includes cancellation compensation should someone get sick.
    Often as an individual or couple thats not a biggie, but with kids who have tendencies to pick up bugs and whatnot insurance may be useful.

and its worth remembering that the EHIC is only as good as the public health system in the country you visit.
    So, go to Germany or Austria and you have everything covered from GP to Dentist to hospital to CT scans to whatever is needed. All by flashing the card (and filling out a heap of forms so the irish government can get billed! )

Greece and other mediteranian countries are far less giving to their own citizens, so tourists get the same shoddy treatment (and may end up needing to pay in cash for private services which only travel insurance will cover)

heres the info on what the EHIC covers in Portugal
    http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/healthcareinPortugal.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

travel insurance also includes cancellation compensation should someone get sick.
    Often as an individual or couple thats not a biggie, but with kids who have tendencies to pick up bugs and whatnot insurance may be useful.

and its worth remembering that the EHIC is only as good as the public health system in the country you visit.
    So, go to Germany or Austria and you have everything covered from GP to Dentist to hospital to CT scans to whatever is needed. All by flashing the card (and filling out a heap of forms so the irish government can get billed! )

Greece and other mediteranian countries are far less giving to their own citizens, so tourists get the same shoddy treatment (and may end up needing to pay in cash for private services which only travel insurance will cover)

heres the info on what the EHIC covers in Portugal
    http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/healthcareinPortugal.aspx

The same shoddy treatment that Greeks or other Mediterranean counttries' citizens would get if they needed to use the EHIC in Ireland. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The same shoddy treatment that Greeks or other Mediterranean counttries' citizens would get if they needed to use the EHIC in Ireland. ;)

I wouldn't think i'd be left with a 20k bill in Ireland though:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/holidays/article-2161755/Why-falling-ill-Greece-leave-17-000-bill.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,347 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That story is three years old (June 2012), things can only be worse in Greece these days. I've seen similar stories about 'cash-strapped' Spanish hospitals asking foreigners for a credit card.

BTW, if you have travel insurance and need hospital treatment abroad, do not hand over your credit card. This is the preferred option for the hospital because (1) they get paid straight away with no paperwork and (2) they can charge you pretty much what they want. Instead, notify your insurance company and let them deal with the hospital, this is what they tell you to do anyway. It gives them control over the hospital charges and ensures that you don't come home to a massive CC bill.

If you pay the hospital with your credit card, your insurance company will put some serious red tape in your way when you get home and attempt to submit a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭goalie2

Hi Folks,

Going on a holiday to Salou shortly with the family and my dad who is 82.

He has the European Health Insurance Card but I am wondering should I also get him travel insurance as well? The EHIC covers you for doctor treatment and hospital cover as public person if I am reading it right, would travel, insurance cover extra stay in the hospital?

Dad is in great shape physcially bar suffering from fibrosis of the lungs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You should always have travel insurance. Insurance covers theft, cancellation, legal fees, personal injury, repatriation and a whole lot of stuff. Medical expenses are a very small part

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

A person of 82 is far more likely to need medical evacuation(I.e. Air ambulance) or cover for cancellation due to medical reasons than a younger person so it's wise to get it.
    Just be careful as some policies don't cover older people.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Very few companies will insure people of your dad's age. It can be very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭goalie2

Thanks folks, I have found a couple of sites that cover dad but they require medical screening, should I get the report from his doctor with his history just to cover everything for the policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

goalie2 wrote: »
    Thanks folks, I have found a couple of sites that cover dad but they require medical screening, should I get the report from his doctor with his history just to cover everything for the policy?

Yes if you don't give a full declaration of his condition they will void the policy should anything happen.

If he was to say break his leg the EHIC card would cover him to go in to a public hospital and get it treated and patched up but it might then mean no airline would fly him back home if his leg was in certain conditions within the cast where if you had travel insurance it would cover the costs of getting him back to Ireland in a medical transfer. There may also be injuries that would mean he couldn't fly back for weeks or months and these costs would be covered by travel insurance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Hello

I am in the algarve in Portugal and I've just been to the doctor with a fever and he gave me a prescription etc

It was a public place I went to and they specifically asked for my EHIC and took down the details.

I then had to pay them 50 euro.

Question is, how do I claim some of this this back?

- via my standard vhi health insurance
    - via my multi trip travel insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Your travel insurance should cover it, keep any receipts you receive and then contact them when your back home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Travel insurance may have an excess on the policy that is greater than the price paid here.

I always thought the EHIC would give you the same treatment for the same price as the natives. So I would check if everyone pays E50 for a GP consultation there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

The last time I went to the public doctor in Portugal on holiday it was €4, this was 3 years ago.

I think go back and check with them.

Feel better soon

edeldonlon wrote: »
    The last time I went to the public doctor in Portugal on holiday it was €4, this was 3 years ago.

I think go back and check with them.

Feel better soon

mmmm. Thanks.
    Cause I specificAlly asked why do I have to pay when I have the card, and they just said that's the way it works and you just claim it back. I was thattoo sick to even think about it at the time and soon heading home etc.

4 euro is some bargain !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

2 Years ago €17 at local A&E and €14 for script. Probably exceeds Travel Insurance excess €50 sounds a bit steep.

ger664 wrote: »
    2 Years ago €17 at local A&E and €14 for script. Probably exceeds Travel Insurance excess €50 sounds a bit steep.

So did I literally get ridden?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

So did I literally get ridden?

Who knows?

But at the end of the day E50 is not that excessive really, and I don't think there is much point in worrying about it now. Time was when you were there.

If you are ok that is the main thing here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Registered Users Posts: 25,347 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd be interested to know how much they would have charged the OP if he didn't have the EHIC card. They were clearly going to claim some money from the Irish HSE if they noted the details of the OP's card.

What I find very strange is that while still on holidays, the OP took to boards to see how he can claim back €50 for a doctor's fee! Get on with your holidays and worry about claiming expenses when you get home.

coylemj wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know how much they would have charged the OP if he didn't have the EHIC card. They were clearly going to claim some money from the Irish HSE if they noted the details of the OP's card.

What I find very strange is that while still on holidays, the OP took to boards to see how he can claim back €50 for a doctor's fee! Get on with your holidays and worry about claiming expenses when you get home.

Holidays is probably the time I spend most on boards.

Sitting around in the sun most days and I get sick of reading a book and I just go on to boards.
    Nothing very strange about it really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Hi

I'm living abroad, and my EHIC has expired. I may have to go to the hospital on a doctor's recommendation, and I was wondering if it is possible to get the charges reimbursed when I get my card reinstated.

Thanks!

Advertisement