Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric skateboard

Options
  • 14-10-2016 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I want to import one of these from the US but don't know what the legality is with something like this on the streets here? It can hit 37 kph and has a 22 + kilometre range. It's pretty expensive but I have a few quid to spare and took an interest in one. I will commute to work and back on this no problem as well as recreation.

https://boostedboards.com/the-board/

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

This quote refers to self-balancing scooters but I'd expect the same to apply to the board in your link:
    In short, self-balancing scooters are treated the same way as Segways and therefore prohibited from driving on both roads, footpaths and cycle lanes.
    Self-balancing scooters fall under the category of mechanically propelled vehicles, which means the Garda Síochána has the last word on whether they’re allowed or not.
    What about Ireland?

When asked about the laws surrounding self-balancing scooters, a garda spokesperson said under existing law, it’s illegal to use one on Irish roads or footpaths, but stated that the issue was “being kept under review by the Department of Transport in the context of our examination of sustainable modes of transport”.
    There are exceptions to riding one in a public place, like Phoenix Park, although it comes with a number of requirements. For one, you must have a driver’s licence and have third-party insurance to cover potential injury or property damage, ensure it meets safety requirements and you must wear a helmet when operating one.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-self-balancing-scooter-2382939-Oct2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Sorry Gard didn't know I needed a drivers licence for my skateboard..

I see people with electric bicycles in around the city centre every now and then so I'd love to talk to someone riding an electric bike to find out if they get hassle about them.

Sorry judge, I didn't know you needed insurance so I'm unable to pay that judgment against me for hitting someone at 37kph. ;)

More likely is you'd get a warning the first time you were spotted just before your €1000 purchase got relegated to spins around the back garden.

Interesting read here: http://irishcycle.com/2015/07/08/transport-minister-questioned-on-powerful-electric-bicycles/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, the first thing i thought of when you said it can do 37km/h was 'well, you won't be using that on the footpath so'.
    a cyclist would need to be fit and sprinting to hit that speed. and they're certainly not allowed on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I see people with electric bicycles in around the city centre every now and then so I'd love to talk to someone riding an electric bike to find out if they get hassle about them.

E-Bicycles or Pedelecs are limited to 25km/h to be legal here, sounds like this skateboard would be a lot faster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

yeah, the first thing i thought of when you said it can do 37km/h was 'well, you won't be using that on the footpath so'.
    a cyclist would need to be fit and sprinting to hit that speed. and they're certainly not allowed on the footpath.
    E-Bicycles or Pedelecs are limited to 25km/h to be legal here, sounds like this skateboard would be a lot faster.

They are? That's ludicrous - I average higher than that on the bike. 37km isn't that fast either depending on the road. I would be over 40kph on sections of the N4 without really trying. Celbridge Road in Maynooth I've hit 48kph (admittedly I was flat out at the time). And I'm far from the fittest cyclist around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think the point is its quite fast if they were to run into something or someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Orion wrote: »
    They are? That's ludicrous - I average higher than that on the bike. 37km isn't that fast either depending on the road. I would be over 40kph on sections of the N4 without really trying. Celbridge Road in Maynooth I've hit 48kph (admittedly I was flat out at the time). And I'm far from the fittest cyclist around.

Ebikes improve your cycling range by making it less tiring to pedal. They're not designed to improve your speed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Orion wrote: »
    37km isn't that fast either depending on the road.
    i'm happy with sustaining maybe 31km/h for more than few kilometres on the bike without a tailwind. and i'm not unfit.
    this is completely ignoring the point though. 37km/h is most definitely not a speed for footpaths.

i'm happy with sustaining maybe 31km/h for more than few kilometres on the bike without a tailwind. and i'm not unfit.
    this is completely ignoring the point though. 37km/h is most definitely not a speed for footpaths.

oh I absolutely agree with that - that's a road speed. My comment was about power assisted bikes which should not be on the path anyway - as for any bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

saw one of these whizz by in London recently (on the road), pretty cool and similar enough concept to the OP
    https://onewheel.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Hi OP. Ive one of these pre ordered since may and it's due in December or possibly January 2017. You may get yours before next summer at the rate they're going... I asked the same question on legality and found no definite answer so I asked actual Garda. They're fine, but you can meet a prick of a garda... I was told if I see a garda just to kick the board... 9 out of 10 times no garda will suspect it's electric anyway as it just looks like a regular long board.

no garda will suspect it's electric anyway as it just looks like a regular long board.

I suspect a Garda may have an inkling when the OP glides by at 37km/h :D

Graham wrote: »
    I suspect a Garda may have an inkling when the OP glides by at 37km/h :D

I think the key is to be sensible!

I forgot to add, don't expect to get a board for €1000, it's likely to be more than doible that delivered... IF it gets delivered. Board is roughly €1400 for the D+ model the one capable of 22mph... Customs charges are around €480 and could be more depending on what way the wind is blowing, shipping around €100...IF boosted can clear it for international shipping. They were having problems shipping their batteries and you can now thank Samsung and their exploding phones for an even longer delay.

Mine is still on pre order because I think it's worth the wait...BUT if I can get a V1 D+ on eBay and save the wait and huge cost I'll do that instead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

I skateboarded for many years and although these are designed different than a street board and have large wheels, it's really difficult to keep balance and control going very fast, look up 'speed wobbles'.

Especially considering how wet the surfaces tend to be here I'd wouldn't go anywhere near that speed. Also I don't see how you could be able to ollie up or down curbs or over obstacles on that shape, and I doubt it will propel you up a hill so I don't see it being any better than a normal board, 10-15x the price for something can only go in a straight line.

It can go up 25% gradient not a problem.

To be fair skateboarding is not really suited to wet weather anyway so what's your point?

Id see this as a viable summer option...a very expensive one.

Actually...your whole post is VERY misinformed. You should look up their site...

To be fair skateboarding is not really suited to wet weather anyway so what's your point?

Actually...your whole post is VERY misinformed. You should look up their site...

OP was looking at this as a means of commuting.

Pfft, ive been skating for 20 years think I know a wee bit. You've never rode on of these or seen one in person so how informed can YOU be? Based on what I know from experience I'm skeptical about the usefulness of these very expensive, clunky looking, possibly illegal boards.

My point is exactly as you said, you can't skate in wet weather so why spend the cost of a used car on one? And a 25% incline is not a proper hill. So you'll still be walking up hills carrying the board and unable to use it in the rain. You can't ollie, either so you'll have to stop at any obstacle. Not worth 4 figures considering that IMO.

I have seen the site. Funny they don't have any videos of someone hitting a rock or crack in the ground at 37 mph, something that happens to all skaters eventually and will hurt you pretty bad at half that speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Clampdown wrote: »
    And a 25% incline is not a proper hill.
    How do you figure that?

25% is probably steeper than any hill in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pfft, ive been skating for 20 years think I know a wee bit. You've never rode on of these or seen one in person so how informed can YOU be? Based on what I know from experience I'm skeptical about the usefulness of these very expensive, clunky looking, possibly illegal boards.

My point is exactly as you said, you can't skate in wet weather so why spend the cost of a used car on one? And a 25% incline is not a proper hill. So you'll still be walking up hills carrying the board and unable to use it in the rain. You can't ollie, either so you'll have to stop at any obstacle. Not worth 4 figures considering that IMO.

I have seen the site. Funny they don't have any videos of someone hitting a rock or crack in the ground at 37 mph, something that happens to all skaters eventually and will hurt you pretty bad at half that speed.

You might wanna look up Casey Neistat on youtube. He rides one all weather through NY. Has bailed many times due to curbs/potholes but it tends to not be so serious. Never any broken bones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭ozmo

Watch any of Caseys Videos if you havn't seen them - boosted board looks awesome fun.

eg.
    https://youtu.be/oJsPWnin6kk?t=8m55s

edit - spent too much time watching the above vids instead of posting and someone beat me to it - lol.

“Roll it back”

From your experience of electric boards is it? Because that's what we're talking about here.

Normally I would't reply to someone who starts their post with "pfft" but your post actually annoyed me because of how much you're assuming and how much you're talking out of your backside.

I have ridden a boosted board AND other electric boards and it's great. It's what made me want one so bad.

You're skeptical to the usefulness of the board? You mean you're skeptical of an electric vehichle that charges in an hour and gives you SEVEN miles range (by the way theres an extended battery coming next year that doubles your range...and its free) Clunky? - They're electric f*cking skateboards of course they're clunkier than a normal board. Christ.

Illegal? How. Show me how they're illegal please.

What it's "worth" is irrelevant. 2k to me could be more than what 2k is worth to you.

You can't really skate a normal board in wet weather either... Their own website promotes it as a "last mile vehicle" - It's plastered all over their site. Of course people in countries with better weather are using them as their main daily commuter. By the way the new board is now waterproof too, so you could ride it in the wet if you so wish.

A 25% incline is f*cking huge. I don't think you know what a 25% incline is, so yeah it's a "proper hill".

Stopping at any obstacle? It's a skateboard. Do you expect it to fly or something?
    Funny they don't have any videos of someone hitting a rock or crack in the ground at 37 mph, something that happens to all skaters eventually and will hurt you pretty bad at half that speed.

I know yeah, its mental how the sellers don't have a video of someone face planting themselves at 37kph on their home page isn't it? Crazy.

That's like saying why don't Ferrari have a video of someone smashing into a wall at 200mph on their website. You are aware the board doesnt just do 1kph and 37kph right? You don't have to go flat out everywhere.

Honestly I feel like I'm trying to explain this to a child.

Yes, most experienced skateboarders can ollie up curbs and over small obstacles, down a few stairs,etc. Sounds like you don't actually have that much experience skating tbh if you don't know that. Have fun hopping off every time something gets in your way.

Honestly, I think you just have confirmation bias since you've already spent a pile of money on it. It's a cool toy but I don't see it being useful in Ireland where it rains all the time, our roads and footpaths are really narrow and crowded unless you're in the country where roads are really rough and poorly lit.

I hope you enjoy it but I doubt you'll find it as useful for commuting as you would like.

Yes, most experienced skateboarders can ollie up curbs and over small obstacles, down a few stairs,etc. Sounds like you don't actually have that much experience skating tbh if you don't know that. Have fun hopping off every time something gets in your way.

Honestly, I think you just have confirmation bias since you've already spent a pile of money on it. It's a cool toy but I don't see it being useful in Ireland where it rains all the time, our roads and footpaths are really narrow and crowded unless you're in the country where roads are really rough and poorly lit.

I hope you enjoy it but I doubt you'll find it as useful for commuting as you would like.

I'm not the OP. I'm not using it as a commuter. it's a bit of crack to fly down to the shop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It will depend very much if your route is suitable. Only you will know that.

Mellor wrote: »
    How do you figure that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Street

Mellor wrote: »
    How do you figure that?

Mamore Gap is one of the steepest and it's 22%.

From your experience of electric boards is it? Because that's what we're talking about here.

Normally I would't reply to someone who starts their post with "pfft" but your post actually annoyed me because of how much you're assuming and how much you're talking out of your backside.

I have ridden a boosted board AND other electric boards and it's great. It's what made me want one so bad.

You're skeptical to the usefulness of the board? You mean you're skeptical of an electric vehichle that charges in an hour and gives you SEVEN miles range (by the way theres an extended battery coming next year that doubles your range...and its free) Clunky? - They're electric f*cking skateboards of course they're clunkier than a normal board. Christ.

Illegal? How. Show me how they're illegal please.

What it's "worth" is irrelevant. 2k to me could be more than what 2k is worth to you.

You can't really skate a normal board in wet weather either... Their own website promotes it as a "last mile vehicle" - It's plastered all over their site. Of course people in countries with better weather are using them as their main daily commuter. By the way the new board is now waterproof too, so you could ride it in the wet if you so wish.

A 25% incline is f*cking huge. I don't think you know what a 25% incline is, so yeah it's a "proper hill".

Stopping at any obstacle? It's a skateboard. Do you expect it to fly or something?

I know yeah, its mental how the sellers don't have a video of someone face planting themselves at 37kph on their home page isn't it? Crazy.

That's like saying why don't Ferrari have a video of someone smashing into a wall at 200mph on their website. You are aware the board doesnt just do 1kph and 37kph right? You don't have to go flat out everywhere.

Honestly I feel like I'm trying to explain this to a child.

They're not necessarily illegal, but using them on a footpath may well be, not having insurance,tax and a helmet or a registration plate is likely required as it counts as a mechanically propelled vehicle.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

At least the motor should start to stop helping at that speed.

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »
    At least the motor should start to stop helping at that speed.

Yes they're programmed to cut-out once you reach that speed.

Advertisement