Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the guards compelled to act?

Options
  • 17-09-2016 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Pulled out from another thread.
    @GM228 I fecking knew I'd read something on point recently and I'll continue to dig out something more on point. Please keep challenging me on it as I'll never forget it again or this:

DPP v Bartley Unreported CCC 13th June 1997

As per Carney J

"it is an indictable offence at Common Law if a public officer wilfully and without reasonable excuse or justification neglects to perform a duty imposed on him either by Common Law or Statute."

Now there are a load of issues in the instant case which I'm sure will be pointed out with glee, but as a starting point to your query I just couldn't contain myself until morning. I really am living the dream!

Edit: Turns out this was the case I was looking for all along. A further obiter comment reads.

“where a credible complaint of felony is made to a policeman he has no discretion under the Common Law not to investigate it and apprehend a named offender. A failure to carry out this duty vigorously constitutes an illegality on the policeman’s part and renders him liable to prosecution.”

On the compelling a guard, I'm hanging my hat here. It's of dubious use in minor criminal damage/assault I would concede. I reckon there is something in this and the Dytham case but I'll have to have a hunt tomorrow if it's quiet at work. I might even get some useful info for the hospital security one and your powers of arrest thread GM228!

Thoroughly enjoying this one folks!
    GM228 wrote: »
    Interesting find Kings Inn, but there is still nothing I believe to compell a Guard to act.

The Dytham case is a UK case meaning it is not precedent here, merely persuasive. It also applies the principle that the duty of care and duty to act must be as per statute or common law, in other words there must be an omission of a statutory duty before any criminal element can apply, and as I said already there would appear to be no duty in statute, simply a power.

The principles of duty of care owed by police to the public have since changed due to a more recent case. In Michael v The Chief Constable of South Wales Police [2015] UKSC 2 the Suprene Court has ruled no duty of care is owed to the public until the point the police take responsibility for the member of the public. Does a lack of duty of care reduce the liability of a duty to act I wonder? And when are the Police deemed to take responsibility?

Statute/common law does not state a duty or obligation, but rather a power so I don't think they even have any "responsibility" until they arrest or detain the person.

The common law offence mentioned in the Bartley case of failure to investigate and apprehend a named offender for a felony no longer exists. The qualifying criteria to apply the common law offence ceased to exist shortly after that case in 1997 thus making the offence non existant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Some statutes oblige Gardaí to act. The wording of the Garda power will generally contain the word "shall" as opposed to "may". An example is Section 9(1)(b) of the Road Traffic Act 2010.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2010/act/25/section/9/enacted/en/html#sec9

Otherwise, the obligation stems from the Garda Code and the Garda Síochána Act 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I put this to my brother and he was positive that despite the use of "shall" in some instances that the Gardaí still have discretion in applying the law and therefore they are not compelled to act, this is due to a common law power of discretion they hold by virtue of their office and dates back to the birth of the force.

With a little research and help from the Garda Press Office I've discovered this would appear to be in fact the case.

The common law power of discretion was not limited, but could only be applied to minor offences leaving no power of discretion to serious offences due to it being an offence not to follow up on a felony, but due to the abolition of felonies the offence of not following up on such can't be applied as they don't exist anymore meaning that they can technically apply discretion for all their duties.

So where does this common law power of discretion come from? I was pointed in the direction to an excellent extract from the book "Criminal Justice in Ireland" by Paul O'Mahoney in which Dermot Walsh (professor of law, director of the Centre for Criminal Justice at the University of Limerick and advisor to the Dept of Justice) explains where this common law power of discretion originated from.
    Common Law Peace Officer

The fact that the force lacks a legal personality separate and distinct from that of its individual members suggests that even today, more than two hundred years after organised police forces were first established in this country, the legal concept of police is still dominated by the ancient common law peace officer.

This perception is reinforced by the fact that the legislation establishing the Garda Siochana does not entrust the full complement of police powers and duties to a centralised figure such as the Garda commissioner or the minister who could then delegate police tasks to members of the force. Instead the legislation seems to have adopted by default the arrangements which have informed organised policing in Ireland since 1786 and which are quintessentially English in origin.

Under these arrangements it is the individual member of the force, as distinct from the Garda commissioner or minister, who is the primary legal actor.” The full complement of police powers and duties are invested by law in the office held by each individual member. Many of these powers and duties emanate from the common law and inhere in each member of the force by virtue of his or her status as a peace officer. Such fundamental police duties as preventing and detecting crime, maintaining public order and keeping the peace are not entrusted statutorily on each member of the force. There is no need. They already inhere in each member by virtue of his or her status as a common law peace officer. The same applies to such basic powers as the use of force in keeping the peace and restoring public order. Of course many police powers today derive from a statutory source.

Significantly, the legislation creating such powers confers them directly on each member of the force, as distinct from the garda commissioner or Minister forJustice, Equality and Law Reform.

Independence of members

The retention of the individual peace officer as the primary legal actor in an organised police force has important constitutional implications for the exercise of police powers.

Since police powers and duties vest in each member of the force by virtue of the office which he or she holds, it follows that they can be exercised only on the responsibility of the individual member concerned.

When engaged in the investigation and detection of a crime, it is a matter for the individual member to decide whether, for example, to effect an arrest. Of course, he or she may be requested to effect an arrest by a senior officer. Ultimately, however, the decision to act must be his or hers alone. The request from a senior officer cannot in itself provide a complete legal basis for the member’s actions. Even if the objective preconditions for the exercise of his or her power of arrest are present, it will still be a matter for the discretion of the individual member whether or not to effect the arrest. If he or she exercises that discretion in favour of arrest purely on the basis that he or she had been instructed to do so, the member will have failed to exercise a genuine discretion and the arrest will be unlawful. It follows that no executive authority, not even the Garda commissioner or the minister, can lawfully direct how a member of the Garda Siochana should exercise his or her police powers or discharge his her law enforcement duties in any individual case. The individual member is independent in such matters. This independence of a member of the Garda Siochana can be explained partly by the fact that he or she is exercising powers which are conferred statutorily on him or her. Ultimately, however, the member’s independence arises from his or her status as an office-holder.

When enforcing the law in his or her capacity as a peace officer he or she is exercising an original authority attaching to that common law office.

Ok so that was written just before the Garda Siochana Act 2005 so does the power still apply since that act?

In 2004 when the Garda Siochana Bill was being debated the protection of the power of discretion came up and Brian Lenihan confirmed it had never changed and it was important to protect it:-

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/seanad2004120800006
    Mr. B. Lenihan: The Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform has examined the issues raised in subsection (4) but is not prepared to accept the amendment.

In common law, certain matters on which a garda can exercise a discretion relate to his or her position as an officer of the peace and a constable. That common law position has never been altered in this jurisdiction.Each individual member of the Garda Síochána has an individual discretion in certain matters. For example, a garda has the discretion as to whether to arrest an individual and whether to proceed in the prosecution of certain types of summary and minor offence. However, the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform cannot direct a garda to arrest or prosecute an individual, who, for example, may have infringed the road traffic code by not having adequate illumination on a bicycle. These and many other matters are left to the Garda. This is of great importance to the citizen who needs the reassurance that a garda cannot be subject to a direction.

Section 22 gives the Minister power to issue to the Garda Commissioner written directives concerning any matter relating to the Garda Síochána. While it is drafted with a wide scope, subsection (4) ensures this wide power to be conferred on the Minister cannot be exercised to limit the independence of the Garda Síochána in performing functions in the investigation or prosecution of an offence. I gave the example of the exercise of the power of arrest. The same principle applies to many of the investigative powers which the Garda exercises at common law or statutory level. Equally, in the prosecution of an offence, a discretion rests with the Garda on a wide range of matters which come before the District Court. In the District Court, the Director of Public Prosecutions does not have power over the [1922] Garda, as a matter of law. He may have certain powers in practice but not as a matter of law. It is important that this discretion, essential to the confidence in the community enjoyed by the Garda, is safeguarded and respected by the legislation.

And so they were protected as per the Garda Siochana Act 2005, section 7 gives Gardaí their powers and functions as conferred in law, but 7 (4) protects their power of discretion from duties conferred in law:-
    7(4) This section does not affect any powers, immunities, privileges or duties that members of the Garda Síochána have by virtue of any other enactment or at common law.

But would this protection apply to the use of shall in legislation, the answer would appear to be yes as highlighted by the penalty points issue and as confirmed by the Attorney General, the GSCO and the Garda Professional Standards Unit the Gardaí have the right to use discretion even though the application of penalty points seemed to be mandatory by the use of the word shall in legislation.

Take the Road Traffic Act 1961 Section 103 (2)(a):-
    103 (2) Where a member of the Garda Síochána has reasonable grounds for believing that a fixed charge offence is being or has been committed by a person—
    (a) if the member identifies the person, the member shall serve, or cause to be served, personally or by post, on the person a notice under this section

This piece of legislation and the use of shall became centre piece in the penalty points saga a few years ago and it was shown that Garda discretion still applied due to their common law power of discretion.

From the Garda Professional Standards Unit:-

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/FINAL%20GPSU%20Report%20on%20FCPS%2023_04_13.pdf/Files/FINAL%20GPSU%20Report%20on%20FCPS%2023_04_13.pdf
    Members of An Garda Síochána have the ability to exercise a power of discretion in deciding if someone will be subject to a penalty, for example a member may decide to formally charge a person or to issue a warning. Discretion is the freedom of being able to make that choice. Those who are in a position of power are able to exercise discretion but it is how they exercise their discretion that has to be considered. Each case has to be considered on its own merits.

The function of the Garda Síochána is set out in Section 7(1) of the Garda Síochána Act 2005 which includes the provision of policing and security services for the State with the objective of protecting property, vindicating the human rights of each individual, preventing crime, and bringing criminals to justice, including by detecting and investigating crime.

Section 7(4) of the Garda Síochána Act 2005 provides that
    “this section does not affect any powers, immunities, privileges or duties that members of the Garda Síochána have by virtue of any other enactment or at common law”.

The Minister may issue to the Garda Commissioner written directives concerning any matter relating to An Garda Síochána, however the Minister’s power may not be exercised to limit the independence of a member of the Garda Síochána in performing functions relating to the investigation of a specific offence or the prosecution of an offence as authorised by Section 8 of the Garda Síochána Act 2005.

An examination of Section 103 of the Road Traffic Act 1961 has established that it does allow for discretion as to whether or not to issue a notice. The legislation does not say that a prosecution must be instituted, it actually states in subsection (8)(b) that a notice contains a term in respect of “a person liable to be prosecuted” and Section 103(18) sets out the time periods in which a prosecution “may be brought”.

The Attorney General further stated that the legislation “has to be read against the backdrop of the long established general principle that “there is no obligation on prosecuting authority to prosecute in any given case”. The cancellation of a notice is simply saying that the notice that was issued is no longer going to be pursued any further and a prosecution will not be instituted.

The cancellation policy states that “Cancellation is defined as the decision of a Cancelling Authority to discontinue proceedings and to withdraw the Notice for a Fixed Charge Offence after carrying out a review”. In this respect, the Attorney General advises that:
    “I do not see anything in the wording of the legislation that would displace the normal prosecutorial discretion that is enjoyed by a prosecuting authority. The criminal justice system would quite simply grind to a halt if the Gardaí were obliged to prosecute every single infraction of the law no matter how technical or no matter what the public interest is”.

The Attorney General stated that it is a good strategy to have guidelines as and when discretion could be exercised. It would be more convenient for members to have some guidance and a policy on what to consider. The following extract reflects this view: “If you are entitled to exercise discretion not to prosecute it is difficult to see why you should not be able to, as a matter of administrative convenience for your staff, set out general policy consideration and examples of when such discretion might be exercised”.

The same was also confirmed by the Garda Commissioner:-
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Report_to_Minister_on_FCPS.pdf/Files/Report_to_Minister_on_FCPS.pdf
    In the context of FCN terminations, members of the Garda Síochána have an inherent common law power of discretion, by virtue of their office, from time immemorial.
    sections 7 and 8 of the Garda Síochána Act 2005, in relation to the statutory functions of An Garda Síochána, provides that such functions "do not affect any powers, immunities, privileges or duties that members ... have ... at common law". Section 25 of the 2005 Act specifically provides that the Minister's power in relation to the issue of directives "may not be exercised to limit the independence of a member ... in performing functions relating to the investigation of a specific offence or the prosecution of an offence ...”.
    In general terms, it is a well established fact that the use of discretionary powers has served An Garda Síochána well since the foundation of the State. This discretion is exercised by members of An Garda Síochána at every level in the exercise of their daily duties and responsibilities. It is an intrinsic feature of good policing, the application of which continues to assist in maintaining the positive relationship the organisation has developed with the general citizenry over its history.

So it would appear the answer to your query Kings Inn is no the Guards can't be compelled to act even by the use of shall in legislation. The use of discretion is also recognised in the Garda Code and Declaration of Professional Standards and Ethical Standards I'm advised.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If the Garda "fails to detect an offence", is he not negligent in his duty?

snubbleste wrote: »
    If the Garda "fails to detect an offence", is he not negligent in his duty?

To be negligent there must first be a duty of care. Gardaí owe no dury of care to the public as confirmed by the High Court in M vs Commissioner of an Garda Siochana & Ors [2011 IEHC 14].

Same applies in the US, the UK and no doubt most countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

That's someone's homework well and truly done if they ever figure out the search function, excellent work GM228.

Although I think we're at cross purposes in relation to compelled - of course no one can grab them and make them do something but there are cases where they will face sanction.

• Advertisement

That's someone's homework well and truly done if they ever figure out the search function, excellent work GM228.

Although I think we're at cross purposes in relation to compelled - of course no one can grab them and make them do something but there are cases where they will face sanction.

How are we at a cross-purpose in relation to compelled?

In any case how do you sanction someone for exercising a legal right of discretion which is protected by statute and encouraged to be used by the Garda code? Or are you talking about matters not in relation to applying the law?

How do you sanction someone for exercising a legal right of discretion which is protected by statute and encouraged to be used by the Garda code? Or are you talking about matters not in relation to applying the law?

Disciplinary procedures still occur when a Garda uses discretion. Wasn't there a case in England last year where an officer caught someone breaking into a business and let them off with a warning? She was reported by her partner and subsequently sacked despite claiming she was simply using her power of discretion.

Disciplinary procedures still occur when a Garda uses discretion. Wasn't there a case in England last year where an officer caught someone breaking into a business and let them off with a warning? She was reported by her partner and subsequently sacked despite claiming she was simply using her power of discretion.

A Guard can only be disciplined for using discretion if they abuse the power for their own personal gain, not for using discretion in general.

The officer in Merseyside was sacked for gross misconduct, by doing something contrary to their book of standards I believe, they may not have the same protection for their discretionary power as is the case here, without knowing if they do or not we can't compare. In any case a Guards use of discretion is encouraged as per the Garda code so miscoduct couldn't apply.

How are we at a cross-purpose in relation to compelled?

In any case how do you sanction someone for exercising a legal right of discretion which is protected by statute and encouraged to be used by the Garda code? Or are you talking about matters not in relation to applying the law?

The guards are compelled to act by threat of sanction by as per the initial case quoted. (DPP v Bartley)

Just to make sure we're not having a semantic argument on the use of compelled here. I realise even in Bartley the guard could not have been grabbed by the scruff of the neck and frog marched on an investigation, but would you not agree the threat of a criminal sanction is compelling someone to do something? Fair enough if not, I then see where the misunderstanding lies.

I realise also it's arseways as you usually can't impose a criminal sanction for forbearance hence the reason it's so close to the aforementioned pretty pictures at the front of the manual. It's a corollary of I'm compelled not to commit assault by the NFOAP Act.

This got all Austin and Bentham all of a sudden! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Excellent post GM228, probably the best thing I've ever read on Boards! Well done.

• Advertisement

The guards are compelled to act by threat of sanction by as per the initial case quoted. (DPP v Bartley)

The Bartley case principles no longer apply. The offence was based on following up a named offender for a felony. This specific common law offence originated from the Creagh vs Gamble [1888] 24 L.R. Ir. 458 case and was specific to a felony, not just any category of crime.

It was an offence for a Guard to willfully and without reasonable excuse or justification neglect to perform a duty imposed on them by law, the duty being in relation to a felony, now that felonies no longer exist the power of discretion is not limited and no duty is imposed on a Guard anymore.

To be found criminally guilty a Guard would have to commit an offence of not following a duty imposed by common or statutory law, no offence exists anymore as already shown a Guard is free to use discretion - a common law power which is protected by statute.

Just to make sure we're not having a semantic argument on the use of compelled here. I realise even in Bartley the guard could not have been grabbed by the scruff of the neck and frog marched on an investigation, but would you not agree the threat of a criminal sanction is compelling someone to do something? Fair enough if not, I then see where the misunderstanding lies.

Yes I agree if there was criminal sanction then that would compel someone to do something, but there is currently no criminal offence of applying discretion or not acting. In criminal liability, a simple omission or a part thereof cannot form the actus reus of a crime as a general rule, there would need to be a law that they must act - currently there isn't.

We aren't having a semantic argument on the use of the word compelled. Our argument is based on your comment that a Guard is "compelled" by law to carry out their duties and to enforce the law - as shown that is not the case.

The Bartley case is nearly 20 years old and newer case law has changed the consequences of not taking action as shown in 2011 that the Gardaí are not accountable for failing to act. Take the M vs Commissioner of an Garda Siochana & Ors [2011] IEHC 14 High Court case in which Mr Justice Hedigan confirmed that Gardaí are not responsible for failing to act as he ruled the Gardaí owe no duty of care to the public. Similar rulings have been made by the US and UK Supreme Court and the European Court of Human Rights. Mr Justice Hedigan noted in relation to his ruling that "This view of the law is entirely consistent with the jurisprudence of the European Court of Human Rights as set out in Z vs United Kingdom [2002] 34 E.H.R.R".

In light of the above case, rulings from the ECHR and persuasive rulings from other jurisdictions I think it would be near impossible to find a Guard criminally responsible in statute or common law for using the power of discretion.

Grand, thanks for clearing that up (the point on semantics).

While I admire the work you have done I remain unconvinced that the Criminal Law Act 1997 has removed the Common Law duty esposed in Bartley - I will read over the cases you have graciously spent time finding though before presenting (a rather inadequate, I fear) rebuttal. I find it hard to believe on an instictive level that should a person present at a barracks claiming to have been raped and giving the name and address of the accused a guard who fails to act is not looking at a very serious sanction but I will read the material.

Grand, thanks for clearing that up (the point on semantics).

While I admire the work you have done I remain unconvinced that the Criminal Law Act 1997 has removed the Common Law duty esposed in Bartley

It's possible the act didn't remove the offence per se, but it removed the qualifying criteria to be able to commit the offence - namely to fail to investigate a felony. As a felony does not exist how can you charge a Guard for failing to investigate a crime which dosn't exist.

The common law offence is specific in relation to bringing someone to justice who is reasonably suspected of commiting a felony, not an offence. If it was for commiting an offence then yes it would still apply today.

We both know an omission in itself cannot form the actus reus of a crime. There needs to be a specific mandatory duty to be carried out before the criminal element can apply.

I will read over the cases you have graciously spent time finding though before presenting (a rather inadequate, I fear) rebuttal. I find it hard to believe on an instictive level that should a person present at a barracks claiming to have been raped and giving the name and address of the accused a guard who fails to act is not looking at a very serious sanction but I will read the material.

The judge ruled that a Guard can't be held negligent due to not owing a duty of care to the public in relation to their actions arising from their prosecutorial or investigatory functions.

With regards to non criminal sanction, I'm not sure if you are aware of the disciplinary arrangements for the Gardaí, but they are as per satutory regulation and not an internal policy, Gardaí management are required to take action against a member only for an alleged breach specifically provided for in the regulations.

Using discretion is not an action which can leave a member liable to disciplinary action under the regulations except for corrupt or improper practice - i.e abusing the power of discretion for their private advantage.

It's possible the act didn't remove the offence per se, but it removed the qualifying criteria to be able to commit the offence - namely to fail to investigate a felony. As a felony does not exist how can you charge a Guard for failing to investigate a crime which dosn't exist.

The common law offence is specific in relation to bringing someone to justice who is reasonably suspected of commiting a felony, not an offence. If it was for commiting an offence then yes it would still apply today.

We both know an omission in itself cannot form the actus reus of a crime. There needs to be a specific mandatory duty to be carried out before the criminal element can apply.

The judge ruled that a Guard can't be held negligent due to not owing a duty of care to the public in relation to their actions arising from their prosecutorial or investigatory functions.

With regards to non criminal sanction, I'm not sure if you are aware of the disciplinary arrangements for the Gardaí, but they are as per satutory regulation and not an internal policy, Gardaí management are required to take action against a member only for an alleged breach specifically provided for in the regulations.

Using discretion is not an action which can leave a member liable to disciplinary action under the regulations except for corrupt or improper practice - i.e abusing the power of discretion for their private advantage.

There's a reply coming my friend - half of it's in word as we speak. I'm really enjoying this thanks for making this a great thread!

Apologies for introducing a semantic element here again but I submit that it is merely the distinction abolished by the Criminal Law Act 1997
    3.—
    (1) All distinctions between felony and misdemeanour are hereby abolished.
    (2) Subject to the provisions of this Act, on all matters on which a distinction has previously been made between felony and misdemeanour, including mode of trial, the law and practice in relation to all offences (including piracy) shall be the law and practice applicable at the commencement of this Act in relation to misdemeanour.

Furthermore LM v Commissioner of An Garda Síochána [2015] IESC 81, seems to deal with a duty of care in negligence cases as opposed to criminal liability which is imposed in this scenario for an omission.Therefore I believe Bartley to still be good law and not at all in conflict with your excellent posts above re discretion. I see them as spate issues to be frank.

Sorry I perhaps indicated that I was going to give you more. Apologies, but I’m far from finished arguing if you’re not! :pac:

PS Wording might have gone very college assingment on my part - sorry!

PPS Just seen I've crossed cases M is still a claim in damaged but I'll read it more closely tonight - trying to do this at work at the mo! :) I welcome any intermediate correction!

Apologies for introducing a semantic element here again but I submit that it is merely the distinction abolished by the Criminal Law Act 1997

Furthermore LM v Commissioner of An Garda Síochána [2015] IESC 81, seems to deal with a duty of care in negligence cases as opposed to criminal liability which is imposed in this scenario for an omission.Therefore I believe Bartley to still be good law and not at all in conflict with your excellent posts above re discretion. I see them as spate issues to be frank.

Sorry I perhaps indicated that I was going to give you more. Apologies, but I’m far from finished arguing if you’re not! :pac:

PS Wording might have gone very college assingment on my part - sorry!

PPS Just seen I've crossed cases M is still a claim in damaged but I'll read it more closely tonight - trying to do this at work at the mo! :) I welcome any intermediate correction!

Bartley can't be applicable law as it centres around a common law offence based on a felony. It's a well known that the 2007 Act abolised the use of common law offences in regard to a felony.

The debates around the Criminal Law Bill confirmed common law offences and powers based on felony would be abolished:-
    http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/seanad1997022600006?opendocument

Most notably Judge Yvonne Murphy noted this during the Church sex abuse scandal in relation to the little known offence of "misprison of felony" - a person who knew that a felony had been committed and, although not a party to it, concealed it from the authorities, was thereby guilty of misprision of felony.

She basically noted that due to the abolishment of the "distinction" by the 2007 Act that common law offences regarding felonies could no longer be applied and such offences were effectively abolished.

I'll concede the point although I'd be obliged to being spoon fed the provision, a cursory glance is not yieldings result for me.

Other than to say I would be very surprised that if an identical scenario was to emerge, I am sure that some form of redress would be forwarded along the lines of Bartley - however as above I concede the argument won in your favour.

Bastard :pac:

Seriously though, great thread - you may want to reignite the powers of arrest thread given the quality of your posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

They have full discretion. Not compelled by law. But can face disciplinary action if found negligent, fraudulent(for gain etc) or endanger a life purposefully AFAIK.

But is this about the interpretation of law or real life use. Not interested in interpretation as words can be interpreted a long way within ever expanding boundaries in court.

cursai wrote: »
    They have full discretion. Not compelled by law. But can face disciplinary action if found negligent, fraudulent(for gain etc) or endanger a life purposefully AFAIK.

But is this about the interpretation of law or real life use. Not interested in interpretation as words can be interpreted a long way within ever expanding boundaries in court.

Interpretation is something that follows certain rules and the boundaries are much more tightly controlled than one would imagine. Indeed although far from exhaustive there is even an Interpretation Act. Other than that you're looking at a Jurisprudence course I am far from fully qualified to give.

While the point has been overridden by more pressing concerns in GM228's posts the cases he/she has cited have made it quite clear that public policy will prevent a claim under negligence - how far that could be stretched is debatable - it certainly seems to stretch to poorly investigated rapes. I'm not sure how much worse it would have to get to see a change in that policy but until Lord Atkin woke up feeling frisky one morning we didn't have the basis of modern negligence so who really knows.

I know a Garda who faced a disciplinary action for issuing a fixed charge penalty under Section 51a of the Road Traffic Act instead of doing a file and seeking a direction for a charge under Section 52. From what I'm seeing here it appears he was in the right and simply using his discretion.

• Advertisement

I know a Garda who faced a disciplinary action for issuing a fixed charge penalty under Section 51a of the Road Traffic Act instead of doing a file and seeking a direction for a charge under Section 52. From what I'm seeing here it appears he was in the right and simply using his discretion.

Aye, putting aside the serious crimes aspect my own, poorly conducted, research backs up everything GM228 says in relation to minor offences. The peace office discretion is incredibly interesting.

I do hope you're studying/practicing GM - this would make an excellent paper, one enthusiastically read by junior members of AGS I would imagine!

I have my doubts whether the discretion is blanket of course, but the offences to which it applied would be fascinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Aye, putting aside the serious crimes aspect my own, poorly conducted, research backs up everything GM228 says in relation to minor offences. The peace office discretion is incredibly interesting.

I do hope you're studying/practicing GM - this would make an excellent paper, one enthusiastically read by junior members of AGS I would imagine!

I have my doubts whether the discretion is blanket of course, but the offences to which it applied would be fascinating!

get yourself a copy of the garda code....i dont think its a thing that is looked at case by case rather than following a standard (discretion) guideline.

cursai wrote: »
    get yourself a copy of the garda code....i dont think its a thing that is looked at case by case rather than following a standard (discretion) guideline.

The issue being driven at though is the Common Law power of discretion. The Garda Code can't AFAIK override the common law power espoused.

Put in ridiculous terms. The head honcho of the guards could order Garda Plod to arrest Mr. Scumbag and Garda Plod would be completely within his powers to refuse in certain circumstances. Frankly it's a completely sensible position and excellent check and balance on the system. One I expect is not there by design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

The head honcho of the guards could order Garda Plod to arrest Mr. Scumbag and Garda Plod would be completely within his powers to refuse in certain circumstances

It's interesting to note what Dermot Walsh and Brian Lenihan stated:-
    Even if the objective preconditions for the exercise of his or her power of arrest are present, it will still be a matter for the discretion of the individual member whether or not to effect the arrest. If he or she exercises that discretion in favour of arrest purely on the basis that he or she had been instructed to do so, the member will have failed to exercise a genuine discretion and the arrest will be unlawful. It follows that no executive authority, not even the Garda commissioner or the minister, can lawfully direct how a member of the Garda Siochana should exercise his or her police powers or discharge his her law enforcement duties in any individual case
    garda cannot be subject to a direction

Considering that many prosecutions have been successful following arrests which have been directed by senior officers I do wonder would any eagle-eyed criminal have grounds for a quashed conviction on the grounds that their arrest was unlawful? THAT would be a very interesting test case.

Equally it also presents grounds for an appeal to any sanction a Guard would have if he/she was disciplined for exercising discretion especially when use of discretion is not grounds for disciplinary action under the statutory regulations for discipline and The Garda Code and Declaration of Professional Standards and Ethical Standards recognises and encourages the use of discretion.

The Attorney General has stated that Gardaí can exercise their power, but "as a matter of administrative convenience for your staff, set out general policy consideration and examples of when such discretion might be exercised". In other words the Gardaí can give their members examples of when best to use it, not when they can't use it.

Is the Garda code publicly available?

Unfortunately not.

It's interesting to note what Dermot Walsh and Brian Lenihan stated:-

Considering that many prosecutions have been successful following arrests which have been directed by senior officers I do wonder would any eagle-eyed criminal have grounds for a quashed conviction on the grounds that their arrest was unlawful? THAT would be a very interesting test case.

Equally it also presents grounds for an appeal to any sanction a Guard would have if he/she was disciplined for exercising discretion especially when use of discretion is not grounds for disciplinary action under the statutory regulations for discipline and The Garda Code and Declaration of Professional Standards and Ethical Standards recognises and encourages the use of discretion.

The Attorney General has stated that Gardaí can exercise their power, but "as a matter of administrative convenience for your staff, set out general policy consideration and examples of when such discretion might be exercised". In other words the Gardaí can give their members examples of when best to use it, not when they can't use it.

Perhaps we should distinguish between a direction as an order in the field and a direction from the D.P.P. which is more like permission.

Sorry to dig up this thread again, but I believe I have traced (with a lot of help of Sir William Blacksone and William Lambarde writings) the origins of the Garda common law power of discretion back to circa 925 under King Athelstan's code of law and the "tithing-man" (also known as the boroes ealder/borsholder, boroehead, headboroe, or chief pledge depending on area and local custom) under the original system of policing which eventually became know as the "frankpledge" under King Canute circa 1017, I think many believe that the system of frankpledge first came about under King Henry II's The Assize of Clarendon 1166, it didn't, it was a system of Canute, the 1166 Act only restored the system after it fell apart following the conquests. I often mistakenly refer to King Canute as the C**t King by the way (he was commonly known as Cnut the Great) :)

In order to ensure that the system operated properly the King divided the country into shires or counties, and in each appointed as his representative a "scir-gerefa" (aka the High Sheriff). Tithingmen were the heads of "tythings" (groupings of 10 families, and 10 tythings were known as the "hundred"), ironically those who were not part of the tythings were the Franklin class - aka the Freemans and they were constantly at odds with the new legal order (I guess some things stand the test of time :) ) and so excluded from the protection of the law that the tythingmen gave.

Tithingmen eventually became constables after the Norman conquests, and in 1252 they became Petie Constables (having authority only in one area) and the new High Constable (having authority over the hundred):-
    petie Constables were devised in townes and parishes, for the aide of the Constables of the Hundreds: so of latter times also, Borsholders, Tythingmen, Headboroes and suche like, have bene used as petie Constables, within their owne boroes and tythings. And yet not so universally, but that some of them have at this daye none other but their old office. For in some of the Western parts of England, you shal see that where there be many Tythingmen in one parish, there only one of them is for the Queene that is a Constable, and the rest do serve but as the auncient Tythingmen did.
    These petty constables have two offices united in them: the one ancient, the other modern. Their ancient office is that of head-borough, tithing-man. or borsholder; . . . their more modern office is that of constable merely; which was appointed, as was observed, so lately as the reign of Edward 111.''' in order to assist the high constable

Circa 1195 King Richard I appointed Knights to ensure all males over 15 took an oath to keep the peace, the Knights later became the Conservators or Wardens of the Peace circa 1250. As constables had a local rather than sovereign power it is believed they developed a close working relationship with the wardens for political reasons and to ensure a smoother justice system. In 1344 the Wardens of the Peace were given powers to determine minor crimes and in 1360 the power to determine all crimes. These wardens eventually became Justices of the Peace circa 1360 (and so we have the birth of judges), resulting in the wardens loosing some of their power:-
    During the Middle Ages, as the institutions and instruments of royal government were evolved, this "head man" came also to be seen as the representative of the village community to whom orders could be transmitted and upon whom local responsibility for their enforcement could be imposed by higher authorities: the government of the realm operating through the justices of assize and. later, the justices of the peace. The history of the constable is thus one of the gradual adapting of an ssentially local officer, created to meet the needs of an autonomous village community, to serve the purposes of a wider, national government.

Constables also became known as common law peace officers, and Gardaí are still members of that common law peace office. Tythings also held court sessions to punish law custom breakers and regular meetings to decide how to run the shires or counties so the origins of the role of a court and local government could also be traced back to them.

The original tithingmen had complete discretion in how they upheld the law and were even permitted to kill anyone who broke the law with complete impunity, that power of discretion remained when they became constables/peace officers and those powers were recognised under the common law from day one, thankfully the power to kill no longer applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In order to ensure that the system operated properly the King divided the country into shires or counties, and in each appointed as his representative a "scir-gerefa" (aka the High Sheriff). Tithingmen were the heads of "tythings" (groupings of 10 families known as the "hundred"), ironically those who were not part of the tythings were the Franklin class - aka the Freemans and they were constantly at odds with the new legal order (I guess some things stand the test of time :) ) and so excluded from the protection of the law that the tythingmen gave.

Tithingmen eventually became constables after the Norman conquests, and in 1252 they became Petie Constables (having authority only in one area) and the new High Constable (having authority over the hundred):-
    Is the last bit correct? If a hundred is only ten families, just how many people would a Petie Constables have authority over?

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Is the last bit correct? If a hundred is only ten families, just how many people would a Petie Constables have authority over?

Typo, well spotted.

Thythings were groupings of 10 families, and a group of 10 tythings were known as the hundred.

Advertisement