Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf Baths demolishion/redevelopement

Options
  • 09-09-2016 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I seen this morning that demolishing works on the Clontarf Seawater swimming pool have started. It seems the place is going to be redeveloped and will be open to public again. Has anyone more information about this project?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

marvin42 wrote: »
    I seen this morning that demolishing works on the Clontarf Seawater swimming pool have started. It seems the place is going to be redeveloped and will be open to public again. Has anyone more information about this project?

i see what was there is being demolished, that it is all

I presume 2975/11 is the latest planning but how long does that permission last? 5 years are they getting in there before it lapses

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kevsterr

Any further news on this? Would love to see it reopen in some capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

marvin42 wrote: »

We're just going to have to sea what happens we will be waiting a whale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Just had a look at Dublin-City planning and there is nothing about planning around the baths.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I reckon any work going on is probably in relation to the wall / drainage.
    I've heard nothing on clontarf.ie or anywhere else since that other plan went in around 4 or 5 years ago now

• Advertisement

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Just had a look at Dublin-City planning and there is nothing about planning around the baths.

2975/11 http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/wchvarylogin.display

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I reckon any work going on is probably in relation to the wall / drainage.
    I've heard nothing on clontarf.ie or anywhere else since that other plan went in around 4 or 5 years ago now
    there's this separate plan
    Alterations to the existing Baths and site to include the provision of a flood defence wall to protect the Baths and link with Dublin City Council's proposed Clontarf Flood defences as approved by an Board Pleanala (reg ref 29N.ja0008).
    4076/10

Any more news on this ?

I haven been driving the coast road in weeks with the on-going works @ the wooden bridge...

Cllr Heney has a question down on it for November area meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

I passed it yesterday. The work done to date seems to be demolition of the old walls and pump house and a clean up around the trees at the entrance gates.

• Advertisement

Finally seems to be some decent progress on this.

A steel structure was put up last week. Looks like the changing rooms / coffee shop will be reasonably sizable.

Also the existing sea way seems to have been reinforced all way around, and the works mostly completed.

Probably viewing a summer opening?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I can't remember when this was closed but I remember being at it some time in the 90s, it was probably closed but we climbed over anyway, gurriers that we were. It was absolutely manky, the pool was just full of seaweed and shellfish stuck to everything. If it was actually clean and there were changing rooms, I'd probably use it, but I'd imagine it would be absolutely rammed any time the sun came out in summer.
    Has anyone actually swam in it in the past?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I would have swam there several times in the late 80s.
    It was cold!
    Plenty of small round orange sponge things in the water.

Are we sure it's going to be "baths" as such? There's no evidence on the internet, or on the planning permission signs outside, of this. Just cafe etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Has anyone actually swam in it in the past?

I swam in it loads in the mid 1980's. Whenever the sun came out during the summer holidays we would be sent down for the day. About 20 neighbours kids ranging in in age from 4 - 15/16 each with a packed lunch. One of the older kids would be given a couple of quid to buy ice pops at lunchtime. The place would be jam packed so you would have to get there early to save a spot. Great memories :D

Are we sure it's going to be "baths" as such? There's no evidence on the internet, or on the planning permission signs outside, of this. Just cafe etc.

As far as I know , there is planning permission for refurbishment of the pool too. It was granted a few years back. Not sure yet if the current construction work is for also this or just the restaurant/cafe.

Had a look again yesterday. It really looks like there's no pool going in according to the planning document there and the works that I could see. Looked like a weirdo climbing up on the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Use to swim there in the late 70s bloody freezing...

Ran past this a month ago and again yesterday, and work seems to have mostly stalled.

The steel work is up, and has been for over a month, but not much else to report.

Was hoping that this would have been completed and in use by June / July. Cant see that at this stage.

Further update...

Ran past on Sunday, and the steel seems to be completed, but still no glass in as yet. The structure itself is pretty large, to probably encompass, showers, changing rooms, and a sizable sandwich bar / coffee doc.

With the progress to date, id say it will be another 3-4 months, at least before this is open. Pity as they will miss the summer...

• Advertisement

Further update...

Ran past on Sunday, and the steel seems to be completed, but still no glass in as yet. The structure itself is pretty large, to probably encompass, showers, changing rooms, and a sizable sandwich bar / coffee doc.

With the progress to date, id say it will be another 3-4 months, at least before this is open. Pity as they will miss the summer...

Yeah, should be up and running for the Christmas! Good to see the site developed though. Has Been an eyesore for years. Hopefully the builders do a better job of finishing it than the crowd who did the tram shelter further along the sea front...

Ran past yesterday morning, and the glass is all in place now, and the resulting structure is pretty large.

Actually looks very well, just a pity that they have missed summer and most probably autumn at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

Cant see this being ready in 6 weeks or even September.

Its been worked on since before Xmas at this stage, and there never seems to be more that 2-3 workmen on site any one time.

I do like the line "The company had not yet decided on what basis or when the Sea water would be warmed up". Cause its not going to happen... No way it would be viable for the operators to try to heat that volume of water on an ongoing basis.

Anyway still do wish them the best, and will definitely use this when it does eventually open.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

It seems like a great idea.. finally cleaning up that eyesore.. il look forward to taking a dip.. although I would have thought it was a pipe dream to heat that volume of water.. so il bring my aldi wetsuit..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

I never knew of its existence until today. Would have cycled by it a few times.

Any idea of the cost to use it per session.

Would definitely use it albeit with a wetsuit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I do like the line "The company had not yet decided on what basis or when the Sea water would be warmed up". Cause its not going to happen... No way it would be viable for the operators to try to heat that volume of water on an ongoing basis.

Just wondering, why do you think this? I assume most indoor pools are heated and we are not talking boiling temps like 27/28c would be quite warm. The water isn't 'flowing' from the sea, it's emptied every week or so and fully filtered coming in. Only thing I could see hampering the heating of the water would be that it's outside.

Is it free into use the pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Tall glass...very doubtful it's free to use. The overheads to keep this system going would be quite expensive, nevermind running the cafe/bar. In addition, I doubt the pool will be heated in any way shape or form based on the info I have. Unfortunately I can't say anything more as to why I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Tall glass...very doubtful it's free to use. The overheads to keep this system going would be quite expensive, nevermind running the cafe/bar. In addition, I doubt the pool will be heated in any way shape or form based on the info I have. Unfortunately I can't say anything more as to why I know

Interesting that the use of the pool won't be free, considering it would be 4.50€ to use a DCC pool, which would be heated, filtered and treated also has classes etc.. I just hope someone has not made a serious error here by not offering an indoor pool like DCC operate with plenty of glass to give a nice view to the outside. With the added benefit it could be used all year around.

These are just my impressions, I will check it out, although I can't really see myself dipping into it. I have never been a fan of sea water pools, even in the Spanish Isles. Is there a gym or anything else offered?

I'm getting the idea that this pool is just for nostalgia or something. It doesn't sound exactly modern if you get me. If not, what I mean is there are a lot of options available pool wise around the area that could grab the crowd for the reasons above.

I do wish all the best of luck, but as I said I just hope they haven't missed a trick by enclosing it and heating it along with fully treating/filtering the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

May have further details next week. Not on costs but on what exactly is being built.

It is definitely not enclosed, as in covered/indoor. The fact it's outdoor and the length would interest me. Anyway I'll have some more detail next week

Advertisement