Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velogames Fantasy Tour de France 2016

Options
  • 20-06-2016 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

anyone set up a league yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bump.

A week away now, have a provisional team done. Any boards league yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Here you go... 18261222589

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I'm in my first Velogames, very exciting!

I have my team selected, I presume if a specific rider doesn't actually start I can change it, before Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

bazermc wrote: »

I have my team selected, I presume if a specific rider doesn't actually start I can change it, before Saturday?

No your left with the other 8

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 250 ✭✭SeamusAFA

bazermc wrote: »

Yes can change before Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Will join! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 13,306 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I must set up my team!

Edit: Just entered my team. 26 in the Boards league so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm in.

Once again I put little or no effort into team selection................... :o

Does anyone know how I could go about submitting a boards.ie jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

League here with a prize for the winner: 510114082514

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

crosstownk wrote: »

Does anyone know how I could go about submitting a boards.ie jersey?

damn that was wrong shoulda tried it first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

here we go again.... 3 weeks of mayhem.. Hopefully a good one for Dan M and Sammy B....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

I've signed up again. Very hard to pick a team on budget this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

spock. wrote: »
    I've signed up again. Very hard to pick a team on budget this year.
    No point making it easy! I have 4 x 4 pointers, picked for the assist points not for anything they might individually achieve...

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

I had a mad dream last night to get Alaphillipe on my team so now I am left with Him, Dan and Kittel...... I hope Etixx QS have a good tour!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

No point making it easy! I have 4 x 4 pointers, picked for the assist points not for anything they might individually achieve...

I have 4 pointers for no reason other than allow me pick better GC riders. I'll still fail miserably

• Registered Users Posts: 47 waywardchild

First place in the league never expected that very happy. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

As we enter the final stage, it looks as if top spot is all sewn up and some minor positional changes are still up for grabs in the top 10.
    78774a734fd84cb6b59d71717fca601d.png

"Shedites Silverados" should hold off "Bottom Brackets" even allowing for a Kittel stage win

http://www.velogames.com/tour-de-france/2016/leaguescores.php?league=18261222589

Surprisingly none of the top three selected Froome and used the money/points saved to select a stronger overall squad.

Only one of the top 10 did not select Sagan.

On a personal level i would be happy to maintain a top 10 place which would be a big improvement on last year where i was in the bottom 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Still 500 points for gettinv the winner !

Did a quick check on the maths and even allowing for the final gc points i dont think the leader will be caught. They will pick up points for Quintana, Mollema, Costa, Dan Martin, GVA and DeGendt.

Spare a thought for 3rd place who got this close having selected contador as his gc man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Sagan got me half my points,

• Advertisement

Kelderman and Ten Dam!!!!!!! What was i thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

My first week awesomeness was brought back down to earth later on. Still there though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Pinot :pac:

Mr. Grand Tour Adam Hansen who likes to quite often make an appearance in breakaways hasn't featured at all in the Tour this year.
    He was a nice cheap option that a lot of people went with, but also because he had a realistic chance of doing well in a couple of stages.

It'd be cool if there was a 'dream team' on the Velogames website, i.e. the best team that could be picked with a budget of 100 credits and which contained 2 All-Rounders, 2 Climbers, 1 Sprinter, 3 Unclassed Riders and 1 Wild Card.

So I made a quick 'calculation' to see what was the best I could come up with.

Class | Rider | Cost | Points
    All-Rounder | Alejandro Valverde | 14 | 784
    All-Rounder | Julian Alaphilippe | 10 | 654
    Climber | Rafal Majka | 12 | 945
    Climber | Daniel Martin | 12 | 739
    Sprinter | Mark Cavendish | 12 | 1044
    Unclassified | Thomas De Gendt | 6 | 725
    Unclassified | Greg Van Avermaet | 8 | 701
    Unclassified | Jarlinson Pantano | 6 | 671
    Wildcard | Peter Sagan | 20 | 1703
    | Total | 100 | 7966

That's a total of 7966 points, which is a lot more than the team currently in first place overall in the whole game (6570 points).*

Three observations: (i) you didn't need to pick the most expensive all-rounder riders (Froome, Quintana, Contador). Their return isn't enough to offset the cost. Froome dominated GC, scored a lot of points, but still cost too much (26 credits). (ii) Sagan was a must. He was 'cheap' at 20 credits.
    (iii) Selecting riders who cost 4 credits won't get you a lot of points. The highest scoring 4-credit rider was Stef Clement (290 points).

*I realise that the scores will change after the final stage today.

Final Results have been updated so congratulations to Mark and "Shedites Silverados"
    9638b093eacc48ebabef4b66b267894b.png

'Henao Henao don't dream it's over' is possibly one of the best team names ever :pac:

It'd be cool if there was a 'dream team' on the Velogames website, i.e. the best team that could be picked with a budget of 100 credits and which contained 2 All-Rounders, 2 Climbers, 1 Sprinter, 3 Unclassed Riders and 1 Wild Card.

So I made a quick 'calculation' to see what was the best I could come up with.

Class | Rider | Cost | Points
    All-Rounder | Alejandro Valverde | 14 | 784
    All-Rounder | Julian Alaphilippe | 10 | 654
    Climber | Rafal Majka | 12 | 945
    Climber | Daniel Martin | 12 | 739
    Sprinter | Mark Cavendish | 12 | 1044
    Unclassified | Thomas De Gendt | 6 | 725
    Unclassified | Greg Van Avermaet | 8 | 701
    Unclassified | Jarlinson Pantano | 6 | 671
    Wildcard | Peter Sagan | 20 | 1703
    | Total | 100 | 7966
    That's a total of 7966 points, which is a lot more than the team currently in first place overall in the whole game (6570 points).*

Three observations: (i) you didn't need to pick the most expensive all-rounder riders (Froome, Quintana, Contador). Their return isn't enough to offset the cost. Froome dominated GC, scored a lot of points, but still cost too much (26 credits). (ii) Sagan was a must. He was 'cheap' at 20 credits.
    (iii) Selecting riders who cost 4 credits won't get you a lot of points. The highest scoring 4-credit rider was Stef Clement (290 points).

*I realise that the scores will change after the final stage today.

Following up on this if you calculate rider value based on score versus cost it is clear that Froome does not represent value in the game.
    3c66180f6cf94cfb9b2ae949ac1fee0d.png
    It is not the full list as did not put in results for all riders but i was surprised to see that Quintana and Dumoulin represented such relative poor value.

From that is possible to pick a team without Froome to give a total of approx 9400 along the lines of
    Yates,
    Valverde,
    Majka,
    Bardet,
    Kristoff,
    De Gendt,
    Pantano,
    Van Avermaet,
    Sagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭Shedite27

cunavalos wrote: »
    Final Results have been updated so congratulations to Mark and "Shedites Silverados"
    9638b093eacc48ebabef4b66b267894b.png
    Cheers, was absolutely flying about halfway through, was about 70th overall, fell away a bit in the last week.

Good game, definitely think in the TDF it's a case of having as many chances as you can and picking a balanced squad, rather than some dead rubbers. My 4 mid-priced picks (Van Avermat, Rohan Dennis, Tony Martin and De Gendt), were half stage wins, and half did nothing.

Also, I reckon in TDF, riders with a bit of pedigree are more likely to win, rather than Vuelta/Giro where cheaper riders can make a name for themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement