Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to repeat UCD for Actuary? Already in College...

Options
  • 07-06-2016 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

For the sake of anonymity I will let the university I am currently attending be called X, though it is NOT UCD.

Let me start at the beginning.

I completed my Leaving Certificate in 2014 at 17 years of age. My first choice on my CAO was DN230 Actuarial and Financial Studies (UCD). The points requirement for this course was around 560 points and has steadily increased over the last few years.

I performed under my potential in the LC and got 455 points. I was offered Arts in X and took the course out of panic. I started on the course and tried to tailor it to the actuarial programme in UCD, taking mathematics and economics.

I'm not motivated for the course nor the college. I do think myself that I am being extremely unfair on the university, I do think it is a nice place, but it's REALLY not what I wanted. I was so set on doing that course in UCD that I never really considered anything else.

I'm now 19 and have just finished my second year. I probably didn't do as well as I could have in my second year exams due to my lack of interest. I feel like I have no direction to go in now.

I'm seriously considering leaving the university next year and going back and resitting the LC in 2017 so I can get the points for the actuarial programme. I know I will lose the free fees scheme and grant approval but I don't care. I think it'll be worth it.

Or it'll be a waste of time, I won't get the points and be back to square one again.

Any thoughts guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

I'd say stick with it.

You'll get into a higher diploma/msc in actuarial science no worries with a maths/economics combo, if the cost is no problem to you. That's two more years in university, verses repeating and then four more years of university, which is five. In terms of cost and time, there's no comparison.

Not only that, if you were to take modules that allow you direct exceptions from the Core Technicals (Survival Analysis for CT4), you can essentially graduate with a half tailored actuary degree anyway, then maybe do the diploma, or become a student of the institute of actuaries and knock out some of the exams that way.

If you haven't been doing that, then you're probably not interested in actuary anyway.

I'd stay away from the economics modules though as much as possible though. Economics is kind of ****e unless you have econometrics with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ciaraofcourse

I'd say you have 2 options (other than doing the LC again!)

- As was said above do a post grad for example http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/MSc_Actuarial_Science_v1.pdf

- Or just slog out your Arts degree taking as much Maths / Stats as possible and then just apply for jobs in the sector. Quite a few employers actually prefer a graduate without any exemptions as they will not have to pay you as much at the start. Plenty of people start the Institute exams from scratch it takes longer but it's possible! You can find jobs by registering with the recruitment agencies Acumen Resources or Raretec Recruitment. A bit of summer intern experience would help but not necessary!

Advertisement