Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

"Supercell Thunderstorm over Galway" 8/5/16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Watched them forming and head towards Galway. Had a little blast of rain few distant booms nothing else

NW Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Hi guys best storm in Galway for years, non stop rumbles of thunder ,utube link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEs6mD9lU9A&feature=youtu.be

Man! Thats a feckin wall cloud on the left!!!!! SWEEET!!!!

Im now thinking thats a Supercell... what time was this at exactly?

Update the title of the video to " Possible Supercell Thunderstorm over Galway"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Iancar29 wrote: »

That was around 6-15 pm I went after it for a few miles and at one stage it formed a funnell and I could see it turning but due to torrential rain I could not film it

Thanks for the report!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Don't know how to change the title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Don't know how to change the title

Click Edit on the first post,the title bar will be at the top and you can change it there
    You can only do it within 48hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Click Edit on the first post,the title bar will be at the top and you can change it there
    You can only do it within 48hrs

Or a helpful Mod could assist :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

IMAG1140_zpsgluu8ipj.jpg

Got caught under this at salthill. Lightning was ferocious. Didn't stop a bunch of clowns trying to impress some girls by jumping around on the diving tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Douglas Hot Fridge

FortySeven wrote: »
    IMAG1140_zpsgluu8ipj.jpg

Got caught under this at salthill. Lightning was ferocious. Didn't stop a bunch of clowns trying to impress some girls by jumping around on the diving tower.

If storms and waves don't stop them a little bit of electricity won't :)

• Advertisement

FortySeven wrote: »
    IMAG1140_zpsgluu8ipj.jpg

Got caught under this at salthill.

Thats the wall cloud , aka where a funnel or tornado would form !!! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I followed it as far as Barna and it formed a funnel but never dropped to the ground, I could see it turning but due to the torrential rain I could not take a picture, but it was exciting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,692 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

how is a wall cloud formed and why is it called so?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    how is a wall cloud formed and why is it called so?

Wall clouds are basically the location of strongest updraft within the CB tower.
    They're formed when some rain-cooled air is pulled upward, along with the more buoyant air. The rain-cooled air is very humid, when its lifted it quickly saturates to form the lowered cloud base. Nearly always in a rain free area too. Its when these begin to rotate (which Aerohead said he saw a signs of ) then its becomes a mesocylone.

img20140520_IMG_1172-Edit-2-Edit_lg-thumb-520x346-365.jpg

Supercell%20diagram.JPG

Radar scan from the time with info attached.

385716.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Really interesting photo, video and explanation, many thanks to all for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Hooter23

An image of the lightning I captured from the storm in Galway...

http://imgur.com/ktxP24g

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Got caught out on the lake around Oughterard during this, just made it to shore before the worst hit. Most spectacular thunderstorm I've seen in years, incredibly frequent lightning and thunder constantly rumbling. Seemed to appear out of nowhere too, one minute a bright humid day, the next dark clouds overhead and head for the shore!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Another thunderstorm in Galway in last hour more out towards the Oranmore area

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I got got in the thunderstorm last Sunday while on the bike going from Spiddal to Moycullen. I got absolutely soaked. I didn't see much of it though as I just kept the head down! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement