Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-04-2016, 11:31   #1
Tree

Baked anything tasty lately?

In the spirit of "What did you have for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner" threads from Cooking & Recipes, did you bake anything tasty lately?

[The usual rules for these threads in C&R is no picture quoting and no pimping of your blog]

To start I'll offer up last night's loaf of bread. Basic white bread with a bit of horlicks and wheatgerm. Usually baked in a loaf tin but last night in a casserole dish to change things up. It's even harder to try to slice up

Advertisement
17-04-2016, 11:33   #2
Tree

And something sweet (that's not actually baked, whoops).

Brioche doughnuts, fried at 175ºC, sprinkled in a blend of horlicks and caster sugar. I also provided dark chocolate ganache for dipping.
17-04-2016, 12:22   #3
Dizzyblonde
Category Moderator

Great idea for a thread
Your bread and doughnuts look amazing.

I made lemon slices on Friday.

17-04-2016, 21:33   #4
dee_mc

No pics (and they're not the most photogenic anyway, to be fair!) but I've just made a batch of fruit and egg mini muffins for relatively healthy snacks over the next few days. They're very easy and quick to make, just eggs, bananas, raspberries and vanilla extract. Tasty too
(4) thanks from:
18-04-2016, 22:48   #5
tampopo

First of the year with the rhubarb crumble,

From a local community garden, thick stalks cut large. I forgot to stew them so they were crunchy, though well cooked!
For a change, I didn't measure the ingredients, just throwing together some flour, sugar, margarine and some jumbo oats.
Advertisement
23-04-2016, 11:19   #6
Zelda247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
In the spirit of "What did you have for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner" threads from Cooking & Recipes, did you bake anything tasty lately?

[The usual rules for these threads in C&R is no picture quoting and no pimping of your blog]

To start I'll offer up last night's loaf of bread. Basic white bread with a bit of horlicks and wheatgerm. Usually baked in a loaf tin but last night in a casserole dish to change things up. It's even harder to try to slice up
Horlicks?

Last edited by Faith; 23-04-2016 at 18:04. Reason: Picture deleted
23-04-2016, 21:59   #7
Tree

Yep! It's got a lovely maltiness, and the milk helps the loaf to keep longer than 24hours. I'd highly recommend it.
24-04-2016, 10:23   #8
Zelda247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
Yep! It's got a lovely maltiness, and the milk helps the loaf to keep longer than 24hours. I'd highly recommend it.
Very interesting, I love Horlicks, do you think I could add it to Brown Bread?
24-04-2016, 10:45   #9
tampopo

More rhubarb. This time from mein very own garden.

I had wanted to make this,
http://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/recipe.../view/?id=3465

but in a hurry as the oven was already on with a sausage meat quiche. Laptop was off. Crap. Tried my phone, but can't see comments at the end of a FB album. Oh well, improvise.

I chopped up the rhubarb into small pieces. And mashed a banana and mixed both. Rolled out the pastry and filled with the mix. Then I had a pear leftover from my Mon-Fri brekkie schedule and fanned it around the top. Oh yeah, with added cardamom seeds chopped fine. As fine as I could get them.

Worked a treat.

with quiche to the right...

looking for a name now, for my invention!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-04-2016, 17:17   #10
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda247 View Post
Very interesting, I love Horlicks, do you think I could add it to Brown Bread?
Absolutely, for a soda bread, I wouldn't add too much unless you like the bread to be sweet. Add a couple of spoons with the flour.

For brown yeast bread, swap out any sugar you usually use for the horlicks.
Thanks from:
24-04-2016, 20:14   #11
MusicalMegami

Wow an inspiration thread love it! Got ideas for the next week or so

I cant post pics its seems, but made some burger buns yesterday came out delicious only slightly tweaked a recipe from annies eats but definitly best recipe i've tried by far, and i actually had seed to make em look all proper
(2) thanks from:
24-04-2016, 20:17   #12
MusicalMegami

Tree that bread looks amazing! I've had no success with a good loaf but the crumb on yours looking real good, and those slices dont even look like you struggled you should see mines, i need to invest in a bread knife..asap lol
24-04-2016, 20:32   #13
RentDayBlues

Wohoo, love these threads. Had the inlaws over for lunch so made gf brown bread, banana bread and carrot cake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20160424-WA0004.jpg (211.6 KB, 573 views)
24-04-2016, 22:37   #14
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicalMegami View Post
Tree that bread looks amazing! I've had no success with a good loaf but the crumb on yours looking real good, and those slices dont even look like you struggled you should see mines, i need to invest in a bread knife..asap lol
The first slice or two always comes out ok, the rest of the loaf is an uneven disaster Settled on a wet dough after years of optimisation, looking at nearly 90% hydration some weeks.
24-04-2016, 23:23   #15
angeldelight

Raspberry sponge at the weekend
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (1.75 MB, 676 views)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion