Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan

Options
  • 29-03-2016 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,I am moving to Balbriggan in few weeks,can anybody help which electricity,gas provider, television and broadband,bins all these basic things?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Bin service is provided by Panda and costs €110 per year and then you put a tag on the Black Bin (general refuse) each time you put it out - this costs approx €9.50.

As regards the other services it is up to yourself which provider to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 richballs

Hi im looking to buy a house in Balbriggan soon could you tell me some good estates to buy in and which ones to avoid tks guy's

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jeffy17

Depends if you're looking at new builds or second hand houses, your budget and how many rooms etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15 richballs

Jeffy17 wrote: »
    Depends if you're looking at new builds or second hand houses, your budget and how many rooms etc

I'm not to bothered new or second houses were looking at

richballs wrote: »
    I'm not to bothered new or second houses were looking at

There's 3 new builds at the minute:
    Taylor Hill - nice looking houses but if you're going to be availing of the train it'd be a 15-17 minute walk. Second-hand houses beside them would be on the cheaper side of what's available in Balbriggan

Hampton Gardens has a few houses available in 3 or 4 bed, cul-de-sac roads and nice finish in the houses, located 2 minutes from local Millfield shopping centre where a private bus operate runs a number of buses into Dublin City Center

Castleland Park is located to the south of Balbriggan, behind Wavin factory

Mature estates would be located within the Harry Reynolds Road, Chapel Gate/Grove/Drive, Clonard Court and then up by the estates of Craoibhin Park, Hampton Cove, Fancourt.

Schools are predominantly located beside new build estates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 jbryc04

Hi

I am currently looking at Taylor hill to purchase but people keep saying no to Balbriggan due to the violence and the amount of renters.
    I know Talor hill is the opposite end of the town to the majority of renters but can anyone please help with my decision - i would like to remain close to swords but cannot afford it but worried due to the volume of negativity I have heard of balbriggan

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Balbriggan is a fine town. There are some issues with anti-social behaviour, but you get that in most towns these days.

It has good transport links, shopping facilities, schools, a cinema, it is by the sea & if you don't cook - has a plethora of takeaways & some decent restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Originally from Kildare, lived in Dublin city for 9 years then bought in Balbriggan in 2011. I'm happy with where I am. Sure it's not the most desirable of places but it isn't any different than anywhere else. Homes are affordable, great transport links, excellent shopping between Swords and Drogheda so you don't always need to go into the city. People are friendlier but best of all you have excellent countryside right on your doorstep. In less than 5 minutes I can be in rural north county Dublin, Meath or Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LMCN123

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone here has actually bought in Taylor Hill? We bought in the first phase. Finding Knight Frank an absolute nightmare to deal with very little information most they will say is "I believe its similar". As for the actual house only information we have on the house is a picture of handwritten sq footage of each room.... no wall measurements etc so hard to plan any furniture etc. Our house type is not on show so I guess the first chance we will get this information is at snag.

Also wondering is anyone close to moving in? We have been given ready Aug for move in Sept but no dates etc. We are further in the estate and houses that were much further along do not seem to have progressed.

Cheers :)

LMCN123 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Wondering if anyone here has actually bought in Taylor Hill? We bought in the first phase. Finding Knight Frank an absolute nightmare to deal with very little information most they will say is "I believe its similar". As for the actual house only information we have on the house is a picture of handwritten sq footage of each room.... no wall measurements etc so hard to plan any furniture etc. Our house type is not on show so I guess the first chance we will get this information is at snag.

Also wondering is anyone close to moving in? We have been given ready Aug for move in Sept but no dates etc. We are further in the estate and houses that were much further along do not seem to have progressed.

Congrats on the purchase, haven't purchased myself but here's the plans for the house types.

There may be little variations in layout so don't take this as gospel but at least you can enquire if the layout has changed since their application.

Further info is available from. Fungal Coco website under planning application F15A/0437

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 LMCN123

Congrats on the purchase, haven't purchased myself but here's the plans for the house types.

There may be little variations in layout so don't take this as gospel but at least you can enquire if the layout has changed since their application.

Further info is available from. Fungal Coco website under planning application F15A/0437

Thanks Jeff. I had not thought of getting the plans.

These don't seem up to date as the location of stairs in 3 out of 4 of the houses is different to show houses and they do no have bay windows in any house.

Sorry that wasn't of any benefit, obviously they've made minor adjustments.

Best bet, for when you can get through to Knight Frank or the site foreman, is to get a copy of the floor plans and measurements they're working off.

By this stage they should have given you this to give you an indication, esp as you're close to snagging

• Registered Users Posts: 29 foodiewarrior

I'm looking to buy in Balbriggan. my budget is 195k. I viewed a few houses in Moylaragh estate. All have pyrite green cert. I really like the houses I saw.
    I'm very happy I can get a house with a back garden for the price of a one bedroom apartment in Dublin.

anything I need to be vigilant about?

I'm looking to buy in Balbriggan. my budget is 195k. I viewed a few houses in Moylaragh estate. All have pyrite green cert. I really like the houses I saw.
    I'm very happy I can get a house with a back garden for the price of a one bedroom apartment in Dublin.

anything I need to be vigilant about?

In what regard? Do you mean in relation to the houses, the estate, the town?

https://www.balbriggan.info/multi-million-euro-application-improvements-balbriggan/

Good to see the earlier announced plan is still proceeding where hopefully the public consultation will be towards the end of this year / earlier next year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Thread hijack...

What is McNeill Hall like? A friend is looking at an apartment there.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Thread hijack...

What is McNeill Hall like? A friend is looking at an apartment there.

It's beside the beach and train station. It's not bad and improving all the time since they ejected the old property manager.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

LMCN123 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Bad move in my opinion. Like moving to Detroit in the 60s or 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Bad move in my opinion. Like moving to Detroit in the 60s or 70s

How? Please explain this comparison. It makes no sense. For one thing there is not a motor car manufacturer in Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Don't feed the trolls please.

tHB

• Advertisement

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    How? Please explain this comparison. It makes no sense. For one thing there is not a motor car manufacturer in Balbriggan.

Once prosperous manufacturing town in decline!

Once prosperous manufacturing town in decline!

Stats show more people in employment with a steady decline, see attached. Can view stats from this link https://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/statire/SelectVarVal/saveselections.asp

More companies are investing in Balbriggan, with more in the pipeline - can check local news reports yourself.

Stats show more people in employment with a steady decline, see attached. Can view stats from this link https://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/statire/SelectVarVal/saveselections.asp

More companies are investing in Balbriggan, with more in the pipeline - can check local news reports yourself.

So still a high proportion of unemployed then, well over the average?

Take it you're referring to this announcement where it says 10% social (which any new development has to cater for under Part V of a planning application) and 30% affordable?

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/new-land-agency-targets-two-sites-37325315.html

No figures are final as it's currently in draft stage where over 300 submissions were made to the council.

Regarding "gangs of teenagers" this is something that was blown way out of proportion due to social media. Balbriggan, as per the most recent census, has the youngest population of any large town in Ireland. Yes there is young people who, like any town, get together as friends but the idea that there is troublesome gangs going around is ludicrous.

The is nice places to eat in Balbriggan, Thai restaurant, Brick Room, Harvey's, Liberos to name a few...if they don't take your fancy Skerries is a 5 minute journey where there's further restaurants, without paying Skerries house prices.

As from my earlier post regarding unemployment figures, the figures are steadily decreasing against the backdrop of increased population so it's a positive trend
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The gang problem is getting worse. The Guards spend a lot of time up around Dunnes stores breaking up fights and dispersing mobs of teenagers. When I say mob I’m talking about 40-60.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭easygoing39

This interview is one of the few in the national media that is reporting what is actually happening in Balbriggan.Been going on for years,never reported in the press,and anyone who has mentioned it here has been called racist!!

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/balbriggan-pushed-to-the-edge-claims-candidate-sharkey-35526609.html

This interview is one of the few in the national media that is reporting what is actually happening in Balbriggan.Been going on for years,never reported in the press,and anyone who has mentioned it here has been called racist!!

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/fingalindependent/news/balbriggan-pushed-to-the-edge-claims-candidate-sharkey-35526609.html

Who actually takes him seriously? I've lived in the town since 2011 and wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending it to someone. Sure it's not the most desirable place to live but that's reflected in its house prices.

It seems fashionable to knock it, often with very generic reasons that could apply to any town/suburb in Dublin but it also has a lot going for it.

Who actually takes him seriously? I've lived in the town since 2011 and wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending it to someone. Sure it's not the most desirable place to live but that's reflected in its house prices.

It seems fashionable to knock it, often with very generic reasons that could apply to any town/suburb in Dublin but it also has a lot going for it.

He is only saying what a lot of people in Balbriggan are thinking. Balbriggan has gone from being arguably Fingal’s County town to the social housing capital of Fingal. A dumping ground for social housing quotas from other towns and also anti social elements forced out of other parts of Dublin. You know things are bad when a soup kitchen is opening in a town during better economic times.

He is only saying what a lot of people in Balbriggan are thinking. Balbriggan has gone from being arguably Fingal’s County town to the social housing capital of Fingal. A dumping ground for social housing quotas from other towns and also anti social elements forced out of other parts of Dublin. You know things are bad when a soup kitchen is opening in a town during better economic times.

I'm not going to argue with you, perhaps your experience of the town is different to mine but I bought in Dun Saithne, an estate with a high mix of affordable and social housing. Private houses were also very cheap at the time I bought so it's attracted all sorts of people. There are lots of Irish folk but plenty of people who I'll presume were born in Africa originally, plenty of Eastern Europeans and I have to say, it's a lovely estate. It's quiet, the kids all play out on the roads/green when the weather is good and people talk to each other.
    My point being that I bought in a cheap estate that's attracted all sorts and apart from one or two awkward neighbours (which you can get anywhere), it's been a positive experience.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to argue with you, perhaps your experience of the town is different to mine but I bought in Dun Saithne, an estate with a high mix of affordable and social housing. Private houses were also very cheap at the time I bought so it's attracted all sorts of people. There are lots of Irish folk but plenty of people who I'll presume were born in Africa originally, plenty of Eastern Europeans and I have to say, it's a lovely estate. It's quiet, the kids all play out on the roads/green when the weather is good and people talk to each other.
    My point being that I bought in a cheap estate that's attracted all sorts and apart from one or two awkward neighbours (which you can get anywhere), it's been a positive experience.

That’s good to hear. I agree not all places are bad in the town.

Advertisement