Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben-Hur (2016)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It was a good remake though. :D

And it's part of a very small club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Flop opening weekend - quell surprise.

Channel 5 will have this on rotation in two years

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, looks like an absolute turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Choosing a generic eurovision song to back their trailer was a bad move.

The story of Judah Ben-Hur is great & should make for a great film..... But this looks like a f*ck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Would've preferred the Mr. Burns version.

• Advertisement

Flop opening weekend - quell surprise.

Surely, SOMEONE at the kickoff meeting expressed SOME concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

from what I've heard and looking at the production companies involved: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightworkers_Media

This is one of the christian faith movies masquerading as a blockbuster (see Risen earlier this year for another example)

Now I know its in the source material and all the previous adaptations but word on the grape vine is its much more forefront in this one (the 1959 one literally has 3 or so scenes about Jesus and its always a background element)

according to initial reviews and comments and from the above trailer this one shoves the jesus part of the story to the forefront to a *gods note dead* level of comfortableness.

Even the song in that awful trailer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_King_%26_Country_(band)

Yep Christian rock band.

Look everyone is welcome to their faith, but regardless of what it is faith movies suck.

From Christians to scientologists, there is no such thing as a good faith movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Look everyone is welcome to their faith, but regardless of what it is faith movies suck.

From Christians to scientologists, there is no such thing as a good faith movie.

I beg to differ

Whilst not everyone's cup of tea I personally think Contact is hugely underrated

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I beg to differ

Whilst not everyone's cup of tea I personally think Contact is hugely underrated

Faith movie?

I beg to differ

Not a faith movie.

Thats a movie about faith

Which is an artistic interpetation and exploration of one's faith on the blank canvas of film.

A faith movie is where the filmmakers get given a pre-approved paint by numbers canvas and a limited choice of colours

Its why a film like The last temptation of christ can be a good movie about jesus christ but The Passion of the Christ is a well made but obnoxious bit of scripture worship.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There are posters of it on bus stops here. They depict the chariot race and it looks like 2 lads having the craic while the tagline suggests a serious story. In short, looks like slop. I won't be seeing it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

@Blitzkrieg

What I'm gathering is that the film was so panned throughout the previews, there was some serious last minute changes and marketing changes to target this heavily towards Christian communities etc.

Like many predicted from the trailer, looks absolutely dire, the reviews are scathing, and I'll be giving this a miss 100%. This looks one of those that even if a copy appeared online I wouldn't deem it worthy of HDD space.

TheDoc wrote: »
    @Blitzkrieg

What I'm gathering is that the film was so panned throughout the previews, there was some serious last minute changes and marketing changes to target this heavily towards Christian communities etc.

It was made by the same production company and producers that made that Bible mini series. Its not a last minute change to up the christian aspect, it was baked into it from the get go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Very disappointed as I was looking forward to a good, solid swords and sandals genre epic.

I actually watched Risen a while back, and hadn't realized that it was a faith film - went into it knowing almost nothing, which is usually my preferred option but now and again you encounter a film where you wish you'd done a little elemental reading.

Having said that, Risen is quite good all the same, just very slow and....biblical.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

I often visited the site where that chariot race was filmed while in Lebanon, (Tyre) and I stood in the remnants of the chariots used. They were piled in a corner of Tyre Military Barracks to rust away. I was stationed at that Barracks for a while in 1978 and wiled away a some time of an evening gazing at these disused props and hoping I could fit one in my kit bag !

Very disappointed as I was looking forward to a good, solid swords and sandals genre epic.

I actually watched Risen a while back, and hadn't realized that it was a faith film - went into it knowing almost nothing, which is usually my preferred option but now and again you encounter a film where you wish you'd done a little elemental reading.

Having said that, Risen is quite good all the same, just very slow and....biblical.

Have to say, I thought 'Risen' was a pretty decent picture. It being a "faith" film didn't bother me at all. I think they did well capturing the period. Or at least trying to capture a feel of it.

This pretend Ben-Hur can go suck on an brick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was wondering why this was repeatedly showing on Facebook feed with clips of the movie. I continually kept ranting that it looks awful (I'm not a fan of the original either, since they tried showing it to us in school during religion class but only in 20 minute bursts and often the same part over and over again). Turns out my wife got into my FB and liked the "BEN-HUR official page".

Well played, well played.

I'm going to miss her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

How could they do this to a classic????????

Hope the character I named myself after is as dasterly as the original !!!! Did u know he was Irish......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I did not! Just checked IMDB and I didn't realise he died at quite a young age too.
    It has $100million budget, they must have known it would be a turkey from the start unless they're trying to make a modern day Ben-Hur in the Prince of Persia / Titans movies style.

Advertisement