Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-02-2016, 19:08   #1
PCeeeee

MP-153

Hi Lads,

I'm interested in a Baikal M-153. I'll probably go for a second hand one. Is there anything I should be looking out for?

Thanks...
Advertisement
12-02-2016, 20:12   #2
cookimonster

I have one and can't fault it as a reliable 'shot any cartridge' gun. The finish is a bit rough compared to other marquee brands and the bluing is a bit thin but I've had it in salt marsh with no ill effects.
I bought mmine from New and put a hundred 32g 5 through her and haven't had a hiccup since. She'll handle 28g loads all day and 36g without skipping a beat. No need for gas adjustments.
She'll let you know when to clean her when the first shell may not eject probably, then it's a strip down and lick of the oily rag and your set for hundreds more shots.
The only issue I had was fibre wads as I found them dirtier and require more frequent TLC.
The chokes here in Ireland are all rated for steel shot so the original set leaves you with CYL, IC & M. I bought after market flush mount tubes, my own preference and regularly shoot it with improved modified (3/4) for my rough shooting and Mod for decoys.

Last edited by cookimonster; 12-02-2016 at 21:58.
12-02-2016, 22:17   #3
PCeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookimonster View Post
I have one and can't fault it as a reliable 'shot any cartridge' gun. The finish is a bit rough compared to other marquee brands and the bluing is a bit thin but I've had it in salt marsh with no ill effects.
I bought mmine from New and put a hundred 32g 5 through her and haven't had a hiccup since. She'll handle 28g loads all day and 36g without skipping a beat. No need for gas adjustments.
She'll let you know when to clean her when the first shell may not eject probably, then it's a strip down and lick of the oily rag and your set for hundreds more shots.
The only issue I had was fibre wads as I found them dirtier and require more frequent TLC.
The chokes here in Ireland are all rated for steel shot so the original set leaves you with CYL, IC & M. I bought after market flush mount tubes, my own preference and regularly shoot it with improved modified (3/4) for my rough shooting and Mod for decoys.
Thanks Cookimonster, that pretty much tallies with what I've read. Nice to hear from someone firsthand.
12-02-2016, 22:50   #4
Davidcardiff

Hi I've got the mp155 which is the newer model and I have to say I totally agree with what cookimonster said absolutely great shotgun. Horses out any weight cartridge 24-36gr have been through it. Well built Gun barrel is chromed same as beretta
will take a slab or two before needing tlc depending on cartridge type
I found FOBs filthy
13-02-2016, 00:13   #5
cookimonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidcardiff View Post
......I found FOBs filthy......
That's the ones, rotton dirty f*ckers, I think I swapped mine out as quickly as possible, never bought them again.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-02-2016, 12:20   #6
Davidcardiff

Got two boxes free when I bought the gun shot. One box and gave the other away
Put a lot of eley superbs 28gr and fiochi f black 28gr through it never a problem
Shot a lot of gamebore clear pigeon aswell

Last edited by Davidcardiff; 13-02-2016 at 12:26.
13-02-2016, 16:36   #7
PCeeeee

Took the plunge today anyhow. Try and get the license swapped quick now and I'll see what impact I can make on the vermin!

I'll let ye know how I get on. Thanks lads.
Thanks from:
13-02-2016, 16:36   #8
PCeeeee

Took the plunge today anyhow. Try and get the license swapped quick now and I'll see what impact I can make on the vermin!

I'll let ye know how I get on. Thanks lads.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion