Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-01-2016, 16:59   #1
Irish Steve

Status Yellow rainfall Wed 6 Jan/Thurs 7 Jan (to 0900)

Met Eireann have issues the following YELLOW alert for rainfall

A band of rain will cross the country during Wednesday afternoon and evening. Rainfall totals of 15 – 25mm are expected.
Issued:
Tuesday 05 January 2016 15:00
Valid:
Wednesday 06 January 2016 12:00 to Wednesday 06 January 2016 23:00

Now updated to later time

Rainfall Warning for Ireland

A band of rain will move slowly northeastwards over Ireland through this afternoon, evening and tonight. Rainfall amounts of 15 to 25 mm expected.
Issued:
Wednesday 06 January 2016 10:00
Valid:
Wednesday 06 January 2016 12:00 to Thursday 07 January 2016 09:00

Last edited by Irish Steve; 06-01-2016 at 10:38. Reason: alert updated
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-01-2016, 18:36   #2

For counties Cavan, Monaghan, Meath and Louth.
Boyne has only 2 to 3 feet to go before it hits the Dublin bypass road. Interesting times ahead.
05-01-2016, 20:01   #3
Irish Steve

We have a small but treacherous stream (it's too small to call a river) that runs through our garden, it went from 10 cm to 60 cm overnight, and has only dropped slowly by about 10 cm during the later part of the afternoon.

110 Cm is critical level for us, after that, albeit the other side of a protection wall, it's above our floor level. November 2014, it was 85 Cm above our floor level, and due to the failure of a large pump at just the wrong time, we had about 8 cm in the house for a while.

So, we're now joining thousands of people around the country in simply watching and waiting, we've as much protection as is practical in place (and a LOT more than most) and it's ready to go at a moments notice, it's now going to be down to things like hoping no one has dumped their Christmas tree over the wall rather than take it to a recycling point, as something that simple may mean the difference between a clear grid and a blocked grid at the entrance to the piped section.

The sickening aspect of this is that the main reason for the problems is the negligence and lack of appropriate response from Meath County Council over a long period of time.

It's going to be a stressful 24 hours!
05-01-2016, 20:05   #4
Rock Lesnar

We'll be flooded tomorrow, no doubt about it, it wont come into the house but it goes around it, gives the nosey neighbours plenty to talk about though, the pond near the house is drained by a pipe way way to small and it backs up and water comes back into us, the council know about it but will do nothing
05-01-2016, 23:07   #5
Coles

I don't believe there will be a major problem, but the ESB are playing a very dangerous game with the Poulaphuca Reservoir.

I would estimate the water level to be about 1-1.2m from the crest of the dam. If the water level reached the crest it would mean that there would be no effective control of any further flood waters.

The ESB have announced that they are increasing the flow to 45 m3/s, which when added to the 4 m3/s abstraction for the drinking water, (and without any rainfall) will lower the lake by about 210mm per day.

The trouble is that there will be more rainfall. Another 30mm of rain forecast over 24 hours will rise the level by about 250mm over that period. And it's not inconceivable that 50mm could fall across the catchment (on average given the elevation), which would raise the level by 560mm. These are my own calculations, not the ESB's, but I believe them to be accurate.

I don't see how this has been allowed to happen when the level exceeds the normal maximum water level. It leaves the middle catchment very vulnerable to any further intense rainfall events.

This cold spell really can't come fast enough.

Last edited by Coles; 05-01-2016 at 23:10.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-01-2016, 10:23   #6
thecivvie

Send a message via ICQ to thecivvie Send a message via AIM to thecivvie Send a message via MSN to thecivvie Send a message via Yahoo to thecivvie Send a message via Skype™ to thecivvie
The alert has been pulled from the Met Eireann website. Maybe they think the rain will goto Spain
06-01-2016, 10:26   #7
eastmayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecivvie View Post
The alert has been pulled from the Met Eireann website. Maybe they think the rain will goto Spain
Maybe doing an update at the moment.
06-01-2016, 10:33   #8
thecivvie

Send a message via ICQ to thecivvie Send a message via AIM to thecivvie Send a message via MSN to thecivvie Send a message via Yahoo to thecivvie Send a message via Skype™ to thecivvie
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmayo View Post
Maybe doing an update at the moment.
I would imagine that if they were updating it, they would not remove it until they updated the file. And no alert on Meteoalarm
06-01-2016, 10:35   #9
Storm 10

Looking at the radar it certainly will not be a problem at the original 12pm start of the Yellow alert, perhaps they are going for a later time as the front may have slowed.
Advertisement
06-01-2016, 10:36   #10
thecivvie

Back online now. Extended to 9am Thursday
06-01-2016, 10:40   #11
Irish Steve

Rats, that's probably going to mean very little sleep tonight, depending on when the heavier rain arrives in this part of the world.
06-01-2016, 10:46   #12
Call me Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmarn View Post
Met Eireann has issued a weather advisory for rainfall tomorrow. They are forecasting 15 to 25mm of rain. The forecasted amount is generally under the threshold for a full yellow warning. It is because of the situation the flooding problems around the country and the addition to it caused by the forecast rain.
There has been well in excess of 25mm in this area of Meath between Monday and Tuesday. Looking at Phoneix Park and Dublin airport stats (probably my closest stations) for yesterday alone were over 23mm.
06-01-2016, 10:54   #13
eastmayo

Quote:
I would imagine that if they were updating it, they would not remove it until they updated the file. And no alert on Meteoalarm
They always take down alert to update it.dont no why.
06-01-2016, 13:53   #14
whippet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Steve View Post
We have a small but treacherous stream (it's too small to call a river) that runs through our garden, it went from 10 cm to 60 cm overnight, and has only dropped slowly by about 10 cm during the later part of the afternoon.
what part of ashbourne is that Irish Steve? I know that flooding in ashbourne is only a relatively new occurrence; i'm from ashbourne originally and never in my 20 odd years did i ever encounter any significant flooding until I heard about the flooding in the last couple of years.
06-01-2016, 13:56   #15
JCX BXC

Quote:
You'd think they would do that wouldn't you?
But no, even to update it they often remove the original warning, and then code up a new one

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion