Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Status Yellow rainfall Wed 6 Jan/Thurs 7 Jan (to 0900)

• 05-01-2016 4:59pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Met Eireann have issues the following YELLOW alert for rainfall

A band of rain will cross the country during Wednesday afternoon and evening. Rainfall totals of 15 – 25mm are expected.
    Issued:
    Tuesday 05 January 2016 15:00
    Valid:
    Wednesday 06 January 2016 12:00 to Wednesday 06 January 2016 23:00

Now updated to later time

Rainfall Warning for Ireland

A band of rain will move slowly northeastwards over Ireland through this afternoon, evening and tonight. Rainfall amounts of 15 to 25 mm expected.
    Issued:
    Wednesday 06 January 2016 10:00
    Valid:
    Wednesday 06 January 2016 12:00 to Thursday 07 January 2016 09:00

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

For counties Cavan, Monaghan, Meath and Louth.
    Boyne has only 2 to 3 feet to go before it hits the Dublin bypass road. Interesting times ahead.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

We have a small but treacherous stream (it's too small to call a river) that runs through our garden, it went from 10 cm to 60 cm overnight, and has only dropped slowly by about 10 cm during the later part of the afternoon.

110 Cm is critical level for us, after that, albeit the other side of a protection wall, it's above our floor level. November 2014, it was 85 Cm above our floor level, and due to the failure of a large pump at just the wrong time, we had about 8 cm in the house for a while.

So, we're now joining thousands of people around the country in simply watching and waiting, we've as much protection as is practical in place (and a LOT more than most) and it's ready to go at a moments notice, it's now going to be down to things like hoping no one has dumped their Christmas tree over the wall rather than take it to a recycling point, as something that simple may mean the difference between a clear grid and a blocked grid at the entrance to the piped section.

The sickening aspect of this is that the main reason for the problems is the negligence and lack of appropriate response from Meath County Council over a long period of time.

It's going to be a stressful 24 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

We'll be flooded tomorrow, no doubt about it, it wont come into the house but it goes around it, gives the nosey neighbours plenty to talk about though, the pond near the house is drained by a pipe way way to small and it backs up and water comes back into us, the council know about it but will do nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

I don't believe there will be a major problem, but the ESB are playing a very dangerous game with the Poulaphuca Reservoir.

I would estimate the water level to be about 1-1.2m from the crest of the dam. If the water level reached the crest it would mean that there would be no effective control of any further flood waters.

The ESB have announced that they are increasing the flow to 45 m3/s, which when added to the 4 m3/s abstraction for the drinking water, (and without any rainfall) will lower the lake by about 210mm per day.

The trouble is that there will be more rainfall. Another 30mm of rain forecast over 24 hours will rise the level by about 250mm over that period. And it's not inconceivable that 50mm could fall across the catchment (on average given the elevation), which would raise the level by 560mm. These are my own calculations, not the ESB's, but I believe them to be accurate.

I don't see how this has been allowed to happen when the level exceeds the normal maximum water level. It leaves the middle catchment very vulnerable to any further intense rainfall events.

This cold spell really can't come fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

The alert has been pulled from the Met Eireann website. Maybe they think the rain will goto Spain :)

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

thecivvie wrote: »
    The alert has been pulled from the Met Eireann website. Maybe they think the rain will goto Spain :)

Maybe doing an update at the moment.

eastmayo wrote: »
    Maybe doing an update at the moment.

I would imagine that if they were updating it, they would not remove it until they updated the file. And no alert on Meteoalarm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looking at the radar it certainly will not be a problem at the original 12pm start of the Yellow alert, perhaps they are going for a later time as the front may have slowed.

Back online now. Extended to 9am Thursday

Rats, that's probably going to mean very little sleep tonight, depending on when the heavier rain arrives in this part of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Met Eireann has issued a weather advisory for rainfall tomorrow. They are forecasting 15 to 25mm of rain. The forecasted amount is generally under the threshold for a full yellow warning. It is because of the situation the flooding problems around the country and the addition to it caused by the forecast rain.

There has been well in excess of 25mm in this area of Meath between Monday and Tuesday. Looking at Phoneix Park and Dublin airport stats (probably my closest stations) for yesterday alone were over 23mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

I would imagine that if they were updating it, they would not remove it until they updated the file. And no alert on Meteoalarm

They always take down alert to update it.dont no why.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭whippet

We have a small but treacherous stream (it's too small to call a river) that runs through our garden, it went from 10 cm to 60 cm overnight, and has only dropped slowly by about 10 cm during the later part of the afternoon.

what part of ashbourne is that Irish Steve? I know that flooding in ashbourne is only a relatively new occurrence; i'm from ashbourne originally and never in my 20 odd years did i ever encounter any significant flooding until I heard about the flooding in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You'd think they would do that wouldn't you?
    But no, even to update it they often remove the original warning, and then code up a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Heavy solid rain music last two hours here. Lying water in fields again but cattle are grazing contentedly. Wind slack still. South Kerry mountains 400 asl.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Radar shows front slower and later than modeled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Villain wrote: »
    Dunno what previous model runs were like but this seems pretty spot on.
    373893.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Same model yesterday had it reaching Carlow around now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Villain wrote: »

Will slower mean it dumps more rain over a smaller area?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

It's raining here in West Clare.
    It's also gone very dark.

• Advertisement

whippet wrote: »
    what part of ashbourne is that Irish Steve? I know that flooding in ashbourne is only a relatively new occurrence; i'm from ashbourne originally and never in my 20 odd years did i ever encounter any significant flooding until I heard about the flooding in the last couple of years.

It's the area behind Supervalue, Huntsgrove, Brookville, and onward towards the golf club. There were problems here (Huntsgrove) in 2000, 2002 (€120K damage) and then in 2014, the most recent very much due to a lack of maintenance,and an Irish Water related issues, a lot more houses were flooded in Rath Lodge, Huntsgrove, Ashewood and Murtagh's yard, and even more (about 50) were "technically flooded", which means the water level was within 75mm of entering the houses.

In theory, it should get sorted soon, there's a consultant's report and plan to be presented to the councillors next week, then it goes to public review, and in theory, they then start work fixing the problems, some funding is apparently already in place.

As for tonight, talk about the calm before the storm, it's almost flat calm here, next to no wind, or cloud cover until recently. As for what's to come overnight, who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,124 ✭✭✭✭km79

Tactical wrote: »
    Will slower mean it dumps more rain over a smaller area?

Also wondering this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

km79 wrote: »
    Also wondering this ?

In my mind, as its moving slower then ot would mean a greater amount for the areas it passes over.

I'm sure it not that simple and factors like the terrain in Kerry may play a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In my mind, as its moving slower then ot would mean a greater amount for the areas it passes over.

I'm sure it not that simple and factors like the terrain in Kerry may play a part.

Yeah, these great lumps of rock reaching into the sky and splitting the clouds open! Wild, dark and wet up here now and closing down... time for candlelight and a good thriller...and a glass of irish cream home made liqueur..Love the excuse for a quiet evening snug from the weather.... Hope everyone stays safe from floods...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,124 ✭✭✭✭km79

Heavier stuff moving throw east Galway now after just 2mm in first 2 hours
    Don't think it will amount to much more than 10 in total

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

km79 wrote: »
    Heavier stuff moving throw east Galway now after just 2mm in first 2 hours
    Don't think it will amount to much more than 10 in total

Yeah, it was strange rain. Large drops but not very intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Absolutely Hammering down in the north east at the minute, can hear it hitting the roof and the tele is on, another hour of this and the house will be surrounded for the 8th time this winter, the cold spell cant come quick enough

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

6.6mm here near Tralee so far but stopped now for some time ( just 0.2mm since 18.00 )

2cnkHEs.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Moderate-heavy rain here accompanied by a south east gale. Winds might also be strong around 4am when they swing around to a NW direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Some shleet according to yer one on the weather here

Advertisement