Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bullet proof reliability

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Saw a Levorg today. Wouldn't touch one...they look worse in the metal and a 1.6 CVT...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭walus

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Saw a Levorg today. Wouldn't touch one...they look worse in the metal and a 1.6 CVT...

On the youtube they look great though. 170 bhp is very conservative though I was hoping it would be around 200. I'll wait another year or two to see what Honda will come up with.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

walus wrote: »
    On the youtube they look great though. 170 bhp is very conservative though I was hoping it would be around 200. I'll wait another year or two to see what Honda will come up with.

Subaru prices are off the charts,compared to rivals

Not sure what price Levorg is here but 27k stg is a bit rich

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Subaru prices are off the charts,compared to rivals

Not sure what price Levorg is here but 27k stg is a bit rich

I recon it will be around 38-40k mark as it seems well equipped. I find Subarus seriously overpriced in this country. I'd love to know their sales numbers for the past 10 years as I do not see a lot of new Subarus these days which would indicate their market share is going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Walus..sent you two P.Ms just wondering did you get them..

Got them both. Thanks selous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Does anyone know if the Impreza diesel from the same era suffered similar engine problems?

I currently have a petrol legacy and always considered getting a 09/10 Legacy diesel when the time came to change, however this thread has totally wiped that idea from my mind. There are several for sale at present at what could be considered small money and I'm guessing the owners are looking to get rid of their cars before the engine suffers total failure.

So I'm now left with the problem of what do i replace my current legacy with? The Impreza or Forester are both options but not if they have the same engine as the Legacy and therefore liable to the same failures...

Subaru have had only one boxer diesel for all their models (it is still the case I'd say). All models were suffering from the same engine issues as described in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Does anyone know if the Impreza diesel from the same era suffered similar engine problems?

I currently have a petrol legacy and always considered getting a 09/10 Legacy diesel when the time came to change, however this thread has totally wiped that idea from my mind. There are several for sale at present at what could be considered small money and I'm guessing the owners are looking to get rid of their cars before the engine suffers total failure.

So I'm now left with the problem of what do i replace my current legacy with? The Impreza or Forester are both options but not if they have the same engine as the Legacy and therefore liable to the same failures...

If you were in california (strictest air quality regs in the states I believe) you could have your choice of subarus with petrol PZEV engines - partial zero emissions. But no diesel option. This is because they care more about air quality than how much fizzy drink gas you create.

Unfortunately the greens here are all in favour particulates and nox and lax lax emissions checking of the dirtiest vehicles. Which does make you wonder about their policies and common sense in general doesn't it. When will the CO2 tax on soft drinks and beer come into effect I wonder?

But yeah... wouldn't be rushing to buy one of these boxer diesels myself, especially with the way people are being treated.

I love my car, still have it, If your looking at the legacy, find one that has had the engine fixed, so the money has been spent on it, if it was fixed by a main dealer, it should have the new euro5 short motor stronger crankshaft etc, and if it's sold on by a garage you should get a warranty of some sort.
    I was pi**ed as hell when mine went and finding it was kinda common was worse, but it's back on the road, still like it, and the glitch is being sorted it's trial n error, and patience from both parties. But i'd still recommend it, it has everything ya want in a car. (I don't like shape of the later model though)

• Advertisement

selous wrote: »
    I love my car, still have it, If your looking at the legacy, find one that has had the engine fixed, so the money has been spent on it, if it was fixed by a main dealer, it should have the new euro5 short motor stronger crankshaft etc, and if it's sold on by a garage you should get a warranty of some sort.
    I was pi**ed as hell when mine went and finding it was kinda common was worse, but it's back on the road, still like it, and the glitch is being sorted it's trial n error, and patience from both parties. But i'd still recommend it, it has everything ya want in a car. (I don't like shape of the later model though)

Yes the new model saloon is a seriously ugly car however the estate version is very nice (in the higher spec cars) I'm considering going to the UK for a newer model as the irish cars are all poverty spec and generally much higher mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Any update Selous?

Still has the glitch, not easy to replicate as it only happens after an hour (or more) non stop driving, when you re-start it wont catch, but when it does catch it has to be driven again for a while for it to happen again, so not the easiest problem for the garage to find, but it's F-n irritating for me, as its every time, unless I park up till it's cold again,

Still has the glitch, not easy to replicate as it only happens after an hour (or more) non stop driving, when you re-start it wont catch, but when it does catch it has to be driven again for a while for it to happen again, so not the easiest problem for the garage to find, but it's F-n irritating for me, as its every time, unless I park up till it's cold again,

Had this on mine....so not just isolated to you

I read (again) through the thread but can't see what glitch your referring to. Is there a problem with the new engine too?

I got the engine rebuilt, (cause I love the car) and there's this glitch,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057561330

All diagnostic tests have been done, both when hot and cold, but nothing is showing.
    new crankshaft sensor has been put in didn't solve it. going back in soon for more tests, but as I said, it isn't the easiest thing to find, as it only happens after a long drive when really hot, so fingers crossed, as I paid a s**t load for the rebuild, not to have a niggly little fault that if I was to sell it on this would put anyone off, I know it would me if I found it on a car I was looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Christ-on-a-bike!

I bought a 08 Legacy new in July 2008, DMF went in 2012. Was gonna cost over €2k to fix and I didn't trust the repair - or garage. I cut my losses and sold it (after getting another trader interested and bumping the offer up). I also tried to recoup some of it on a straight deal on next car (NOT a Subaru!). It was the best car I've ever had for Irish roads - lovely to drive but utter nightmare to own!

I got the engine rebuilt, (cause I love the car) and there's this glitch,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057561330

All diagnostic tests have been done, both when hot and cold, but nothing is showing.
    new crankshaft sensor has been put in didn't solve it. going back in soon for more tests, but as I said, it isn't the easiest thing to find, as it only happens after a long drive when really hot, so fingers crossed, as I paid a s**t load for the rebuild, not to have a niggly little fault that if I was to sell it on this would put anyone off, I know it would me if I found it on a car I was looking at.

Selous I dropped a post on the Polish Subaru Forum abut this. I'll let you know if the lads there come up with some suggestions.

Thanks for that, hopefully someone has solved it, Lex Luthor had it too, so it isn't a one off thing.

• Advertisement

pburns wrote: »
    It was the best car I've ever had for Irish roads - lovely to drive but utter nightmare to own!
    totally agree...huge pity

the amount of people that complimented it was a lot....I had the estate which was even better

Driving a Honda CRV now...its got AWD but isn't nowhere near as good to drive as the Legacy on the twisty roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Advertisement