Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China visa

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Goggle is your friend :D

For Irish passport holders who apply for any type of Chinese visa, the following is required: one completed visa application form (available on our website), one recent photograph for passport, passport valid up to at least six-months with blank pages.

You can either pay in cash or by cheque. If the latter, please make it payable to the Chinese Embassy.

For Irish citizen: 30.00 Euros for single entry,

http://ie.china-embassy.org/eng/Consular/

http://ie.china-embassy.org/eng/EmbassyInfo/EmbassyInfoBigNews/t112836.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭khmk

We are travelling to China in October and need to sort out visas. As we live in Limerick and work monday to friday, its nearly impossible for us to go ourselves to organise the visas at the embassy.

Does anyone know of any reliable travel agents or couriers around the Limerick area that we could use? I don't mind paying a little extra, I need the visas and I can't go get them myself.

Thanks in advance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What do you think other people do when they need a visa?

Take time off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭khmk

Cheers thanks for that genius.

I can't take time off work otherwise I would. Thats why I'm asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 irishworkerph

I am completely stupid when it comes to stuff like filling in forms. I am currently filling in the visa application form for China. It states that the form should be typed, does that actually mean you have to type in the details, or is that just the term used
    http://ie.china-embassy.org/eng/Consular/AboutVisa/t112835.htm

help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Dante10

Just use block capital letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 marty30

Hi,

I'm visiting China in August and am flying into Beijing for a few days and then getting a flight to Hong Kong, however I was hoping to get a flight with a 8 hour stopover in Shanghai. My query is do I need to get a single or multiple entry visa?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 brnlghln

If you're visiting mainland China (Beijing etc), leaving AND then coming back then YES, you'll need a double entry or better.
    i.e. Beijing for a few days (mainland) and then on to HK (not mainland) and then back to Beijing.
    Shanghai doesn't count as having left the mainland.

HK is worth a visit IMHO.

If you're stuck, HK Chinese visa office can issue a visa in a matter of minutes to get you back to the mainland, but best get a double entry before you go as it's expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 marty30

Cheers for the information, from Hong Kong I'm heading onto Thailand so a single entry should do the job, thanks

Am really looking forward to HK,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mintaholic

In August the temperature in HK can be up to 38°C...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

How fast can one of these be obtained? I'm leaving for Japan on Sunday and Korea afterwards but I was wondering if I could get my Chinese Visa by next week so I wouldn't have to worry about trying to organise it in a country where I don't have the language. I looked at the Chinese embassy website and the enquiry line is 3pm-4pm tues-thurs, so I was hoping I could hear from someone here first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Give Sino-Irish travel in Donnybrook a ring. They will know.
    http://www.sinoirishtravel.ie/contactus.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lazarus Malrax

How fast can one of these be obtained? I'm leaving for Japan on Sunday and Korea afterwards but I was wondering if I could get my Chinese Visa by next week so I wouldn't have to worry about trying to organise it in a country where I don't have the language. I looked at the Chinese embassy website and the enquiry line is 3pm-4pm tues-thurs, so I was hoping I could hear from someone here first.

Hi/ I think you will be cutting it fine hoping to have it for next week. I was waiting two weeks for mine and my wife waited nearly three weeks. She went through Trailfinders for hers and I went through Club Travel. Good luck with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 gst

If you apply directly to the embassy you can pay for an express service that should take 2--3 days. So if you do that you might just make it. Source: http://ie.china-embassy.org/eng/Consular/AboutVisa/

They will be hanging on to your passport, though, so there is a risk. I'd check with them that you can get your passport back on Thursday if they don't have the visa issued. Note that application office is only open until noon each day. So if you wait until 3pm tomorrow to make your enquiry you will have missed the chance to get the paperwork in that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

I was in Beijing last year and you could buy you visa before you go through immigration. I think the cost was a bit more 60€ but it can be done.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I was in Beijing last year and you could buy you visa before you go through immigration. I think the cost was a bit more 60€ but it can be done.
    Hope this helps

Where did you fly in from? Did you arrive in China and then were given the option to purchase a holiday visa? 60e doesn't really phase me as a rtn train to Dublin costs more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 e04bf0c3

Hi all,

Has anyone applied for a chinese tourist visa lately? I'm hoping to go apply for mine this week but as you seem to have to go into the embassy, and it's difficult to get time off to do that, I want to make sure there's nothing obvious that I'm missing before I go!

Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Does anyone have experience of applying directly to the Chinese Embassy for a holiday visa. Any idea if there are long queues

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

jos28 wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience of applying directly to the Chinese Embassy for a holiday visa. Any idea if there are long queues

I did several years ago, no problem. I know it's a stereotype but Chinese government departments are very efficient. If they say 72 hours then it will be done in 72 hours (or however log they take now).

Don't say you will visit Tibet, the northwest or Taiwan (afterwards)!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I got one most recently in June.

Firstly, you go to the consulate, not the embassy. I went pretty much as soon as they opened (9 am) and was in and out in 10 minutes. When I was leaving there was a queue building. They're open 9-12 Mon-Thurs and it takes 4 working days.

Collection was from a separate window and was painless.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million folks. Travel agent was looking for €90 each to do the honours. I think I will go myself now and only pay €40

Update :
    Filled in the forms, went to the consulate this morning. Someone checks over the forms before you join the queue which is a great idea. The entire process took about 15 minutes and they will be ready for collection on Thursday. Happy days !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I need to do this in the next few months. Planning on going to Beijing to visit someone for a week in May and see some tourist sites.

Presume it's just a case of filling out the form, bringing it down to the embassy and picking it up a few days later? As a tourist, I don't think I need a letter?

I imagine they will not post the passport back to you, you have to go down to drop off and collect?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Pythia wrote: »
    I need to do this in the next few months. Planning on going to Beijing to visit someone for a week in May and see some tourist sites.

Presume it's just a case of filling out the form, bringing it down to the embassy and picking it up a few days later? As a tourist, I don't think I need a letter?

I imagine they will not post the passport back to you, you have to go down to drop off and collect?

Post isn't an option. You must submit and collect from the consulate. It's ok to get someone else to collect it though. In fact, you could get someone else to drop it in but it's better to do that yourself in case there are any issues.

• Site Banned Posts: 19 All ceminists are funts

Thanks a million folks. Travel agent was looking for €90 each to do the honours. I think I will go myself now and only pay €40

Could you please tell which travel agent quoted you 90?

I need to sort out a visa soon and, as I live far away from Dub, it would be worth paying the fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

w.ppcie.lnk.visafirst.ie/en/chinese_business_and_holiday_visas_info_ppc.asp?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=chinese visas&utm_content=24066377787&utm_campaign=Ireland_Chinese_Visa_(Search)
    I used a company, I think it was this one a few years back, I'm in Cork so going to Dublin was'nt really an option. Google Chinese Visas for other options if you don't want to use the one I'v given you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Yes, getting the visa was fine. It all went off within the stated timeframe. No worries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Have just been to the embassy. Got there at about 9.20, about 6 or 7 people in the queue in front of me. Was out by about 10.05. There was a guy there that looked over your application while you queued.

Once I got to the counter, it was very quick. It will be ready in 4 working days.

Had to fill out a form I downloaded online, print out my flight and hotel details and bring my passport with me. Very easy in the end.

Only annoying thing is having to get a postal order for payment upon collection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I was in yesterday. Seemed to be unlucky, was there for about an hour. Seemed like everyone in front of me had stuff done wrong. They were all up at the window for 5 minutes or so and then sent on their way still with the forms in their hands. I was only up at the window for 2 minutes max. By the time I left there were at least 25 people in the queue. Overall I thought it was well organised, it was just slow as people made mistakes and started arguing. Someone turned up without a passport and was adamant he could still get a visa.

Advertisement