Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 SanDiego (merged)

Options
  • 11-11-2015 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hello,

So a few of us (girls) are thinking of going to Pacific Beach, San Diego this summer as we've heard great things about the spot (a lot of jobs, cheapest spot in CA, great craic, BEACH!). Has anyone been there on a J1? Would love some tips regarding accommodation, transport, the J1 scene, jobs, things to do etc. Really interested to hear what jobs you had whilst on your J1 in Pacific Beach.

Would also like to hear of other San Diego locations J1'ers stayed in that would be beachy. Open to other suggestions of Californian J1 locations too. Had looked into Huntington Beach and Santa Monica but both are apparently expensive, hard to get a job and boring. But we'll definitely visit whilst travelling at the end of our stay.

Also what company did you travel with (USIT, SayIt, Goforless) and were they good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

Hi, I'm in the same boat going over with a group of friends preferably to ocean beach, however we are also open to suggestion. Any information on accommodation and jobs would be really appreciated. I have heard SeaWorld hire lots of people has anyone worked with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Did you see on today's news that they are saying you must have a job in advance for next years J1. Look it up

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Shinnaynay

Yup, currently job searching!! Ya I've heard about SeaWorld but I don't feel too comfortable about applying to work there after all the animal cruelty etc. I'll have to look up Ocean Beach :) Have you heard good things about there?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

I doubt we will end up going to ocean beach realistically meant to be nice and chill there though, but mission beach seems to be the spot. Accommodation is very expensive though have you seen anything going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Blue_Seas

I'm thinking of doing the J1 too - either to New York or San Diego. I'd feel better about it if I could sort out accommodation that won't be too expensive!
    I think I'll be heading on my own, too. Girl, 21.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 niamhsheen1

Me and one other girl are going to San Diego too, the accommodation seems very expensive though! Have ye found anywhere that is any way reasonable? Don't want to be spending all our money on rent..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cant Trust The System

Hi,
    Myself and a friend are thinking of going to San Diego this summer too. I'm just wondering what people's plans are for getting accommodation? Are ye hoping to find people to live with after landing or are ye arranging a group beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Another for San Diego! Whereabouts are the most popular spots?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eugee

Myself and a friend both 21 year old lads, are currently looking for accommodation and jobs which will be available in the summer at San Diego, it seems like Seaworld take on a lot of Irish and also the San Diego Zoo, hope to finish the holiday with a lot of touring about. Im trying to get a fair idea to which accommodation prices will be on Craigslist and hostel pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shanya

We went to San Diego and it was amazing. In saying that Jobs and accommodation is hard to come by. We went out early and still found it difficult. We ended up staying in the promenade but a lot of apartments for evicted so I doubt they will take on people this year. Make sure to book at least a week in a hostel while looking for accom. Apartments are expensive but we shared with 10 people. Nightlife is good but only if your 21. Impossible to get in otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

Hi guys,
    I'm looking to go to San Diego this year but finding a job before I go is proving to be tough! Haven't focused on accommodation at all really. Looking for people who want to share accommodation and destroy their livers with the aid of four loco! 22, male.

Yeah finding a job is difficult! SAYIT have a warning on their website now saying that they have limited job opportunities! Have to try and find a job independently now...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 C.Behan

Myself and 2 mates heading over to SD end of may/start of june. Looking to share with people if anyone's interested (once we find jobs and accom first obv).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Travelguy94

Hey im considering doing a J1 and San Diego is the main place i was thinking of going, Its either that or do camp USA this year and j1 next year. Problem is I would be by myself as no one i know is ready to go this year :( If i go would any of you guys mind if i tag along ? The idea of searching for accommodation on my own is a bit daunting. Im 21 btw, will be 22 come the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Has anybody got anything sorted out yet? Myself and 4 other girls are thinking of heading over but we haven't even put down a deposit with USIT yet or anything The only reason we're thinking of going with USIT is because they have a job fair up in Dublin next month...

rorrissey wrote: »
    Has anybody got anything sorted out yet? Myself and 4 other girls are thinking of heading over but we haven't even put down a deposit with USIT yet or anything The only reason we're thinking of going with USIT is because they have a job fair up in Dublin next month...

We're dealing with SAYIT, they are saying its very hard to get work in San Diego or in California in general..

We're dealing with SAYIT, they are saying its very hard to get work in San Diego or in California in general..

So I've heard, but I went to a USIT talk at UCC the other day and they're having a job fair in two weeks, they said that if I go there I have a good chance of getting a job in Cali with my group.. I wonder if they're bull****ting us? :confused:

rorrissey wrote: »
    So I've heard, but I went to a USIT talk at UCC the other day and they're having a job fair in two weeks, they said that if I go there I have a good chance of getting a job in Cali with my group.. I wonder if they're bull****ting us? :confused:

Maybe USIT have better contacts with employers or something? :)

Yo, forgot my boards account password so hence my lack of input! Woo so excited for San Diego 2016, has anyone got a job? And has it been approved by your sponsors? We will definitely be looking for people to share a house with. I assume that we will just stay in a hostel for the first week as we house search. Hopefully that way we will find other j1ers in our hostel on the search and can help each other out cutting down the rent.

Okay well looks like USIT haven't got any jobs lined up for San Diego... Any one had any luck getting a job?I know a girl who sent 300 emails, got only 7 replies but managed to get a job in San Fran...

• Advertisement

There was a crowd from San Diego who cancelled for the jobs fair last week....We're going to San Fran now too.

We are off to Ocean City now, we had secured a job in San Diego. But your man didn't have enough information at this early stage to fill in our job application form. And Sayit want jobs secured by end of February. So not worth the stress, we are going to be travelling all over California in August anyway so it really doesn't matter. I've only heard great things about OC, and your always 5 minutes away from the beach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 niamhsheen1

Me and my friend both got jobs with usit.. Once you have a bit of experience and can work the dates they want (which is a pain ) youl get a job if you get an interview 😊 looking to share too if anybodies interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dub_gav

Myself and a mate are heading over to San Diego at the start of June on a j1 (1 lad 21 and a girl turning 21 in June) we're applying for jobs at the moment and going through USIT and will be looking to share accommodation with some others once over there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sb0373

A little off topic but hopefully someone can help!

trying to decide where to go for my J1
    San Diego or Montauk???

all advice and comparisons welcome, job, cost of living, night life etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dub_gav

Hi, myself and a mate are going on a j1 to California and we've settled on San Diego, we'll both be 21 (1 lad and 1 girl) there and looking for help with finding accommodation and maybe jobs? We've booked through Usit and they offer interviews for jobs in each city but we're still thinking about applying for other ones too if we can find out where to look for them any help would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dugster17

Planning on heading on a J1 this summer- was thinking San Diego. Am a qualified lifeguard , does anyone have any previous experiences of working as a lifeguard on a J1 in San Diego? Any places that are known to take on J1ers?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Almen11

Hey just booked mine with SAYIT! I'm basically in the same boat haven't a clue where to start and jobs are finding difficult to get

• Registered Users Posts: 1 am123

Heya!
    I'm hoping to go to San Diego this summer and there's 7 of us. I'm just looking for any advice as i'm kinda lost- wheres the best place to live? Any one have any luck with jobs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭rudders

Hopeing to head to San Diego this coming summer on a j1. Heard amazing things about the place. Anyone have any idea what date the j1 will be released this year ?

Advertisement