Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All-New, All-Different Marvel **Spoilers**

Options
  • 11-10-2015 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭

As per the suggestion in the Marvel reboot thread a separate thread to discuss the new Marvel Reboot.

allnewalldifferentmarvel-138578-ede6f.jpeg

Because kinda new, kinda different Marvel doesn't have the same ring to it.

This was originally scheduled to launch following the completion of Secret Wars but seemingly endless delays mean that they are pushing ahead, with the initial issues being released this week and Secret Wars now due to end in January, so any discussion will most likely contain spoilers on the outcome of that storyline..

Apparently it'll include 60+ titles, with 55-60 being relaunched with number 1. A list of which are available here.

Dunno what the general consensus on this is but I was probably a bit dismissive of it in the other thread when I said none of the titles were interesting to me and I'd wait out until the end of Secret Wars. Although there were a few reasons for that; the promo artwork looks fairly sh*t, and put me off it straight away, and coupled with how drastic the changes are were it reminded me of the late 90's MC2 line. Also constant reboots are one of the main reasons that have prevented me from getting into DC comics as a regular reader, and the changes in this seem so drastic that another reboot is going to be inevitable to undo them when the original characters come back. Is it worth investing into this for a year or two, when it won't really count for much? Then there is the 'storyline driven' treatment of the Fox characters, which is where most of my interest would have been, but that's for another thread.

Anyway I picked up a couple of issues, and there are some things in there that I would be interested in based on what I have read, and what's listed on wikipedia. What I picked up was...

All New, All Different Marvel Point One: Pretty much a showcase featuring a few pages from several different titles (Contest of Champions, Carnage, Rocket Racoon and Groot, The Agents of SHIELD, All New Inhumans, and Daredevil.)

Daredevil was the stand out and hopefully they use the popularity of the tv show to give the character some focus. No real interest in the others, contest of champions seemed a bit like Avengers Arena from Marvel now, and the Inhumans story seems to be the beginning of their big push to prominence in time for the movie release.

Avengers #0: Similar thing here featuring New Avengers, A-Force, Uncanny Avengers, All New All Different Avengers, Ultimates, and Squadron Supreme.

Squadron Supreme is the main stand out title here. None of the line ups in the other titles look that interesting, especially Uncanny Avengers which was one of my favourite titles a few years back, and had a clear logical reason for existing, now it just looks like a random collection of characters. Adam Kubert is on art for All New All Different Avengers so will probably give that a look.

Invincible Iron #1: This has the main spoiler from Secret Wars from what I can gather....
    Dr Doom is alive and looking like a better looking Tyrion Lannister.
    Not much else actually happens bar some Pulp Fiction homage and the inevitable suit upgrade a new creative team brings (which looks like sh*t).

Doctor Strange: Haven't read much Doctor Strange before. But again this seems to have the upcoming movie in mind, and is a lot less stuffy than what I have read. Chris Bachalo on art is as good as always but he really needs a colourist.

The Amazing Spider-Man #1: Last issue of Spider-Man I read had Superior Spider-Man destroying
    Kingpin's
    hideout and outing the Hobgoblin. So to get from that to where he begins this issue is quite a leap. I dunno if that is part of the Superior storyline that I haven't read yet or if this is just the new status quo and will be filled in as the story progresses. It's not the Spider-man I am used to but I like it. Also a showcase of the other Spider titles in the second half of this issue which seems very Batman Incorporated.

This post actually turned out a lot longer than I intended.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I'm really looking forward to some of the titles but some of them really don't pique my interest at all.

Spider-man, for example, doesn't interest me anymore at all. The idea of Spider-man, a street-level guy who's interests are in protecting New York, going global in a Batman Incorporated sort of way is just unappealing. Hell the idea of him even owning his own company kinda lost me.

I picked up Iron Man and Doctor Strange the other day but haven't read them yet; I'm a total dork and can't bring myself to read them before Secret Wars finishes.

I didn't bother with Point One or ANADA #0s cos of the showcasey vibe. Much rather just wait and see how they turn out...!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I did hear there's a Howard the Duck/Squirrel Girl comic in the works for next year so that's one I will definitely read. Apart from that I may check out Spider-Man 2099 since I think it's Peter David writing it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The approach to this reminds me a lot of Heroes Reborn, which in some ways isn't a terrible thing (if nothing else HR had some reasonably good internal consistency, which I would personally appreciate if it turns out the comics I'm reading are doing the whole "shared universe" thing) but in other ways won't inspire confidence (because oh look, reset button after 12-18 months for yet more All New #1 and essentially wiping any story or development that happened previously, Bobby-Ewing-style).

I do think it's a bit of a sad judgement of Marvel that the promo art in the first post has 4 Spider-Man-related characters in it as far as I can tell. I mean, they might as well just say "We'll push as many variations of this concept as we possibly can!".

Personally I'm barely keeping up with Direct Market comics at all these days, much less any of the cape stuff, and neither Marvel nor DC have announced anything that grabs my interest (Karnak by Warren Ellis came close, because anything by Warren Ellis gets me to at least take a look and consider it), and that's before we even consider how DC have neutered Vertigo since elbowing Karen Berger out the door and how Marvel have put their prices firmly into the realm of Too Much For Me To Pay. Beyond maybe picking up the last two Fraction Hawkeye trades, I don't see myself buying any Marvel stuff soon, and even those I might buy second hand just on principle...

So apparently more Secret Wars spoilers in the first issue of Uncanny Avengers. So seems you're getting to see the end result and Secret Wars is now just about how they got there

• Moderators Posts: 51,724 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

The only two I'll be picking up are Karnak and Dr.Strange.

Picking Karnak pretty much because Ellis is writing it and just like the ideas he's been teasing about his version of the character.

Dr. Strange is a character I've enjoyed since I started reading comics, so very interested with the creative team and their twist on the character.

And that'll bring to 3, Thor being the other title, that I buy monthly from Marvel.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So apparently more Secret Wars spoilers in the first issue of Uncanny Avengers. So seems you're getting to see the end result and Secret Wars is now just about how they got there

What was the spoiler here? I know New Avengers has a big one but all I picked up on was
    Rogue and Torch having a thing.

Thought the issue itself was okay. Enjoyed the J. Scott Campbell lite art. Marvel seems to be moving away from the scratchy minimalist style of the last few years back to a more cartoony style and that's fine by me.

I preferred when the Uncanny Avengers had a purpose for existing.

Glad that they realise Deadpool is over exposed although they are probably a few years too late realising it.

Old man Rogers is pretty much the Nick Fury they got rid of for Samuel L. Jackson.

When did they retcon Quicksilver's
    parentage?

If Uncanny Avengers is the Deadpool one (so many Avengers comics that I can't keep up), then the secret wars spoilers (according to ign) are
    Johnny and Spidey talk about how they're doing it in memory to Sue and Reed, so assume they apparently die.
    And Rogue is asked where all the other mutants went.

As for Quicksilver
    and Wanda's parentage, I think it was earlier this year

I picked up Iron Man and Doctor Strange the other day but haven't read them yet; I'm a total dork and can't bring myself to read them before Secret Wars finishes.

Just realised Astonishing Ant-Man #1 is out on Wednesday so screw this whole philosophy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Turtyturd wrote: »
    When did they retcon Quicksilver's
    parentage?

It happened during Axis - there was a Bleeding Cool article about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

The artwork for Sunspots new Avengers team is poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

CastorTroy wrote: »
    If Uncanny Avengers is the Deadpool one (so many Avengers comics that I can't keep up), then the secret wars spoilers (according to ign) are
    Johnny and Spidey talk about how they're doing it in memory to Sue and Reed, so assume they apparently die.
    And Rogue is asked where all the other mutants went.

That actually went straight over my head. As for the Rogue thing I think that's actually something that happens
    in the 8 months between the end of Secret Wars and the current timeline.

Other issues I read last week were...

New Avengers: Another big Secret Wars spoiler confirming
    The Maker is coming back from Battleworld.
    Other than that there's not much to it besides bad artwork....sooo much bad hair.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Typical Bendis issue...read in less than five minutes, everyone sounds the same, 'witty' dialogue, and a page of small panels where two characters do little more than 'eh' and uhhm'. The roster here (and with the other 2 Avengers titles) sums up what's so off putting about the reboot for me. I could accept Venom as being part of the Guardians, maybe even Thing at a push, but Kitty Pryde has no reason to be there. Admittedly she will make the Judaism stuff that Bendis shoehorns in seem less shoehorned but the rosters for all three books just seems like a case of 'We have a shared universe so any character can show up anywhere'. Even looking at the promo art for 'All New, All Different Avengers' (I think) it just seems like an Elseworlds version of the The Avengers and not something that will stand on it's own two feet for a significant amount of time.

Spider-Man 2099: Peter David....not much else needs to be said. Not too sure about the new costume on the cover though, there was nothing wrong with the old one.

So I've started in on the All-New Marvel Universe and so far.... it's all-similar...

I don't know what the story is with how Secret Wars ends but it seems
    the characters don't remember anything about Battleworld at all....?

So far, I've only read:

Astonishing Ant-Man #1 - This was fantastic. Keeps up the quality from the pre-Secret Wars run.

Invincible Iron Man #1 - This was okay... I might read another couple of issues and see how it pans out.

Karnak #1 - This was great. Looking forward to more of this series!

I have Sam Wilson Captain America #1 and Doctor Strange #1 on the shelf so I'll get to them later tonight!

The roster on the flagship avengers book is weak.

The roster on the flagship avengers book is weak.

You reckon?

Captain America - I kind of agree here; Cap is Steve Rogers to me...

Thor - I'm liking Lady-Thor. If Waid can give her the respect that Aaron does, I'll be happy enough.

Iron Man - Standard.

Ms. Marvel - Great character and one of Marvel's best sellers atm, iirc.

Spider-man - I like the Miles Morales version more than Peter Parker atm.

Nova - I don't see many people talk about this iteration of Nova but I really like him! His innocence will add something cool to the team, I reckon, much like Kamala Khan.

Vision - Obviously renewed interest for the Vision since Avengers: Age of Ultron came out. Makes sense they'd throw him in. I like Vision....

Kinda looks like a sturdy line-up to me, tbh...!

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

I was up for this reboot but Marvel have made a total mess of it, the delays are fiasco and the event interrupted all of my favorite titles for no apparent reason.

Then there is the prices, I don't mind paying more for a double issue but when everything is a double issue that means I can only buy half as many titles that week, because like most people I have limited resources. It's poor planning.

This was supposed to be a big jumping on point but instead it's become a turning off point, delays, spoilers, high prices and an uninspiring start have all meant that it's not so inspiring and I've passed on all the titles I was planning on starting.

I was up for this reboot but Marvel have made a total mess of it, the delays are fiasco and the event interrupted all of my favorite titles for no apparent reason.

Then there is the prices, I don't mind paying more for a double issue but when everything is a double issue that means I can only buy half as many titles that week, because like most people I have limited resources. It's poor planning.

This was supposed to be a big jumping on point but instead it's become a turning off point, delays, spoilers, high prices and an uninspiring start have all meant that it's not so inspiring and I've passed on all the titles I was planning on starting.

Yeah... as well as that, so far it's pretty much All-New, All-Similar Marvel...

I'm trying to remain positive about this but it's tough to ignore a lot of the negatives about it...

Poor old Nightcrawler. He should be the hardest to capture.

Advertisement