Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Heavy Rain - Sunday 23rd August

• 21-08-2015 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭

Probably doesn't deserve a level 1 warning , a mod can edit as forecasts become more certain but as it stands Sunday is looking rather wet with a band of rain moving in from the east and pivoting around a low pressure system with rain for a good part of the day in a line roughly from the south east to the north west, the south west may escape with small amounts. warm to the north of the rain band, up to 21/22 degrees.Gales off the west coast later in the day. just for anyone with outdoor plans, take note.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A relatively tight gradient projected to develop off the west/NW coast later Sunday into early Monday (HIRLAM) Doubt it will pan out exactly like that given the unusual development and track of the low but worth keeping an eye on for this very reason.

359455.PNG

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Leinster, Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal
    A spell of heavy and locally thundery rain, will move westwards across the Country, from the Irish Sea, later tonight and during Sunday. Some intense downpours can be expected at times. Totals of 30 to 40 mm are likely, highest over Leinster, where values on some mountains, may get up to 50mm.

a tweet issued from ESB a short time ago

ESB Networks @ESBNetworks
    VERY bad forecast from Midnight possible #lightning this may cause us some issues Updates http://www.powercheck.ie if not listed 1850372999
    8:56 PM - 22 Aug 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just seen the bbc forecast there before match of the day, it looked like the main band could clear around 12 tomorrow, i hope it does.

Some real heavy stuff off west wales, how far west will it go though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Some real heavy stuff off west wales, how far west will it go though!

Quite wet in Arklow now

The welsh stuff is going north as much as west,Ulster wrote on it I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Is Cork actually gonna get in on some of this action?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Still no rain here...but the outlook is ominous......

z7XG1yJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Hooter23

a tweet issued from ESB a short time ago

ESB Networks @ESBNetworks
    VERY bad forecast from Midnight possible #lightning this may cause us some issues Updates http://www.powercheck.ie if not listed 1850372999
    8:56 PM - 22 Aug 2015

Says that now on Rte news possible power outages tonight due to lightning...not too bad yet looking at the latest radar we shall wait and see sure..

Having threatened all day it has just now started raining in this part of SE Dublin....it dumped 1.2mm in the first 10 minutes.....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Already raining here in West Mayo. Didn't think the rain was to spread westwards so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭pad199207

Belting it down in Sth Wexford now

Raining 50 minutes now...total 4.0mm. No thunderstorms yet...just heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

is on and off here ! I shall keep the dinghy from hidden valley afloat !!! garden is sure to flood tomorrow !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Light rain in swords Co. Dublin at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,669 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Very low tides at the moment, risk of flooding in low coastal areas should be minimal.

Already the wettest day since the 26th July here - and it's only been raining an hour!

5.2mm.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Non stop in Galway since 9pm, crazy weather

Been raining here now for the past 2 hours....8.4mm...a steady heavy fall in calm conditions.

My Vantage Pro readout says "It's raining cats and dogs"!

I'm off to bed.....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

18.0mm (so far) here (in Dublin 16) since rain started around 11.30 last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

26 mm some real power hose down pours earlier in the night too
    Looks like if its raining with you now its here for the day moving East to west

Currently very wet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

M50 was awash with water on thew way into work. Visibility is pretty rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Just 6.0mm recorded in Galway city since midnight, 11.8mm in the last 24hrs

9.0 mm in Castlebar since midnight. It's a dark morning, very mild and humid, lots of low cloud down on the hills. 12 degrees, 1002.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain total of 25.4mm here now (in Dublin 16)...or 1 inch in old money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Steady rain in north meath today, definitely not as heavy as i was expecting so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Looks like my match will be a washout today, was due to kickoff at 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

24mm and counting here, well needed rain, nice to have a proper wet day for once!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Supercell wrote: »
    24mm and counting here, well needed rain, nice to have a proper wet day for once!

While I concur, given that the field on the front of Bray Head where I sometimes walk the dog has yellow grass and cracks in the soil, I can't help but worry about uttering similar sentiments now in case it's construed as rubbing salt into the wounds of the rest of the country. :)

• Advertisement

Still raining....27.6 mm so far...August won't be an exceptionally dry month after all!

Apart from one 30 minute blast between 1 and 2am (when the rate peaked at 65mm/hr) it has been constant and light/moderate, not much of a breeze.

13C and, obviously, rather dull...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement