Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right to inherit

Options
  • 19-08-2015 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

So my friends daughter got married to a farmer in Cavan two months. The farmer and his said wife did not have a prenup, so she is entitled to half of the farm. The son had signed his right to inherit the farm away even though he works there, but his father can leave it all to him or give all to his other brother.

Does the marriage without the prenup over rule the signing away of the farm? Therefore she is entitled to half the farm if they get divorced

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Who owns the farm?

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Don't think 'prenups' are a thing here

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭teddyboy

diomed wrote: »
    Who owns the farm?

The father owns the farm but will leave it to his son. Can you claim for future inheritance? For the record they are not getting divorced, just wondering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

You say the father can leave the farm to one son or the other son. That suggests the father has not made a will. Has the owner of the farm made a will? Is there a loan or mortgage on the farm?
    You can not claim for something you might inherit in the future. I made a will. I can change that will if I wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

I think if he leaves no will the children can claim 1/3 of the estate
    not each but between, but if he leaves a will leaving it to his sons
    the wife inherits half first. Im not 100% but i was listening to the radio and Im sure this was the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If the couple were to divorce tomorrow then no, she is not entitled to half what he might inherit 5,10,15+ years down the line.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/separation_and_divorce/succession.html

Once a decree of divorce/dissolution is granted, the parties are no longer married or in a civil partnership, and succession rights are automatically extinguished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

There is no automatic provision in Irish law that says that a spouse gets half of all property on divorce.

Your post is unclear, but are you saying that the husband does not own the farm, he works on his fathers farm which he may or may not inherit in the future.

The wife wants to know can she demand half of a piece of property in a divorce that doesn't belong to her husband but that belongs to someone else. NO, she cant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

huskerdu wrote: »
    There is no automatic provision in Irish law that says that a spouse gets half of all property on divorce.

Your post is unclear, but are you saying that the husband does not own the farm, he works on his fathers farm which he may or may not inherit in the future.

The wife wants to know can she demand half of a piece of property in a divorce that doesn't belong to her husband but that belongs to someone else. NO, she cant

I read it that way first, but now i think the op means the woman married the farmer, so she is the two sons stepmother perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

teddyboy wrote: »
    So my friends daughter got married to a farmer in Cavan two months. The farmer and his said wife did not have a prenup, so she is entitled to half of the farm. The son had signed his right to inherit the farm away even though he works there, but his father can leave it all to him or give all to his other brother.

Does the marriage without the prenup over rule the signing away of the farm? Therefore she is entitled to half the farm if they get divorced

A very simple Google search will tell you that prenuptial agreements have no basis in Irish law. Even if there had been one it would mean nothing should the couple divorce. In Ireland a divorce isn't even final and settlements can be revisited years after the couple have legally divorced.

Advertisement