Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards A&A Tour of Casement Aerodrome.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I'd be happy to make contact with Casement, to see if they would facilitate a tour and organise it from there.

Let me know by PM if you're are interested.

You're on top on the list Fred. :)

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    I'd be happy to make contact with Casement, to see if they would facilitate a tour and organise it from there.

Let me know by PM if you're are interested.

You're on top on the list Fred. :)
    You're in the Co-Pilot seat muppet01

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I think I suggested going to Baldonnel over the summer when we were discussing that beers in January. It's a great tour. I'd love to go if we're organising it.

Peregrine wrote: »
    I think I suggested going to Baldonnel over the summer when we were discussing that beers in January. It's a great tour. I'd love to go if we're organising it.
    Hi Peregrine in a couple of earlier posts I said, I'd put together a "dedicated Av & Air Bordsies tour of Casement".

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96503535&postcount=6

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96527397&postcount=7

If you're happy with that, do you want to grab Flight Engineer's seat?

Hi Peregrine I'd be happy to put together a "dedicated Av & Air Bordsies tour of Casement".

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96503535&postcount=6

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96527397&postcount=7

If you're happy with that, do want to grab Flight Engineer's seat?
    Sir, yes sir :)

• Advertisement

Peregrine wrote: »
    Sir, yes sir :)
    Welcome aboard, FE Peregrine:)
    Now, whose up for Navigator and Radio Operator's , positions? ;)

Note:
    I've asked the Mods if they might split this section of the topic and make it a stand alone, so as it wouldn't be confused with the South Dublin County Council tour on Aug 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

A separate thread for a potential tour of Casement Aerodrome for Boards.ie A&A posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I'd very much like to go along with my partner.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

I would be interested depending on day and time as i work shift

Noxegon wrote: »
    I'd very much like to go along with my partner.
    Thanks Noxegon and Partner. Navigator and Radio Operator's seats now gone. :)

Anyone else out there who wants to sign up to our crew?

What I will do is contact Casement on Monday, requesting the availability of a tour.
    I will also ask, what day's are available for tours.
    Also if a there is minimum number of visitors required for a tour.

As soon as I have a response I let everyone know.

• Advertisement

Stealthirl wrote: »
    I would be interested depending on day and time as i work shift

Cheers Stealthirl :) , will put you on the list and get back to you as soon as I have response from Casement.

Final update of the evening:

So far 12 people have contacted me in regard of our proposed tour of Casement.

Just to let you know that I will be making contact first thing Monday and I will be back to everyone just as soon as I get a response from the authorities in Casement.

Please feel free to give me a shout if you want your name included on the list.

Many thanks to everyone who have got in touch so far.

Please bear in mind that the Museum is only open Monday to Friday, during business hours.

Cheers
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

Thanks Noxegon and Partner. Navigator and Radio Operator's seats now gone. :)

Anyone else out there who wants to sign up to our crew?

What I will do is contact Casement on Monday, requesting the availability of a tour.
    I will also ask, what day's are available for tours.
    Also if a there is minimum number of visitors required for a tour.

As soon as I have a response I let everyone know.

As someone who has done this before you will be better off finding a date or even two that suits everyone that wants to go on the tour before contacting the Air Corps,and also have the names and details of all attending ,They will ask you what day you want to go and how many will be coming, if you know beforehand it will speed things up for you, the tours of Baldonnel are on week days, Mon to Fri and usually start at 10.00 and run until lunchtime..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I would agree with that

I'd suggest planning some distance out so people can book annual leave if needed.

Mondays work best here.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭islanderre

I'd definitely be interested if I'm in not working....... I'm a 12 hour shift worker too so hard to get time off sometimes due to having to get cover.

Cheers Pat for making the enquiry.

Islanderre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Put me down on the list for definite. I'm adaptable enough time/date wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I'd be interested in going too, am flexible with dates too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

You guys should ask for one of Dublin as well, we have groups in here all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

You guys should ask for one of Dublin as well, we have groups in here all the time.

Dublin as in EIDW? That sounds good if possible at all!

Thanks Dublinflyer, I'll get this one over the line first and perhaps talk with you at a later stage.

If people want to set up their own "Dublin tour" topic, go for it :)

Could we stay on topic with Casement here, many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Indeed Pat. Lets see how the first attempt at a Boards A&A tour goes before we start looking ahead. First thing is to ensure Pat gets the numbers that he needs, but also the reliability of those numbers. Its easy to get 10-15 names, harder to get those 15 people standing there on the day.

ie. I am shift work with limited shift change ability, so have not added my name to Casement in order to prevent dropping out halfway through.

I'm available pretty much every day until mid September.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

im the same as tenger but if i know a ate and time im good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Myself and another are very interested in this. We're weekday workers so will be counting on getting annual leave once the date is confirmed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm interested and have quite flexible work arrangements as goes dates / time of day

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭notuslimited

Count me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭b318isp

If some dates are proposed, I could be interested depending on work schedule.

Just to let everyone know, that I have contaced Casement and I am currently waiting for the museum curator to contact me back.

I will ask if there is a day available during the last week of August. If this is not available I will go to "Plan B" and ask if there is a day during the first week of Septmber available.

Just as soon as I have contact back I will let everyone know.

Many thanks to all who have contacted me in the last few days.

Cheers
    Pat

• Advertisement

Just to let everyone know that I have received the following reply from Casement in regard of our proposed tour.
    Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding a tour of Baldonnel, home of the Irish Air Corps.

In order to be permitted to tour Baldonnel you must supply the following information & comply with these instructions;

a. The Name, Address & Contact Telephone Number of every adult in your group, youth club, society, etc, plus the amount of children.
    b. The vehicle Registration Number, Make & Type of all vehicles belonging to your group, youth club, society that you intend to utilise to travel in to Casement Aerodrome.
    c. These vehicles must be taxed, insured & have NCT if applicable.
    d. You must ensure you group follow all the instructions of the tour guide.
    e. For every ten children there must be one adult supervisor.
    f. Health & Safety brief will be given on arrival to Baldonnel.
    g. There is NO CHARGE for a tour of Baldonnel & NO GRATUITIES, MONIES or REWARDS can be accepted.
    h. Tours normally last no longer than 2 hours.
    i. Tours may be cancelled at short notice due to operational reasons but we will endeavour to inform you in advance.
    j. Photography is permitted in certain areas and your tour guide will explain in detail on your arrival.
    k. Tours normally commence at 1000hrs.

Regards

RSMs Office
    No5 Support Wing
    Casement Aerodrome
    Baldonnel

I have proposed Friday 28th August as our first date, followed by Wednesday 2nd September as our alternative date.

So please PM me your name, address and telephone number.
    Followed by the registration, make and type of your vehicle.
    If you are bringing children please let me know the number you will be bringing.

Please only send me the required information by Private Message before 3:00pm Friday 14th August

Advertisement