Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of dropping HL English

Options
  • 20-04-2015 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Currently in 5th year and thinking of dropping HL English because I'm already doing 7 other HL subjects , and I'm never going to count it . My parents say I shouldn't because "it's good to have" and future employers will look for it . My teacher loves to give out to me everyday about anything and I get the feel she wants me to drop down . I usually average around 60-70% in tests . Personally I would like to drop down .. Any advice would be appreciated thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

when/if you go to university you've got to write loads of essays, and higher level English helps you communicate your opinions..But its understandable if your under loads of stress, and Irish can be easier to achieve good marks in. Keep going for now I'd say, see how you get on in your mocks next year, not over-killing yourself with the subject. Really up to you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hansprungfeld

Peg14 wrote: »
    when/if you go to university you've got to write loads of essays, and higher level English helps you communicate your opinions..But its understandable if your under loads of stress, and Irish can be easier to achieve good marks in. Keep going for now I'd say, see how you get on in your mocks next year, not over-killing yourself with the subject. Really up to you!!

I'm thinking of doing actuarial science / engineering so don't think there will be too much essay writing ? I'm doing applied maths so prob won't include Irish aswell. Thanks for your response :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Of all the subjects to drop this is not the one. You're averaging 60-70% in tests why would you drop it? You may think now you won't be counting it but you never know how things will go on the day for you and how you may need it to save you. Just keep it to have it to fall back on. Why do you need to drop any? It's not as if you're struggling, just seems silly.

anna080 wrote: »
    Of all the subjects to drop this is not the one. You're averaging 60-70% in tests why would you drop it? You may think now you won't be counting it but you never know how things will go on the day for you and how you may need it to save you. Just keep it to have it to fall back on. Why do you need to drop any? It's not as if you're struggling, just seems silly.
    Because I don't see the point in keeping it on and spending time on it when that time could be better invested in other subjects I know I'm going to use for points . Teacher loves giving out to me for no reason ... Had a piece of paper with a few crumples in it , went on for 10 mins giving out . Does things like this on a regular basis but says I'm not allowed to drop down .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There may not be essays, but there are always reports, pitches etc. to be written. I would agree with anna080, English would not be the subject I'd drop.

Whatever your teacher says, you can pick whatever level you like on the day.

Your choice of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Because I don't see the point in keeping it on and spending time on it when that time could be better invested in other subjects I know I'm going to use for points . Teacher loves giving out to me for no reason ... Had a piece of paper with a few crumples in it , went on for 10 mins giving out . Does things like this on a regular basis but says I'm not allowed to drop down .

But whatever effort/energy/time you think you'll be saving yourself in dropping down isn't very realistic. Ordinary level isn't exactly a walk in the park. You still need to put just as much effort into that and do just as much study and research. Albeit at a more basic level, the effort and time manifested is much the same. And I can guarantee you the amount of time and energy invested into studying for a grade at ordinary level would get you the same grade at higher level and better points. The choice is yours however, only you can make the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Honestly you have to ask yourself your reason for dropping? Maybe the teacher is being like that to push you..some teachers methods are crazy but some are for the benefit of the student. I know 2 people who actually have dropped for the same reason as yours (one is doing physics outside school and the other is trying to focus on honours maths) and both completely regret it. I know that you always think but il be fine and you hear the horror stories and think well that wont be me but what if you go blank? What if one of your reliables has the worst paper ever seen? What if (godforbid) something happens to a family member and the only exam you actually sit is English? Youll be glad you did it next year If you decided to repeat...I know my reasons seem exaggerated but I honestly think the that people who drop English are absolutely crazy if there only reason is the same as your one..youll still have to work at pass..honestly think of the difference in CAO points..whatever you do good luck

Honestly you have to ask yourself your reason for dropping? Maybe the teacher is being like that to push you..some teachers methods are crazy but some are for the benefit of the student. I know 2 people who actually have dropped for the same reason as yours (one is doing physics outside school and the other is trying to focus on honours maths) and both completely regret it. I know that you always think but il be fine and you hear the horror stories and think well that wont be me but what if you go blank? What if one of your reliables has the worst paper ever seen? What if (godforbid) something happens to a family member and the only exam you actually sit is English? Youll be glad you did it next year If you decided to repeat...I know my reasons seem exaggerated but I honestly think the that people who drop English are absolutely crazy if there only reason is the same as your one..youll still have to work at pass..honestly think of the difference in CAO points..whatever you do good luck

You make a valid point in fairness , think the pros outweigh the cons here . Although I have Irish to fall back on anyway if one of the old reliables goes wrong , and I know two guys that did ordinary English last year and both got 625...

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

You make a valid point in fairness , think the pros outweigh the cons here . Although I have Irish to fall back on anyway if one of the old reliables goes wrong , and I know two guys that did ordinary English last year and both got 625...

But what if they got lucky? Honestly sorry I just think your mad to drop it the pros really outweigh the cons :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Currently in 5th year and thinking of dropping HL English ...
    Whatever decision you eventually make, I would suggest that you're thinking of making it very early; I would suggest toughing it out at least until the end of the year but preferably well into next year before making up your mind.

It's very easy drop levels; it's not so easy go up levels and catch up if you decide somewhere down the road that you've made a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 johnd21

dropping down to ordinary english and irish and leaving 6 higher level subjects remaining, that is the perfect plan, you must be going for high points, i dropped english and if i could would also do irish however only doing 7 subjects, what you will learn in ordinary and what the higher will learn isnt that different at all. As for irish, great language, flawed subject, too much too cover, unless you plan on studying very early for irish get rid of her aswell, perfect your other 6 and your sorted

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I'm thinking of doing actuarial science / engineering so don't think there will be too much essay writing ? I'm doing applied maths so prob won't include Irish aswell. Thanks for your response :)

I'm doing physics in college atm and I was surprised to learn about the amount of presentations and reports I'll be doing over four years.

I'm kinda like you. I did Applied Maths as well. I was certain I wouldn't count English and wanted to drop down after the mocks but I didn't do it for whatever reason and I ended up getting a B3 AND having to count it :) One exam didn't go so well.

It's your choice but 60-70% is a good score and I'd urge you to keep it up if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

At the start of 5th Year I decided to drop to OL Irish much to the same reasoning you are using with English. I honestly regret it. I never would have gotten more than a B3 but I would have certainly at least have gotten an honours with the same amount of effort I am putting into OL. What if one of my 6 HL subjects has an awful paper? I'll have to rely on OL Irish for points which will yield me less than if I stuck at HL.

Stick with HL English, especially if you're scoring in the B3/C1 bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Header15

I was in quite a similar situation to you I feel having done the LC last year. In fifth year I was doing 8 HL subjects and felt it was too much. I saw English as being a highly unreliable subject (needed high points) and so was determined to drop to OL. My mam wouldn't let me as it was 'important'. I kept it up and by October of 6th year we had the comparitive, Shakespeare and 2 poets covered. I then decided to stop going to English class for the remainder of the year and sat the mock getting a B3 and saw that it was passable. I was still worried the day of the LC and went to my teacher who said there was no fear of me failing as paper 1 requires no rote learning and was generally my stronger paper. Miraculously I came out with an A1 and so am grateful that my teacher told me to stick at it. Effectively, I feel that this shows clearly the flaws of LC English. It's all about how the style of the particular paper suits the student and makes it quite unreliable. Then again, getting a C with minimal effort is in now way impossible but all the work in the world could still end you up with a C as I saw from some of my friends.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Averaging 60-70% is a great grade in english, you're obviously good at it! No reason to drop. Keep at it!

Advertisement