Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jump from JC OL Irish to LC OL is too big.

Options
  • 02-04-2015 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭

Well lads, I'm in 5th year and I must say that this Irish stuff is hard. I got a B in my Junior Cert but I don't know how since I thought I'd get a D but I digress. I find that the amount of learning off that must be done to be insane considering how little had to be done in the Junior Cert. We're in the middle of doing Caca Milís and we've done that story about your man and his high maintenance woman having a party whatever that's called, and we did that poem about the lion before Christmas but I find it all overwhelming. How am I supposed to say how I feel about a poem in Irish when I can hardly understand it and can't conjugate a sentence about it even if I could understand it. Foundation is out the window since I need a pass for College.
    Does anyone have any tips or anything? Could anyone tell me what's on the OL LC paper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Well lads, I'm in 5th year and I must say that this Irish stuff is hard. I got a B in my Junior Cert but I don't know how since I thought I'd get a D but I digress. I find that the amount of learning off that must be done to be insane considering how little had to be done in the Junior Cert. We're in the middle of doing Caca Milís and we've done that story about your man and his high maintenance woman having a party whatever that's called, and we did that poem about the lion before Christmas but I find it all overwhelming. How am I supposed to say how I feel about a poem in Irish when I can hardly understand it and can't conjugate a sentence about it even if I could understand it. Foundation is out the window since I need a pass for College.
    Does anyone have any tips or anything? Could anyone tell me what's on the OL LC paper?

If you're struggling now I'd advise you to drop. You have to know the poems, short film and the play/autobiography off. Ordinary level is the same afaik but no play/biography to learn.
    I'm a 6th year in HL Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

If you're struggling now I'd advise you to drop. You have to know the poems, short film and the play/autobiography off. Ordinary level is the same afaik but no play/biography to learn.
    I'm a 6th year in HL Irish.

Thanks for the reply but I'm already in Ordinary Level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Thanks for the reply but I'm already in Ordinary Level.

Sorry 🙈 I didn't read this thoroughly. Okay if you're struggling at OL ask one of your friends to simplify some notes out and learn them. I do it for my friends and it seems to work. :)

Sorry 🙈 I didn't read this thoroughly. Okay if you're struggling at OL ask one of your friends to simplify some notes out and learn them. I do it for my friends and it seems to work. :)

Haha you're grand you had good intentions, thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I did HL for JC and opted for OL for LC so I have a decent level of Irish compared to the other lads in my class who did OL for JC.

JC HL required you to learn answers on poems and stories so at LC OL this was no surprise to me, but it was for the lads who did OL for JC. Honestly, you'll get the hang of it!

You're on Easter Break now, in 5th Year, enjoy it and take this first week off. Then, outline the 5 poems and 5 stories you must know. For the poem you'll be asked about themes, imagery/sounds and emotions (for the most part) Make a mindmap of each poem and be able to write 5/7 basic sentences under each heading. The stories are a little harder as you're expected to write a summary and also about characters.

Honestly, at OL I'd focus on doing well in the oral. I know my written Irish is atrocious but if I can get a decent oral done, I'll be fine. I won't get close to the 40% but I'll have something behind me going in with me in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If you're not going to be counting Irish in your 6 subjects, you can do very well with minimal learning

e.g. Learn one essay off to a tee, write it no matter what comes up, you can get 25 marks out of 50 iirc. A blog can be learned off my the same rules. The oral isn't as bad as it looks, from what people tell me anyway. Poetry has short questions that are common sense to answer. And if you're good at listening and comprehensions that's a pretty good exam without any poetry long questions, prós and only one essay. The prós have short questions too, easy marks. You can just put down any old thing that's relevant to the other prós and the poetry long question, you'll still pick up a few marks.

I too got a B in OL JC Irish and that's basically my plan in the LC this year, it got me 64% in the mocks so it may be worth a shot.

Learn one essay off to a tee, write it no matter what comes up, you can get 25 marks out of 50 iirc.

Really?!?! Also what's prós?

Really?!?! Also what's prós?

Well according to my teacher, she claims that everything you write will be graded, and if it's totally irrelevant but the irish is perfect then you'll still get marks for it.

Prós are the stories, I don't even know if mine are different to yours, but I do Caca Millis, Gnathrúd, Hurlamabocht and I've actually forgotten the other two

Well according to my teacher, she claims that everything you write will be graded, and if it's totally irrelevant but the irish is perfect then you'll still get marks for it.

Prós are the stories, I don't even know if mine are different to yours, but I do Caca Millis, Gnathrúd, Hurlamabocht and I've actually forgotten the other two

Those stories are hard man. It's very hard to learn something off when you can't really speak the language because if it's a case where you forget a part you learned you can't make it up as you go because you can't speak it. At least in my experiences anyway.

Those stories are hard man. It's very hard to learn something off when you can't really speak the language because if it's a case where you forget a part you learned you can't make it up as you go because you can't speak it. At least in my experiences anyway.

My way of learning essays is write it in english, translate it as best you can and ask the teacher to go over it. Once they've corrected it, you know the whole story in english word for word and you just need to try to remember the few key words for every sentence. It seems daunting, but it's not even one page of writing. If you forget a part, throw in some keywords that make sense and carry on.

You'll be doing and redoing these essays and others in school anyways, and loads of them are basic irish, coupled with sentences shared between each.

Obviously my advice is horrendous for anyone wishing to learn and enjoy the language but I get the feeling you'll not use irish too often come next July

• Advertisement

My way of learning essays is write it in english, translate it as best you can and ask the teacher to go over it. Once they've corrected it, you know the whole story in english word for word and you just need to try to remember the few key words for every sentence. It seems daunting, but it's not even one page of writing. If you forget a part, throw in some keywords that make sense and carry on.

You'll be doing and redoing these essays and others in school anyways, and loads of them are basic irish, coupled with sentences shared between each.

Obviously my advice is horrendous for anyone wishing to learn and enjoy the language but I get the feeling you'll not use irish too often come next July

Thanks for the advice, I kinda have a bit of anxiety when it comes to Irish I think.

Meh wait until this time next year, you'll have anxiety out the arsehole.

The exam is out of 600 marks.

240 (40%) is the oral
    60 (10%) the listening
    100 for your essays
    100 for your comprehensions
    50 for pros
    50 for poetry

So you can get half marks in the Oral, Listening, essays and comprehensions and not answer the other two, and pass.

It's a really easy exam if you look at how the marks are allocated. I'm not saying aim to do piss all and easily pass it, but there's no need to stress out over the prós and worry about a fail over them.

The oral I wouldn't be great at, my saving grace in JC was that the written wasn't too hard. I'm fine with the oral until they start asking questions I don't know. Because if they ask questions that I haven't seen before its "Ní thuigim" X100 which kinda happened for my Junior Cert.

But I must say that you make it look a lot easier and I thank you for that.

The oral I wouldn't be great at, my saving grace in JC was that the written wasn't too hard. I'm fine with the oral until they start asking questions I don't know. Because if they ask questions that I haven't seen before its "Ní thuigim" X100 which kinda happened for my Junior Cert.

But I must say that you make it look a lot easier and I thank you for that.

No bother. I had to redo my JC oral because I was shaking like a leaf :o You could hear the cupboard tapping off the wall behind me I was shaking so much, buckets of sweat, talked absolute ****e until my teacher took pity and asked me to come back :o:o:o

So I think your's was better than mine. As I've said, the oral is easier than it looks according to pretty much everyone, the sraith pictuir are the hardest part, they're worth almost 13% of the whole exam. Two reasonable sentences on each picture will get you a C grade there, and there's a further 35 marks for reading one of your poems :eek: They're throwing marks at you. You can even write the phonetics of each word above it and carry the sheet in with you, just read your own phonetic interpretation of the words.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I'm an irish teacher, had plenty of ordinary level classes in my time, they tend to do very well.

Poetry and prose are great tools for learning vocabulary. Remember. You'll get around the same marks for reading out the poem in the oral for 1 minuthe that you do for writing answers about the poems. So don't sweat the poetry too much. The percentage for each answer is tiny.

My main advice is to read class notes aloud. Try speaking and talking irish every single day. Make iit5 minutes of your homework / study

Record yourself on your phone and listen back. If you dedicate 10 minutes a day for this I guarantee you'll improve.

For fun, watch in the name of the fada. Des bishop, on YouTube. It's inspirational how quickly he becomes fluent

Have you got any tips or advice for the prós? Thanks for the reply :)

Make yourself an a4 sheet on each. 3 or 4 lines on each character

If you're asked about a character, you'd want 4 or 5 words to describe him.

Know the story summary. If you can write 15 lines of a summary for each story and 4 lines on each character you're laughing.

The stories are quite good really. Just dis is beyond ****.

Oisin has a few nice PowerPoints online. Just Google Oisin... Ppt

Also, people have made great videos on YouTube. Watch those.

Also, learn off 20 verbs. Have them in the back of your copy and revise them once a week for 5 minutes.

A good verb makes a good sentence. Get away from ta or Bhí as much as possible

Thanks I'm currently in the middle of translating a sheet on the theme of Cáca Milis, lots to translate! Your advice seems really good and encouraging, thanks very much.

I wouldn't worry about the themes of the stories. Only themes in poetry.

The summary is much more important

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭nathan99

Hey advanced ghost, i was in your exact same situation last year, i didnt know how to structure any sentences or write any essay and it continued like that for the rest of fifth year which alot of tests i did not do well in. In 6th year i got the revise wise OL irish book and it has everything laid out pretty simply in the poetry and pros its gives you about 20 sentences to learn off and these sentenced you can use for any answer and essays you can just learn off. I got 58% in the mock and i have to say i have no interest in the subject but all i need to do is pass it to get into college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

Thanks I'm currently in the middle of translating a sheet on the theme of Cáca Milis, lots to translate! Your advice seems really good and encouraging, thanks very much.

was in same situation but when you enter 6th year and you look at the previous Irish year exams you will see a D is very obtainable in pass Irish.
    I got a D in pass Junior Cert Irish and a D in pass Leaving Cert Irish.
    The examiners do not want to fail students when it comes to any LC subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 catb

I can't believe our whole life depends on an exam which may involve writing about a man who chokes on a piece of cake on a train

catb wrote: »
    I can't believe our whole life depends on an exam which may involve writing about a man who chokes on a piece of cake on a train

Bit of an overestimate, if you really want to do something there's a (longer usually) way there somehow or another

• Registered Users Posts: 27 catb

Bit of an overestimate, if you really want to do something there's a (longer usually) way there somehow or another

I wasn't being that serious with what I said, it was meant to be taken light-heartedly, in my opinion it's a pretty stupid thing to put on the Leaving Cert course, idk.

catb wrote: »
    I wasn't being that serious with what I said, it was meant to be taken light-heartedly, in my opinion it's a pretty stupid thing to put on the Leaving Cert course, idk.

Sorry went completely over my head :D The majority of the courses are useless info to the majority of people imo

I think it's a brilliant short film, modern and with world famous actor in the lead role.

Certainly much more interesting and relevant than a lot of material in a lot of subjects

Advertisement