Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Direction Advice

Options
  • 25-03-2015 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. So I'm here looking for career suggestions, I'd really appreciate any ideas you guys have.

I've got an undergrad in Computer Science and Applied Maths, and a Masters in Maths, both from the same Irish university, both with high grades (a 1.1 in each). In college I got some tutoring experience, and worked in a call centre, and after, moved on to be a data analyst for a bookies. I really loved studying maths and learning new things, I had been thinking about going on to do a PhD, but I'm not sure I like the idea of yet another 4 years in college (though I do know doctoral research is a far cry from studying by examination).

So my problem is that I've no idea what sort of career I want to go for. I want something challenging, with a good problem-solving aspect. Salary is obviously a big factor, and I'd like something based in Ireland (though putting in a year or two abroad to get the best experience possible isn't completely off the cards).

I know this is all very vague and unhelpful, but that's as specific as my career goals are at the minute, if I'm being truthful. I'm just looking for a bit of casual advice, as I'm looking to make a move, but no idea what to. I've met with career guidance in college, spoke to people in my departments and contacted recruitment agencies, so my logical next step was strangers on the Internet! Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 evadingnun

Bit of optional extra info:

I've been a data analyst for less than a year, so far it's been pretty straightforward: pull data with SQL, use it to build/update a report in Excel, try to make it easy to run if it's to be run regularly. It can be challenging, but it's a lot of busywork. I know that's a silly complaint for my first real job in a career, and I wouldn't mind it if I thought I was going anywhere with it, but I don't really see any room to move forward in my company, and the work of my superiors doesn't seem to be much less tedious. That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the gambling industry, so it's clear enough I'm not going to stay in this company for very long.

One job I applied to did excite me: it was for SIG's assistant trader program. The job seemed stressful but rewarding, and the company seemed brilliant. Got a phone interview, then a face-to-face one, but no further. I'm thinking of applying to a couple of other trading jobs, though none seem quite as good as that one did.

Also, for the life of me, I can not figure out the difference between business intelligence, data analysis, data scientist and a whole bunch of other terms I've come across while job hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,839 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Actuary springs to mind.

I don't know what the path into it is in this country. Where I come from, it was to trainee job with a firm (usually and insurance company), and did exams as part of the traineeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Actuary springs to mind.

I don't know what the path into it is in this country. Where I come from, it was to trainee job with a firm (usually and insurance company), and did exams as part of the traineeship.

I am a qualified actuary and I agree, it sounds like it could suit. If you like the idea of a PhD then you won't be too fazed by doing the actuarial exams which would take a similar but potentially longer length of time.

Once you have a couple of years experience, you will be highly in demand and you have a reasonable chance of getting to 6 figures in your 30s.

I do use SQL and some of my work sounds similar to yours but it tends to be more creative while the more mundane stuff gets sent off to people like the role you are currently working in. I find the job very rewarding and fairly low stress in general.

Feel free to ask more specific questions on the subject if it interests you.

Thanks both for getting back to me, sorry for the tardy response.

That does seem very interesting to me, I've done a bit of reading in the past few days.

From what I've seen, at least for trainees, there are a lot of hours, and maybe a bit of travelling. Do the number of hours relent a bit as you go on? I don't mind doing extra work if it's building towards my future. While I don't think they'd be in any way easy, I'm not all that worried about the exams, I've got a good track record with exams. To be fully trained there's 15 exams, right? Again, there's a lot of general info online, but most of it is a few years old.

Finally, what's the best first step to make? Simply search "trainee actuary" on job sites? Who are the big players in Ireland, is there any way to tell which company is better to work for (glassdoor isn't highly populated with Irish workplaces)? I worry about choosing a firm, since, if they're funding exams and membership, they're probably going to expect a long enough commitment.

Pythia wrote: »
    Once you have a couple of years experience, you will be highly in demand and you have a reasonable chance of getting to 6 figures in your 30s.

Oh, and roughly how many years does it tend to take to get through the trainee period? I know there's a mandatory three years you have to work under a qualified actuary, but I imagine it takes a bit longer to get through everything.

• Advertisement

evadingnun wrote: »
    Thanks both for getting back to me, sorry for the tardy response.

That does seem very interesting to me, I've done a bit of reading in the past few days.

From what I've seen, at least for trainees, there are a lot of hours, and maybe a bit of travelling. Do the number of hours relent a bit as you go on? I don't mind doing extra work if it's building towards my future. While I don't think they'd be in any way easy, I'm not all that worried about the exams, I've got a good track record with exams. To be fully trained there's 15 exams, right? Again, there's a lot of general info online, but most of it is a few years old.

Finally, what's the best first step to make? Simply search "trainee actuary" on job sites? Who are the big players in Ireland, is there any way to tell which company is better to work for (glassdoor isn't highly populated with Irish workplaces)? I worry about choosing a firm, since, if they're funding exams and membership, they're probably going to expect a long enough commitment.

Hi,

I didn't do more than 40 hours a week while I was doing exams but it really depends on the company and the area you work in. I did do travelling, but most people I know did not travel.

The info is all on www.actuaries.org.uk. It's 100% up-to-date there and very comprehensive - it should be your no 1 reference place. There are 15 exams. There is a forum on acted.co.uk as well which can be useful.

Companies don't require much commitment, people move around as a student all the time. What some do is 'clawback' exam fees paid over the last 12 months but most companies who hire will refund that back. What is more important is to understand the varied areas actuaries work in and decide which is for you. The main three are life, pensions and general insurance. Pensions is dying and I don't recommend so it's mainly a choice between life and GI. You should read up the differences between these areas and understand which would suit you better.

You are right, it makes a minimum of three years. I did it in 3.5 but 5 is probably average and there is no upper limit. The exams generally have between a 30 and mid 50% pass rate each time, with an average of about 40. You can work out for yourself that passing all first time is tough (although we cannot assume independent events here!). The problem is everyone is just as qualified and clever as you are - often it's drive that is the big differentiator in results.

The best next step is to talk to a recruiter. I recommend Jenny at Acumen or Patrick at Oliver James. They will be able to tell you if you are hireable in your current state and could maybe guide you more re different roles. You may need to go and do a year's diploma in UCD in Actuarial Science to make yourself more marketable. However, I think with your data analyst background, you would be a good candidate right now.

Knowledge of SQL will be a big plus and advanced Excel would be great too. VBA, pivot tables and vlookup are some of the key things we would look for. Any other systems will only help too, like R, SAS, Access, etc. I would sell yourself as half a student actuary already so a better gamble than a new grad.

Just to say that I think you will need to read around a bit more and really understand what this role is before you go for it. Employers like to see someone who has done their research and fully knows what they are getting themselves in to. You want to come across as very enthusiastic too.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

^^^^^ Great advice and information here from pythia.

I'm two years into my trainee role so once you've done your research and if you want any further info or help from a trainee's perspective feel free to pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Itchyness

Great advice here, thanks.

Im actually very close to taking the plunge and starting to study in September. Having researched/procrastinated and generally faffed about in trying to decide which direction to pursue, I have settled on actuarial studies. My situation is slightly different though. I am in my late twenties and will be pursuing this as a career change. I will be working in my current job for the medium term ( a job i enjoy by the way, but looking for long term prospects) and will make the change 3/5 years down the line.

Can I ask about the study, the prospect of self study does concern me in terms of not having a peer group to bounce ideas/set standards/kick arse etc. Not a major concern for the CT's but beyond that in order to assimilate the new concepts etc. I would have all my education within 'taught' programmes in traditional universities so the structure isnt there to rely on. Is there a tutorial group/student groups for interacting (How many candidates would there be in Dublin every year for instance?)?

In terms of making the jump into the industry, my age dosent concern me (should it?!) but in terms of employers taking on candidates that may be significantly down the road in terms of having all the CT/CA exams completed but without the experience. Would this be an obstacle? My interest area would be finance/investment side of things as opposed to the others but, in truth I actually dont know that much about the types of roles specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

I used to work in a reinsurance company and they had quite a few IT guys with degrees in mathematics.

Im not a maths guy so i cant say exactly what they did, but i know they designed, coded and tuned risk models that made predictions and forecasts based on many factors such as geological stability, climate, weather stability and a host of other large data sets.

sounds right up your alley, maths, IT and pays quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

If you have the money should look to the actuarial course in UCD - 9 months course and potential can get all CT's - but in reality be looking to get about 5/6 -

Not knowing anything really about your knowledge, but assuming your somewhere smart, the 2 easy CT exams would be CT1 and CT7, while CT5 and CT8 would be considered the harder ones.

Salary for most companies are linked to your exams, so the more you have passed when you join, the more you'll get paid, and considering guys are coming out of college with 8 CT's, you can see how good the UCD course is considering its over 9 months.

http://www.ucd.ie/graduatestudies/coursefinder/taughtprogrammes/gdip-actuarial-science/

• Advertisement

Itchyness wrote: »
    Great advice here, thanks.

Im actually very close to taking the plunge and starting to study in September. Having researched/procrastinated and generally faffed about in trying to decide which direction to pursue, I have settled on actuarial studies. My situation is slightly different though. I am in my late twenties and will be pursuing this as a career change. I will be working in my current job for the medium term ( a job i enjoy by the way, but looking for long term prospects) and will make the change 3/5 years down the line.

Can I ask about the study, the prospect of self study does concern me in terms of not having a peer group to bounce ideas/set standards/kick arse etc. Not a major concern for the CT's but beyond that in order to assimilate the new concepts etc. I would have all my education within 'taught' programmes in traditional universities so the structure isnt there to rely on. Is there a tutorial group/student groups for interacting (How many candidates would there be in Dublin every year for instance?)?

In terms of making the jump into the industry, my age dosent concern me (should it?!) but in terms of employers taking on candidates that may be significantly down the road in terms of having all the CT/CA exams completed but without the experience. Would this be an obstacle? My interest area would be finance/investment side of things as opposed to the others but, in truth I actually dont know that much about the types of roles specifically.

Have a look at the ActEd tutorials. www.acted.co.uk. These were a god send for me, it was great to have a couple of days of classroom based learning for each exam. I loved all the ActEd products, especially the marking which was great for continuous feedback through your study.

There are a lot of people taking exams here. Probably a couple hundred. Have you heard of the SAI? www.actuaries.ie. They have a student committee who organise social events and also events regarding exams, careers etc. You need to join to be able to go but it's definitely a good support network there.

I would recommend my own area - general insurance if you are less interested in finance and investment and more interested in things like maths and stats. It's mainly short term risks so more statistical and less actuarial in the traditional sense of trying to estimate death. General insurance is experiencing the most growth right now actuarially and personally I find the roles within it more interesting. However, even within GI, there are the markedly different areas of pricing and reserving. I would try to research this kind of thing as much as possible and avoid pensions like the plague. There will be no work in that area in 20 years.

Your age won't hinder you but you will need to explain why you didn't make the jump sooner after passing a few exams. You may find CA1 difficult to pass without any actuarial experience and I wouldn't try CA2 or 3 without that either.

Remember that doing exams without working in the area means you are competing for a pass with people whose employers may give them 40 paid days off a year for study plus fund a generous package for study material from ActEd. That's not to say it's impossible but it will be all the more difficult if you do not have that behind you. Having said that, in my opinion passing these exams is very worthwhile and should lead to healthy career prospects plus interesting and challenging work so don't be put off.

So is the choice between life and GI (and pensions I suppose, but this isn't the only place I've been told to avoid that area, so I don't think I'll waste time looking that way) the only big choice I'd need to make before I start training? If, for example, I take a job working in/studying GI and worked directly for an insurance company, would it go against me if I wanted to move to a reinsurance firm or a consultancy or something? More so than not having direct experience I mean, as in would I need to sit other exams, in the same way I would if I made the jump between GI and Life?

I'm going to take the plunge and contact a recruiter this week, wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

evadingnun wrote: »
    So is the choice between life and GI (and pensions I suppose, but this isn't the only place I've been told to avoid that area, so I don't think I'll waste time looking that way) the only big choice I'd need to make before I start training? If, for example, I take a job working in/studying GI and worked directly for an insurance company, would it go against me if I wanted to move to a reinsurance firm or a consultancy or something? More so than not having direct experience I mean, as in would I need to sit other exams, in the same way I would if I made the jump between GI and Life?

I'm going to take the plunge and contact a recruiter this week, wish me luck!

There is also health insurance, which is closely related to GI, but this is quite small in Ireland.

The earlier in your career you make the move between industries the far easier it is as you pick up GI/Life related experience and complete GI/Life exams, but saying that the majority of actuaries skills are highly transferable so a switch of industry is always possible.

As for going working in reinsurance or consultancy, it will still be either GI, Life or pensions based consultancy/RI.

Best of luck with it and I hope it works out!

Advertisement