Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options
  • 17-01-2015 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

D'Arcy on one starts Feb 2 @ 3pm on RTE Radio 1. Topics on the first week include triplets and retro HB ice cream.

//MOD

Any more posts with "funny" "Hi Presenter" posts will enjoy a very extended forum break beyond the mandatory 1 day in the forum charter.

//MOD

Moderator:

Sorry for the long post. Rather than subject everyone to a wall of emboldened text, I am leaving the main part plain but you must take it that this entire post constitutes a moderator decision. Therefore, further discussion of this must be done in the appropriate forums elsewhere - I'd imagine Feedback in this case.

In any event, I have read the thread and I can see the issues. However, I do not think there is much to be done from a moderator perspective at this stage.

This forum is dedicated to discussion of all aspects of radio. Rather than turning it into a niche forum where only technical aspects to radio broadcasting can be discussed, there are many facets to what can be discussed, including technical, presentation, musical knowledge, show content etc. The list goes on. That's not changing today.

In this thread, Ray D'Arcy's much-publicised move from one national radio station to the national, state (i.e.tax-payer)-funded broadcaster. Then there are the additional controversies surrounding the circumstances of the move. Of course that's going to be discussed. It's relevant to the show, its production and most importantly the listenership. It's also within the confines of the charter.

On top of that, we have discussion of the other aspects of the show such as the presenter, show participants and all of the other attendant parts of the show. That's also perfectly in line with the charter.

None of the above discussion goes against the charter.

Something else has happened here, though that's important to note. RD will have brought over fans to RTE, in line with their plans, and there will be those who already listen to RTE1 by choice or otherwise. So, new listeners and old are now tuned into the show and both want to discuss that here. Again, fine.

The problem is that we now have factions - fans and, well, not fans. The freedom allowed by this medium means that debate between these factions is going to be robust. That's what these forums are about. Because the show is still new, that might settle over time. I'm not quite on a par with those saying it's a train-wreck, though posts have been deleted so that might have solved some of that issue.

Obviously, the charter rules restrain the usual things. The charter applies to this thread as much as any other but a number of issues have thus far arisen and I will highlight these below.

There will be zero tolerance in relation to the following:
    1. As per Nody's earlier warning, no one is to suggest that another poster is in any way associated with Ray D'Arcy or the show - this will be a one month ban for first offence, and more severe bans subsequently (there aren't many more before it's permanent);

2. Personal abuse - fairly obvious, don't do it. Don't abuse the presenters, don't abuse each other.

3. No more "if you don't like x, then y". No more. People have to listen to the radio in work, people are entitled to listen to something they don't like. People are entitled to discuss that here. People are entitled to criticise, especially public personas, once this doesn't transcend into abuse.

4. Be civil.

I will note that this may change if a particular type of post becomes repetitive and does not add to the discussion. We're not at the stage of Liveline bingo in this thread and hopefully, D'Arcy won't reach the level where you know what he's going to say before he says it.

Right, that's all I have to say about it apart from that I again apologise that the thread was locked for so long, for little reason, it must be said.

Cheers,
    hullaballoo.

PS Copied to first post.

</b>

29/04/15 addition

//MOD

Enough talk about "changing the station if you don't like it" or "I have the right to complain because I pay taxes" style of arguments please. This is suppose to be a discussion about what's being presented; how it's being presented etc. so please narrow down the discussion somewhat accordingly or we'll have to start handing out cards etc.

//MOD
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

So kids and sugar?

The more things change....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

and running

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Mr and Mrs D'arcy reuinted on the air. Moncrief could be talking about a horses toilet habits and it will be more interesting.

see wills on twitter looking for adult triplets. same aul same just on a different station

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I'm looking forward to some more " ummm tap tap no.. Tap tap , sorry wrong . Tap .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

xMallx wrote: »
    D'Arcy on one starts Feb 2 @ 3pm on RTE Radio 1. Topics on the first week include triplets and retro HB ice cream.

1st guest: Joooooe Duffeeeh

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm looking forward to some more " ummm tap tap no.. Tap tap , sorry wrong . Tap .

Much more likely that he'll use a producer-driven studio and won't even be able to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I still cant understand RTE's reasoning for paying so much for D'Arcy... RTE have a lot of second tier presenters who could do that job more than adequately.. And I thought when Mooney left it would have been a good change to REDUCE the payroll for that particular radio show, not double it....

The only way that it would have made any sense would have been to move him straight in place of Tubridy and most of his listeners would have followed him straight across to 2FM. But this just makes no sense at all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

it may be a new thread but the rules are exactly the same. Yosser Hughes banned for 1 month for obvious name calling

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

?....... And I thought when Mooney left it would have been a good change to REDUCE the payroll for that particular radio show, not double it......

Honestly, that's what you were thinking when Mooney announced the news. Here's a chance for RTE to reduce its payroll now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

sligojoek wrote: »
    1st guest: Joooooe Duffeeeh

And his first question, even before he presses the wrong button, "Joe, you keep saying , My God My God,.....Just who is your God?, it has to stop!"..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1

wait now, hang on....., let me try that again.

Will, why doesn't that work? Will we go to a break?

In fairness, Ronan Collins has finger trouble all the time...

wait now, that was track 2, wasn't it? No? Well we'll play it anyway....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It'll be interesting to listen in. I always thought that some of D'Arcy's best shows in the last few years were when Jenny was in. I liked the way they interacted with each other on air, so it'll be nice to hear them together again.

The topics mentioned above don't do much for me, but I'll give it a go, see if Ray's actually going to make an effort now or just copy and paste the Today FM show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

xMallx wrote: »

"Dear Ray and gang, I'm a 48 year old former serial killer and I'm sitting here in my kitchen with tears rolling down my face listening to these stories about ice cream from days gone by......"

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Will his Da be on telling us all how to make pancakes?? These are the important questions that need answers!!!

And would that make Darcy senior an RTE contractor then??

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PureDaycent

I still cant understand RTE's reasoning for paying so much for D'Arcy... RTE have a lot of second tier presenters who could do that job more than adequately.. And I thought when Mooney left it would have been a good change to REDUCE the payroll for that particular radio show, not double it....

The only way that it would have made any sense would have been to move him straight in place of Tubridy and most of his listeners would have followed him straight across to 2FM. But this just makes no sense at all..

It's called strategy.

Bring over a presenter who has 235k listening, has strong national identity, has tv presenter skills (loose term) and while your at it knock a huge chunk out of your biggest competitors schedule and revenue benefiting your national output (2fm)

That's my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Red Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭NTC

Red Fred wrote: »

Makes sense, Ray has been talking about his Golf for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Heard a promo for the show on radio 1 featuring "clips" of Ray. Needless to say, running got a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

furiousox wrote: »
    "Dear Ray and gang, I'm a 48 year old former serial killer and I'm sitting here in my kitchen with tears rolling down my face listening to these stories about ice cream from days gone by......"

Im weak laughing here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Since the big transfer was announced I have heard ads for Fair City on Today FM which I had never heard before.

Was this some sort of the trade-off for D'Arcy's transfer I wonder? D'Arcy moves and RTE have to pay Today FM to advertise their worst TV programmes?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will they be playing music on the show? Can't see the same mix of music working on Radio 1 it's more 2FM. If there's no music I can't see them having enough content to fill the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Will they be playing music on the show? Can't see the same mix of music working on Radio 1 it's more 2FM. If there's no music I can't see them having enough content to fill the show.
    Crystal Swing, Shane Filan, Mary Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Looks like the break has given Rays creative side a boost...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭xMallx

What i don't understand is why all the fuss about D'Arcy being put on a slot/radio station that didn't even have a ratings problem ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

That ad is dreadful.

That said, I will be tuning in next week.

Poor Rays taking a pay cut. Bet today fm felt bitter when they realised theyd overpaid for the same repetitive muck every day

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/move-back-to-rte-resulted-in-pay-cut-claims-ray-darcy-30939898.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

neris wrote: »
    Poor Rays taking a pay cut. Bet today fm felt bitter when they realised theyd overpaid for the same repetitive muck every day

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/move-back-to-rte-resulted-in-pay-cut-claims-ray-darcy-30939898.html

If you take into account the voluntary redundancy package Janny Kally would have gotten when she left Today FM and fact she is now employed again by RTE, the D'Arcy household wage will be well up you can be guaranteed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Oh God that ad is awful. And same old same old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement