Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2015, 17:31   #1
zico10

I Am the Master of My Fate

I don't think there's any need for a lengthy preamble to this blog. Anybody who has followed my blogs or posts here on boards, should already know about my ambition to race in Kona. So there's no point beating around the bush, this blog will end after I've raced in the World Championships on The Big Island. All going well that will be October 2016.

The only intermediate goal I have is to qualify. I've entered Ironman Mallorca on September 26th, and it's here I'm planning to secure my spot. People reading this might think I'm being a bit presumptuous in using the word 'planning', but I raced Mallorca last year and only for a huge cock up, I would have finished in approximately 9 hours 15 minutes. This would have been good enough for a Kona slot in the age group I'll be racing this year, and I expect to go faster this time round. I'm not going to Mallorca to make up the numbers, and as far as I'm concerned I've already proven I'm good enough. So whether it's incredibly arrogant of me or not, I am going to Mallorca planning to qualify.

Obviously I'd like to do well in any race I enter, and I'll inform you of them when they come up, but ultimately there are only going to be two races that really matter throughout this blog;
Ironman Mallorca 2015 and all going to plan Ironman Hawaii 2016.
Advertisement
11-01-2015, 18:58   #2
Dory Dory

There is no doubt in my mind you can qualify. Just make sure you pay attention to the details in the periphery. Best of luck Zico....you have a gallery of fans cheering and willing you on.
Thanks from:
11-01-2015, 20:03   #3

Great title, I'm really looking forward to following your progress. There's a lot people here at all levels can learn from your attitude. Good hunting.
Thanks from:
11-01-2015, 22:00   #4
RacoonQueen

There are many people who don't have the balls to set more ambitious goals...or to even put out what their real goal is.
(2) thanks from:
11-01-2015, 22:04   #5
68 lost souls

Best of luck, I will certainly be attention to Mallorca this year.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-01-2015, 07:32   #6
zico10

Before posting any of my training, I'll just outline my approach to it. I firmly believe more is more, and I think doing big volumes is the best way for me to get ready for races. After IM Mallorca last year, I went to a bar with Fazz and Trinewbie. Predictably enough conversation turned to triathlon and out of the three of us, I discovered that I had put in the longest training hours that year. Later that night, we were joined by a German who finished second in our age group. We also asked him how many hours a week would he usually train for. He was the first person I had met who spent longer training than I did and it immediately became clear to me what I needed to do for my next Ironman. So here I am and my plan is to train even more than I did last year.

This is not something I have rushed into though. A good few years ago I read a race report by Brian Jenkins after he had finished second in Joey Hannon. In his report he commented on how he had increased his training to 30 hours a week. At the time, I wasn't doing much more than 10 and I thought 30 hours was a number I'd never be capable of. But year upon year, without having it as a target, I built up to it and during my peak training last year managed to put in two consecutive weeks of over 30 hours.

This time around I want to have put in a lot more 30 hour weeks by the time September rolls around, than I did last year. I'll try to hit the 30 hour mark often during my base build as well, which is all I'll be doing for the next while. I've entered HOTW and I'd like to give a decent account of myself there. I'll tailor my training for that closer to the race, but for the next few months my plan is to get my body used once more to long swims, runs and bike rides.

When posting my training, I'll stick with the weekly blocks I've posted before. I like to have all the training in just one place. It's much easier for me to look back on and review when I keep it like this. From now until September and hopefully longer is a long time to commit to this, but hopefully I'll keep the blog updated on a weekly basis. Not sure how detailed each update will be, but I'll try post the salient points of each session at the very least.
(3) thanks from:
12-01-2015, 09:32   #7
RJM85

Looking forward to keeping an eye on this. 30 hours a week is incomprehensible to me, but its hard to argue against the fact that you get out what you put in, so long as your body is able to absorb the training.
12-01-2015, 10:17   #8
zico10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM85 View Post
Looking forward to keeping an eye on this. 30 hours a week is incomprehensible to me, but its hard to argue against the fact that you get out what you put in, so long as your body is able to absorb the training.
It used to be to me too. Of course it depends on other factors, but the more hours you train and the closer you get to it, the more manageable it seems.
12-01-2015, 10:26   #9
tunney

Drive the whole course beforehand please!!!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-01-2015, 10:33   #10
joey100

how you think the body will hold up to all the training Zico? From your last log you don't seem to get injured and must look after yourself well. Best of luck with the training, and I'm another who will be following the race.
Thanks from:
12-01-2015, 10:46   #11
RJM85

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico10 View Post
It used to be to me too. Of course it depends on other factors, but the more hours you train and the closer you get to it, the more manageable it seems.
Part of what makes it incomprehensible to me is the 'other factors' 15hrs is a big week for me. It's hard to see where another 15 would come from without a change in job / removing the need to sleep / putting the child up for adoption!
12-01-2015, 13:25   #12
Dory Dory

I assume no specific IM coach this time again? As a teacher, I assume you have the summer off, so getting in 30 hours/week should not be too much of an issue, really. If I am correct in my thinking, then brilliant for you! I'd love to be able to turn my full attention to training to test the potential.
12-01-2015, 15:19   #13
zico10

Week 1

Monday 5th January
a.m.
Bike
1 hour easy turbo – 25km
Totals; 1hr – 25km

p.m.
S. &. C.
45 minutes weights – lower body

Run
Treadmill
8km at 12km/hr
Totals; 0.5hrs – 8km

Swim
Coached session, 25m pool
350m warm up
Main set;
7 sets of 4*50m descending (1.55 → 1.45 approx.)
The coached had initially told us we’d be doing 10 sets straight, but gave us a break after 7. We were told to take a slightly different approach to the final 3 sets; the first 50 easy, the second 50 to focus on kick, third 50 as 25m fast and 25m easy, then the fourth 50 fast. At least that’s what I think we were told and it’s the approach I took. Apologies to Interested if I took you up wrongly.
3 sets of 4*50m as described above (Once again I was coming in on approximately 1.45 for the final fast 100)
50m easy
I was consistently hitting the times, but it was hard work on the fourth and final 100 in all the sets. The effort affected me throughout the hour, and even though it was always followed by an easy 100, I never felt like I had fully recovered by the time the next fast 100 came around.
Totals; 1 hr - 2,400m

Tuesday 6th January
a.m.
Swim
50m pool
600 pull, 100 fs, 100 fs @ 80%
12*200 off 3.45 At the start I was getting 15 seconds rest, which was starting to fall to less than 10 by the end. I had planned on doing 16*100, but I was tiring and took a break after 12.
100 easy
1*200 on 3.40
I was going to do 4*100, but I messed up my timing at the end of the first one. I missed when I was supposed to have pushed off for the second 100, I still didn’t feel invigorated after the rest, and gave up. I stuck a pull buoy between my legs and switched it to a pull set instead.
4*200 pull off 3.45
400 cool down
Totals; 1.5hrs - 3,900m

p.m.
Run
29.53km in 2.17.55
Totals; 2.5hrs – 29.53km
For the moment I’m going to keep the pace for my long runs between 2.24/km and 4.48/km. This is the range I used from Connemara last year, but I felt so slow tonight, I didn’t have to worry about going too fast. After a slow first kilometre, my pace progressively dropped until I reached 20km. After that it started to creep up again. After the weights session I did yesterday, my legs and glutes especially felt sore during.
The 29km was more of an effort than it usually is, but it’s not something that concerns me.
Totals; 2.5hrs – 29.53km

Wednesday 7th January
a.m.
Swim
50m pool
10*400 alternating f/s and pull
Totals; 1.5hrs – 4,000m
Before Christmas I’d always include some fast stuff in this Wednesday morning swim, but legs were stiff, so I opted for an endurance session instead. I completely ignored the clock, swam at a comfortable pace, and just took whatever rest I deemed necessary after each 400.

p.m.
S. &. C.
45 minutes weights; upper body

Cycle
Turbo
20.00 warm up, 10.00 hard - 77rpm, 5.00 recovery, 8.00 hard – 76rpm, 4.00 recovery, 6.00 hard - 77rpm, 3.00 recovery, (dropped a gear)4.00 hard - 77rpm, 2.00 recovery, (dropped another gear)2.00 hard - 77rpm, 16.00 cool down
Totals; 1.5hrs – 40km

Thursday 8th January
a.m.
Swim
Coached session - 25m pool
I signed up for another swim block with Peter Kern, so this like all my Thursday morning swims from here on out will be under his tutelage. The total distance seems a bit short for a 90 minute session, but the session was emailed to me by one of the swimmers who spends his rests scribbling down details of what we’ve just done, so I’m sure the distance and the details of the session are accurate.
400m warm up
100m FS UW
4 x 50m water polo drill
4 x 50m 3rd phase drill
200m easy
4 x 50m kick
200m (as 25 fast & 25 easy)
8 x 50m (as 25 sprint & 25 easy with 10 seconds reast)
400m Pad & PB;
6 x 50m (as 25 v fast & 25 easy)
250m Pad & PB
50m easy
Totals; 1.5hrs – 2,900m

p.m.
Run;
Warm up - no watch, no GPS - 5km approx
1.00 fast, (3.14/km) , 0.30 recovery
2.00 fast, (3.35/km) , 1.00 recovery
3.00 fast, (3.39/km) , 1.30 recovery
4.00 fast, (3.29/km) , 2.00 recovery
4.00 fast, (3.40/km) , 2.00 recovery
3.00 fast, (3.36/km) , 1.30 recovery
2.00 fast, (3.22/km) , 1.00 recovery
1.00 fast, (3.20/km) , 0.30 recovery
Cool down; no watch no GPS - 3km approx
Totals; 1.0hrs – 15.49km
Some of these were into strong gusts of wind, others wind assisted, which would go some way to explain the huge variations in average paces. None of them were complete eyeballs out efforts and overall were some way off my top end speed, which I don’t think I’m ready for just yet. It was a speed/Zone 5 session, which will all follow a similar approach until I feel I have the endurance back that proper intervals will require.

Friday 9th January
a.m.
Nada

p.m.
Cycle
1 hour easy turbo
Totals; 1.0hrs – 25km

Swim
Coached session, 25m pool
4*100 off 2.00 50s descending (at least I think this is what Interested told us to do, apologies if I took you up wrongly)
6*200 off 3.40 (in on 3.15 – 3.20)
50 easy
20*50 descending off 60 seconds (55, 50, 45, 40)
100 cool down
Totals; 1.0hrs – 2,500m
The times I was holding tonight were slightly faster than I’d normally swim, but I had the benefit of a draft which aided considerably and made it an easier hour than it might otherwise have been. I felt like I hadn’t earned the Muller Light yoghurt I took along for refuelling afterwards, but not enough to stop me eating it.

Saturday 10th January
a.m.
Swim
Endurance session - 50m pool
200m – 3.41
400m – 7.29
600m – 11.14
800m – 14.55
800m – 14.43
600m – 11.14
400m – 7.36
200m – 1.52
100m pull
Totals; 1.5hrs – 4,100m
I had a metronome for this set to beep at a rate of 63 per minute, which is 2/3 strokes above what’s a comfortable stroke rate for me at the moment. I’m trying to increase my stroke rate at the moment and I find the metronome useful. I can’t be sure I was sticking to 63spm all the time, but it keeps me focussed and ensures if my concentration ever drifts, it doesn’t last for too long. It was about 8.40 when I got into the water for this and was glad to get it done before the daily changeover from 50m to 25m format at 10 a.m. Times might not be all that impressive, but I was slow to get out of bed for this session and it felt like a productive morning.

p.m.
Cycle
3 hours on the turbo moderate effort, rpm falling, losing power
Totals; 3.0hrs – 82.5km

Run
Recovery; 9km w. 10*80m strides
Totals; 1.0hrs - 9.0km

Sunday 11th January
a.m.
Cycle
I went out on a club spin, group of 8/9. I was getting tired towards the end of the spin and it sometimes took more effort than it should have done to stay with the group. I had a Garmin on, but I let it run from the moment the cycle began until I reached my front door. With stopping at lights, a level crossing, slow moving traffic etc. any stats from it, apart from overall distance, would be meaningless, so I won’t post them here.
Totals; 3.5 hrs – 100.75km

p.m.
Run
Tempo Run;
Warm up - 6.46km in 33.42, 5.13/km
Tempo pace - 5.19km in 19.24, 3.44/km
Recovery - 2.63km in 14.29, 5.30/km
Tempo pace - 5.23km in 19.36, 3.44/km
Cool down - 3.58km in 19.56, 5.34/km
Totals; 2.0hrs - 23.09km
The warm up for this was a run from my apartment to The Phoenix Park and a lap of the Playing Fields. My plan was to run two laps of the Playing Fields at tempo pace, one lap as recovery, then two more at tempo pace. I thought after the cycle earlier in the day, I wouldn’t be running very fast. I did the exact same run last week and averaged 3.54 and 3.49 for the two tempo paced efforts. Neither was a target pace today though and I started running off feel. About half way through the first lap I saw my watch showing an average pace of 3.45/km, which I was happy with. I slightly increased the effort to get and keep the pace under 3.45/km, after seeing this. I finished off the first two laps with an average pace of 3.44/km and eased up quite a bit on my recovery lap. I’d been looking at my watch a lot during my first tempo paced run and resolved not to look at it once during the second run. I resisted the temptation and when I finally finished the second two laps, I was happy to see I’d matched the pace of the first effort. The self-talk throughout though was more along the lines of ‘Hurry up, you’re going too slow.’ than ‘You’re doing fine, just keep this up.’
Last year for my training for the Connemarathon, I set my tempo pace at <3.45/km and I found it a tough pace to hold in the initial phase of my training. The distances were longer than 5km and I still found it tough tonight, but regardless of that I was happy to be able to hold this pace again. It was blustery and after the 100km cycle earlier in the day, I’m sure it wasn’t the ideal scenario to be trying to run fast. I managed it though, and in a perverse sort of way enjoyed it.

Totals;
Swim; 8.0hrs – 20,200m
Bike; 10.0hrs – 274.25km
Run; 7.0hrs – 77.11km
S & C; 1.5hrs

I’m happy with how this week went. I’d no specific targets in mind, other than getting back into a proper routine of training. I only returned to work after Christmas on Monday and this was the best possible time to get a routine going. I achieved this much, and while the sessions might vary over the coming months, it’s a routine I hope to stick too.

Last edited by zico10; 12-01-2015 at 15:25.
(4) thanks from:
12-01-2015, 15:29   #14
RacoonQueen

I have a feeling this log is going to make the rest of us feel like total wussy, excuse making feckers....

Was on path round the playing fields yesterday, do not know how you ran in that!
(3) thanks from:
12-01-2015, 19:00   #15
zico10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey100 View Post
how you think the body will hold up to all the training Zico? From your last log you don't seem to get injured and must look after yourself well. Best of luck with the training, and I'm another who will be following the race.
I honestly expect I'll be able to handle it. I'd estimate I ran 500km in each of the five months from November 2013 to March last year. Doing that put me at far greater risk of injury than anything I'll be doing over the next while. I cycled pretty much all day for two weeks straight in France practically straight after finishing my marathon training, with absolutely no problems. Once your bike is set up correctly and barring crashes I think there is very little injury risk here. Swimming is what I'd actually be most concerned about right now, I've had some muscle soreness since ramping up the volume only a few months ago, but no joint pain. If I had I'd be alarmed, but muscle soreness is to be expected, happens as well if I neglect strength training for a few weeks, as I am wont to do. That's one thing I plan to be more consistent with this year.

I don't honestly think I do look after myself very well. I went to a physio last December for the first time in my life, after being told at a bike fitting I did in August that I needed to go. The four month time lapse should give a clue as to the level of urgency I attached to the recommendation. The physio certainly did help and I plan to go back. Tight ball and socket joint in my hip was the prognosis, but it was never sore and didn't impact on my training.
Over the years, I've slowly built up to the training hours you see me log now and I have avoided general wear and tear injuries over the last few years, but I am not invincible sadly. I gave myself a hernia sometime last year. But like my ball and socket joint, it's not in anyway painful, poses no danger, and it doesn't bother me at all. I could have surgery to get it fixed, but don't see the point in cutting myself open for it.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion