Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much do Tesco delivery drivers get paid

Options
  • 27-11-2014 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

I just sent them on my Cv but don't see much info on what kind of Salary they pay. I have read on a 2006 thread that average take home pay is €600pw which isn't bad.
    Wonder has the pay rate stayed the same?
    Thanks for any info Regards Sixpack

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I seriously doubt people are netting 600 a week after tax- thats the equivalent of grossing 42k before tax (here's the PWC tax calculator- plug in 42k and see for yourself)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

I dont think the drivers will get paid anymore than the regular Tesco Staff. Anyone on decent money in Tesco now will have been there 18 years+. New staff will have different contracts with increments after 18 and 36 months

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnDx

Wage is'nt that great....
    For deliveries to stores and customers €11.50/hr working for agency,
    €9.50/hr working direct for Tesco., and after 40 hours work, your paid 12/hr. Sat and Sun you get gratuity payment up to €30/day. Maybe tax free so I've heard, but don't build up your hopes.
    You will need a C1 licence for home/customer deliveries
    For store deliveries you will need C and or EC licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

I have the Hgv licence. Home delivery drivers have to be getting more than €11.50 that's definitely not right, That must be the basic then productivity bonuses on top of that maybe!

I've done courier work few years back and some weeks I could make 900 but ud be putting in a lot of hours driving for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Home delivery drivers have to be getting more than €11.50 that's definitely not right

Can I ask you about the above/am curious, why do they have to be getting more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

A friend works for them in Portlaoise and is getting €10 per hour. Why do you think they have to be getting more than €11.50 per hour. It is not the same as being a courier, they dont use there own transport or insurance thats all paid for by tesco. Anyone who doesnt have a job and has a C licence I think its a good wage.

€10ph is okay if your single & don't have much living expenses
    .Rate should be €14 - €15ph giving the level of responsibility you have

No wonder their profits are up in the Billions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Ah, what responsibility is there? You are just bring groceries to a door and putting the plastic trays into the van. There is no handling of cash.Its simply delivering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

i'm a recently departed Tesco driver,the money is very very good to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

hfallada wrote: »
    Ah, what responsibility is there? You are just bring groceries to a door and putting the plastic trays into the van. There is no handling of cash.Its simply delivering.

In fairness there is a bit more to it than that. You're working on a tight schedule,going into people's homes dropping messages on their table, chatting to then, being personable, representing the business, you have to be very trustworthy and have good interpersonal skills.My mum gets them every week and I have to say the guys are always really nice, always have a chat, help her taking stuff out of the trays. Their friendliness and helpfulness has done more to endear her to tesco than any offer or money back vouchers etc. I think when you're going into people's homes you have more responsibility than when you're writing full-time packing a truck or working in store. I'd have thought the salary would be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

I just sent them on my Cv but don't see much info on what kind of Salary they pay. I have read on a 2006 thread that average take home pay is €600pw which isn't bad.
    Wonder has the pay rate stayed the same?
    Thanks for any info Regards Sixpack
    not a ****ing hope.....do really think a van driver is going to get that kind of money :pac:. you would be extremely lucky to get half it after deductions :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tesco loose between 14 and 22 Euro per delivery- the charges they make bear little semblence to the cost of providing the service. Also- far from them making billions- their profits are plummeting- and they have made a loss in Ireland in each of the past 2 quarters (which they are blaming on excessive use of couponing by customers).

Tesco are in fact in severe financial difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Armistice

In fairness there is a bit more to it than that. You're working on a tight schedule,going into people's homes dropping messages on their table, chatting to then, being personable, representing the business, you have to be very trustworthy and have good interpersonal skills.My mum gets them every week and I have to say the guys are always really nice, always have a chat, help her taking stuff out of the trays. Their friendliness and helpfulness has done more to endear her to tesco than any offer or money back vouchers etc. I think when you're going into people's homes you have more responsibility than when you're writing full-time packing a truck or working in store. I'd have thought the salary would be better.

It's not exactly a 4 year degree + experience type job is it. Don't see why it should be payed like one. You are essentially, carrying plastic trays a few meters from a van and back, and then driving a van.

No offence meant but if Tesco drivers can get 600-900 per week as some suggest then thats very strange. There are many professional engineers, scientists and Accountants on less.

€13.60 for newbies, €17 for the established lads,that's the hourly rate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭bigroad

Its all very mad Ted they pay their van drivers 13.60 and the artic drivers get 11.50 .,

bigroad wrote: »
    Its all very mad Ted they pay their van drivers 13.60 and the artic drivers get 11.50 .,

Yep I found that mad as well that the van drivers were on that money yet eddie stobart drivers are on €2 an hour less for a much bigger vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

read somewhere some arctic drivers drivers on about 9 per hour

dave1982 wrote: »
    read somewhere some arctic drivers drivers on about 9 per hour

Fas advertised some at €8.65 a while back

Slave labour exploitation. Race to the bottom comes to mind. This is why employees of these Big International companies need to be in a Union & getting a fair wage Health insurance Holiday pay etc.
    The cost of everything in this country youd need to be taking home €500pw to have any standard of living

Slave labour exploitation. Race to the bottom comes to mind. This is why employees of these Big International companies need to be in a Union & getting a fair wage Health insurance Holiday pay etc.
    The cost of everything in this country youd need to be taking home €500pw to have any standard of living
    Tesco are part of the mandate trade union in Ireland that may explain it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

The market is flooded with drivers, construction workers and indeed all types of employees from all sectors. Unfortunately this means companies can pay what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

SIX PACK wrote:
    €10ph is okay if your single & don't have much living expenses .Rate should be €14 - €15ph giving the level of responsibility you have

What responsibility? Should fast food delivery driver be on 15 ph too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Tesco loose between 14 and 22 Euro per delivery- the charges they make bear little semblence to the cost of providing the service. Also- far from them making billions- their profits are plummeting- and they have made a loss in Ireland in each of the past 2 quarters (which they are blaming on excessive use of couponing by customers).

Tesco are in fact in severe financial difficulty.

And is that before or after their little recent financial irregularities?.....

Puibo wrote: »
    What responsibility? Should fast food delivery driver be on 15 ph too?

Fast food delivery is part time job and usually a bit of extra cash on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Fast food delivery is part time job and usually a bit of extra cash on the side.

Any idea what kind of money fast food delivery drivers are on? I normally tip, but if they're making €13 an hour, then Fvck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Armistice wrote: »

No offence meant but if Tesco drivers can get 600-900 per week as some suggest then thats very strange. There are many professional engineers, scientists and Accountants on less.

So what if an accountant makes less though? The market decides the value of a service, it's not always ascribed through a hierarchy of educational attainment.

Someone said they could theoretically earn 900 working an awful lot of extra hours.
    11.50 agency/9.50 directly employed an hour was the sum quoted initially, you'd be going along time before you'd hit 900,particularly given that you are lugging big crates around a lot of the time. One guy told me during the summer that he brings 15 5L bottles once a week to a family living on the 5th floor of an apartment block where the lift has never worked. You wouldn't be able to put in a whole lot more than 40 hours in the week I'd imagine.

Anyway if Tesco ARE paying decent money they must be finding it worth their while. From what I've met they carefully select who they employ and paying extra for decent staff is worth it. You have one rough looking/ rough seeming guy coming into your home chances are you won't bother ordering again.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Newstreet

KC161 wrote: »
    i'm a recently departed Tesco driver,the money is very very good to be fair

Do they recruit regularly for that work? I'd imagine there are few enough positions. Do you mind my asking why did you leave it? What kind of hours or shifts were there?

Newstreet wrote: »
    Do they recruit regularly for that work? I'd imagine there are few enough positions. Do you mind my asking why did you leave it? What kind of hours or shifts were there?

I was there almost 3 years,the only vacancy that arose in that time was the one caused by my departure, I had no option but to leave on health grounds those jobs are like gold!!! The hours varied, could be a ten hour day shift or an evening 4 hour shift a weekly roster is a combination of both,

More vacancies on jobs.ie today they might be hiring in New year. Pity they don't check cvs that are already sent in.

• Advertisement

More vacancies on jobs.ie today they might be hiring in New year. Pity they don't check cvs that are already sent in.

They favour in store applications and family of current staff first, that's how i got in

Advertisement