Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 NewYork (merged)

Options
  • 09-02-2009 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Hey I just wanted to know how people who have done or are doing a j1 found their accomodation.

Me and a few friends are going to long beach, long island NY for the summer and are finding it difficult to get accomodation.

Is it possible to actually get a place without even meeting the landlord in person ? How did everyone else do it ?

Alot of people i talk to seem to have a friend of a friend who used to live in a certain place and all that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Hi...did you manage to find work there? If so, could you give me some idea where you looked or any idea where I could find work there. Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

craigslist.com is very good. It will be hard to find short term accomadation but its possible

• Registered Users Posts: 6 D_Ben

Hey,
    Myself and 3 others are planing on going to New York this summer on a J1. Just putting it out there nice and early, hopefully make a few contacts. Willing to cram an apartment to keep costs low and all that of course.

Any advice is welcomed and appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mariabriody

Hey me and my friend planning on going to New York too...might be a few others coming aswell, thinking of going maybe the first week of June and would definitely be up for sharing an apartment to keep costs down...where are you thinking to live in new york ? :)
    D_Ben wrote: »
    Hey,
    Myself and 3 others are planing on going to New York this summer on a J1. Just putting it out there nice and early, hopefully make a few contacts. Willing to cram an apartment to keep costs low and all that of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Think I'm going too, sure quite a few haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 D_Ben

Hey Maria,
    Good stuff!. Yeah we're thinking some time around that time too, our exams usually finish up the last week in May. On where to live, not really fussy on where exactly once its reasonably close to wherever we can get work.. Would yee have any preference?.. Have yee any jobs lined or any plans for employment? We have nothing as of yet, we'll get looking into it soon though..
    Hey me and my friend planning on going to New York too...might be a few others coming aswell, thinking of going maybe the first week of June and would definitely be up for sharing an apartment to keep costs down...where are you thinking to live in new york ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mariabriody

Yeah think we finish placement around the end of may! No we just wana be close enough to the city but not paying mad prices. .. maybe somewhere like queens or long island :) no we haven't any jobs or anything sorted yet, I think we're just gona go over and find a job ourselves hopefully in the city. Have you anything organised yet?

Hey Maria,
    Good stuff!. Yeah we're thinking some time around that time too, our exams usually finish up the last week in May. On where to live, not really fussy on where exactly once its reasonably close to wherever we can get work.. Would yee have any preference?.. Have yee any jobs lined or any plans for employment? We have nothing as of yet, we'll get looking into it soon though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rachelrachel95

Hey guys I'm just after reading your posts. Planning to go to New York first week of June myself. I've never done a j1 before and i'm really trying to keep the costs down.

Any ideas of the best places to stay, any advice etc?

If anyone wants to house share too , that would be amazing. booking my j1 now just want to make sure accommodation will sort itself out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 eveyspill

Planning on going on a J1 to NY next summer. We're not sure what part exactly yet! Has anyone been on a J1 to NY before? Is it hard to find jobs, accomm etc? Where is the best place to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lauramorrin

Hey, really want to go NY next summer, be travelling by myself most my friends aren't bothered or too strapped for cash! Anyone looking for someone share house with id defiantly be up for it :)

• Advertisement

Hey, really want to go NY next summer, be travelling by myself most my friends aren't bothered or too strapped for cash! Anyone looking for someone share house with id defiantly be up for it :)

What part are you planning on going to? 3 of us planning on staying in Queens :)

I'm not fussy which part I go tbh :P went to New York 2 years ago would love go back for longer! When abouts are you thinking of going over?:)

I'm not fussy which part I go tbh :P went to New York 2 years ago would love go back for longer! When abouts are you thinking of going over?:)

We have our flights booked for the 1st of June! :) did you like it there?

Ye that's when I was thinking too, exams over and done with and everything! Yeah amazing city had the best time couldn't get over how friendly the people were aswell! Do you have jobs and accommodation sorted already? :)

Ye that's when I was thinking too, exams over and done with and everything! Yeah amazing city had the best time couldn't get over how friendly the people were aswell! Do you have jobs and accommodation sorted already? :)

No neither! Think I'll look around Jan of Feb! :) Hope it's not too hard to find a job!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pizzaslut0

I'm looming to head to New York this summer too! I'm only 19 tho would ye think this is a big problem ?
    Thank 🎅

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Steffieboo

Well lads, myself and a friend are looking into a j1 over there too. Only starting to properly look into it now! Would love to team up with others to get a house! <snip>! Can't write that properly because I'm a new user or something! Send a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vivien93

Doing the J1 in NY this summer and feeling lost organising it so far. So I have the visa.. But so far jobs and accomadation is proving difficult. I understand finding a job will need to be done closer to the time. But accomadation.. Crazy expensive! Can anyone who has done the j1 in NY or somewhere similar please offer me some tips. All advice greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Going this summer too, rooms are crazy money!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vivien93

Is anyone looking to go in on an apartment? Its just me and my friend, the more people the cheaper I think!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭swatki

Can someone please please give me advice on the IIIC boston- i have paid my deposit with them but now i am having second thoughts and im thinking of opting for the dreaded but familiar USIT instead as i have heard they are less strict with your job that you find - My worrys stem from the fact that realistically it will be hard to find a full time paid job in my field "art" cvan anybody tell me how strict they are with the mininum 32 hours etc and if it is a safer option to go with usit becuase they give less hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 30 EIMxxxEAR

Hi my friends and I are thinking of going to long beach ny for the summer. Has anyone ever been? Is there a good nightlife ect? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 d2014

Hey!

Myself and one or two friends are planning on heading there too, it seems to be fairly hard to sort anything out or get much info on places there at the moment!

How's your research going, did you find anything? It seems that the beach clubs on long island are the main places of employment but we dont wanna work like slaves either...need to sunbath and drink! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MeganOMahony

Hi

I just got offered a 4 month summer job at the Atlantic Beach Club in New York, I have never gone on a J1 before and I am just wondering whats the best and cheapest J1 company to book off?

Any information would be great,
    Thank you in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PatrickoTheman

Got anymore places left? I'm traveling alone and also heading to new york! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CaoimheB95

Hi,

Myself and 1-2 friends are hoping to go to Long Beach for the Summer. Hows the accommodation and job searching going?

We need friends too :)

Thanks

xx

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CaoimheB95

Hi myself and two friends are heading to Long Beach in June. Looking into accommodation at the moment. Anybody have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Synnatra

2 of us (M & F) are heading to NY the 1st June on a j1 and are currently looking for places to stay! Does anyone know of any places or websites worth checking out? Have checked all the usual sites (sublet) and heard too many bad stories about Craigslist, can anyone help?

Thanks.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Moved from Accommodation & Property

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

Hey,

keeping cost down is always good. I generally get the lowest cost on travel, which is great,,, i give tips too. message me and ill send you y tips

Advertisement