Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 12:13   #1
Larbre34
Registered User
 
Larbre34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 11,285
Heavy rain,Strong Winds In East & Flooding Overnight Thurs 13th /Friday 14th November

Met Éireann have just upgraded the national rainfall warning for tomorrow to Orange.

Perhaps a dedicated thread? I would do it but I'm not familiar with setting up the coloured thread titles and changeable statuses etc


National Weather Warnings

STATUS ORANGE

Rainfall Warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath and Monaghan
A spell of heavy rain on Thursday followed by another spell of heavy rain on Thursday night will give rainfall accumulation of 40 to 60 mm with localised flooding.

Issued:Wednesday 12 November 2014 11:00
Valid:Thursday 13 November 2014 06:00 to Friday 14 November 2014 09:00


STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Munster, Connacht, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan and Donegal
Heavy rain overnight and on Thursday will give rainfall accumulations of 25 to 40 mm with localised flooding

Issued:Monday 10 November 2014 20:00
Valid:Thursday 13 November 2014 00:01 to Thursday 13 November 2014 20:00
Larbre34 is offline  
Advertisement
12-11-2014, 13:17   #2
Iancar29
Registered User
 
Iancar29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,999
Yeah just came on when i had a look at the charts , definitely a broad risk of flooding from now through friday . On phone so cant do much. Think a new thread is needed for this.

A relatively high tide of 3.6 m at 4pm tomorrow . Worst of the onshore winds should have past by then though.
Iancar29 is offline  
12-11-2014, 13:59   #3
Villain
Registered User
 
Villain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 15,257
Heavy rainfaill 13th & 14th up to 70mm

Met Eireann have issued two weather warnings:

Quote:
STATUS ORANGE

Rainfall Warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath and Monaghan

A spell of heavy rain on Thursday followed by another spell of heavy rain on Thursday night will give rainfall accumulation of 40 to 60 mm with localised flooding.
Issued:
Wednesday 12 November 2014 11:00
Valid:
Thursday 13 November 2014 06:00 to Friday 14 November 2014 09:00


STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Munster, Connacht, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan and Donegal

Heavy rain overnight and on Thursday will give rainfall accumulations of 25 to 40 mm with localised flooding
Issued:
Monday 10 November 2014 20:00
Valid:
Thursday 13 November 2014 00:01 to Thursday 13 November 2014 20:00
Latest high res charts show up 70mm of rain for South Dublin

totalrainfall
Villain is offline  
12-11-2014, 14:29   #4
maquiladora
Registered User
 
maquiladora's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,121
Gusts of up to 100-110km/h may be possible along southeast and eastern coasts Thursday morning.



UKMO assessment :

Quote:
A small but active depression will move quickly northwards during Thursday, bringing a short-lived period of gales and severe gales, particularly in areas exposed to the south. The region of strongest gusts will progress from the southwest of England during the morning, through areas adjoining the Irish Sea in the afternoon, before clearing from western Scotland in the early evening. There will also be spells of rain, some heavy, giving 10-20 mm fairly widely and locally 30 mm in southwest Wales, Cornwall and western Scotland.
maquiladora is offline  
12-11-2014, 18:23   #5
Villain
Registered User
 
Villain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 15,257
I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention in the media and news bulletins, if current charts are accurate I believe Dublin and other areas will suffer some bad flooding.
Villain is offline  
Advertisement
12-11-2014, 18:34   #6
HighLine
Registered User
 
HighLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villain View Post
I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention in the media and news bulletins, if current charts are accurate I believe Dublin and other areas will suffer some bad flooding.
I was thinking the same myself. Perhaps the "beast from the east" gets them more hits/headlines.

With the amount of rain that has fallen over the past few days, the ground is well and truly saturated. Saw a lot of flooding today across fields in Wicklow so I'd imagine a further 60/70mm tomorrow will definitely lead to more severe flooding.
HighLine is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-11-2014, 19:16   #7
sparrowcar
Registered User
 
sparrowcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLine View Post
I was thinking the same myself. Perhaps the "beast from the east" gets them more hits/headlines.

With the amount of rain that has fallen over the past few days, the ground is well and truly saturated. Saw a lot of flooding today across fields in Wicklow so I'd imagine a further 60/70mm tomorrow will definitely lead to more severe flooding.
Agreed. I walked my dog in Newbridge house demesne this afternoon and parts of the fields were flooded like I've never seen before. I can only imagine what 20-30mm would do let alone 60-70mm as predicted. It's clear the ground is at or above saturation point so any rain at all will stay above the surface.
sparrowcar is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-11-2014, 20:48   #8
JanuarySnowstor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,854
Looks standard fare to me.....imo warnings are not warranted as the front clears quite quickly
JanuarySnowstor is offline  
12-11-2014, 21:07   #9
maquiladora
Registered User
 
maquiladora's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuarySnowstor View Post
Looks standard fare to me.....imo warnings are not warranted as the front clears quite quickly
There are two fronts from two depressions, one in the morning and one overnight tomorrow. The models take into account the speed the fronts are moving and still show 30-60mm totals within a 36 hour period, more than enough for localised flooding in places.

Roads can get flooded from a single thundershower, it's not all about duration, the rainfall rate is important.
maquiladora is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-11-2014, 21:12   #10
diceyd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 210
Can anyone recommend a good weather app?
diceyd is offline  
12-11-2014, 21:33   #11
Villain
Registered User
 
Villain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 15,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuarySnowstor View Post
Looks standard fare to me.....imo warnings are not warranted as the front clears quite quickly
60mm in 24 hours period id standard fare???
Villain is offline  
12-11-2014, 21:33   #12
pad199207
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,966
WeatherProHD
pad199207 is online now  
(2) thanks from:
12-11-2014, 23:32   #13
maquiladora
Registered User
 
maquiladora's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,121
Model might be overdoing it, but the 18Z WRF showing up to 100mm in 36 hours over high ground in the east.

maquiladora is offline  
(2) thanks from:
13-11-2014, 00:36   #14
Meteorite58
Moderator
 
Meteorite58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,292
Heavy driving rain arriving on the Kerry coast now , wind steadily picking up ( recent gust 47kph SSE )
Meteorite58 is offline  
13-11-2014, 01:34   #15
howlinwolf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 332
it has a nice solid form ...pretty fast moving though


howlinwolf is offline  
Thanks from:
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search