Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capitol Cineplex Memories

Options
  • 12-11-2014 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭

CapitolCinePlex.jpg

Had a discussion about the Capitol Cineplex in work this morning. I miss the place and I still get a little sad looking at the derelict building it is now.

What are your memories of it?

PICT0126.jpg

The first movie I saw there was Back to the Future 3, I think.

That feeling of dread walking up to screen 5 right at the back of the cinema, thinking you could be murdered at any time and no one would know.

That grumpy old fella, who was part of the charm of the place.

The smell of popcorn as you walked in the door.

Queuing up all the way down towards Mandy's on a busy day

The whirr of the projector if you sat at the back of screen 2

Double seats!

Me and my buddies having the whole of screen 6 to ourselves for a screening of Jurassic Park because no one else showed up

Had my first date with my wife in there - we went to see the Grinch in screen one, in one of those glorious double seats all the way over to the right.

"I'll meet ya outside the Cineplex" you'd say in the pre mobile phone days.

I brought my little brother to see the Incredibles in there. The film print literally went on fire about twenty mins from the end. I had to argue with the old one who worked there to get my money back because she was trying to insist I saw most of the movie.

Good times!

PICT0114.jpg

I remember being very sad when it closed, and I still am. I'm still an avid cinema goer, but Mahon Point just doesn't have the same magic that the Cineplex had.

So what are your memories of the place?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

First movie I saw in there was Jurassic park in 93, I was 7 :D.

Whenever I passed the place on a Saturday during the day as a kid in the 90's, the ques outside were going down along grand parade sometimes.

The grumpy old ticket guy who use to come out and give out too everyone .

I loved the place wish it didn't close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

first movie i saw in there was toy story when i was 9! it was a huge treat when my aunt said we were going to the cinema in town as we usually went to the one in Douglas, i remember seeing the double seats and of course i had to have one all to myself :D

went back many a time after that usually on school/summer camp trips, also remember when i got in there (i was too young at the time im sure it was rated 15's) with my school friends to see never been kissed (kinda wish we had made a better choice now :pac: ) and i remember feeling so grown up! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

My uncle bringing us to see the Turtles was my first venture, queued up from Burger King only to be told it was sold out. Went back in for the 5pm showing, the wait inbetween was torture.

Can't remember much of that movie, so proper, first film recollection was Jurassic Park, eyes nearly popped out of my head when the first dinosaur was revealed.

I always preferred screen 3, the smaller one to the left of the food counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

I used to love going here, they should re-open it!!

I remember queing outside sitting on the steps waiting for your turn to get to the ticket desk. Then was it up to the left as you go in the door there was two screens up there, one was huge. I remember going to see the Spice Girl movie in there and there was around 6 of us in total in the entire place we had so much fun..

And the smoochie seats, two people could seat without a barrier!!! Ohhh the memoires

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

I remember seeing the old Superman movie with Christopher Reeve there...
    This was before the days of the cineplex when there was just the main cinema and the smaller "mini" upstairs.
    I saw the movie with my dad in the Mini so it must have been out a while if it moved to the Mini...

The first time I went to the cinema on my own (with friends and without a parent) was to see "Escape to Victory".
    I felt very grown up with my bag of sweets in my pocket!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Very first movie I saw there was The Last Unicorn with my mother. I must have only been 4. Santa Claus the movie I queued with my aunt for only to eb turned away close to the door. She brought me back the very next day though.

I think the first movie I went to see on my own was Look Who's Talking.

Last one was Terminator 3 with 100s in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I remember both the Cineplex and the old Capitol! Saw Jaws 4 in the old cinema and still remember myself and my Dad and brothers being turned away from Top Gun because we were too young (it was 16s)! The old cinema closed around the same time as others in the city centre (Classic, Lee), leaving the Pavilion (now HMV) the only cinema for a while and, IIRC, that closed shortly after, leaving NO mainstream cinema in the city centre for a few months!
    Many memories of the Cineplex - went to it the first week it opened and saw Licence to Kill (and still remember they didn't show the certificate beforehand - tut tut tut). Of course its main opening movie was THE event picture of 1989 - Batman, which I saw the same week IIRC (and again a week or two later!). Saw Braveheart 3 or 4 times there. I still remember the Examiner did a rolling promotion one summer, where you could redeem vouchers in the paper for free tickets to preview screenings - you had to drop into the Examiner office and hope not too many people got there before you. Saw In the Line of Fire and a few others for free.

And yes, screen 5 always did seem a bit 'exotic' with the long hike to get there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I think the first movie I saw there was Home Alone with my Dad and sister. That would have been around 1990 I think. I remember the grumpy aul fella as well, I was terrified of him!

I think the last movie I saw there (that I can remember anyway) was Road Trip.

My Dad has told me there were many cinemas in the city centre at one time. There were mostly one screen places showing different movies.

It's a shame the site is derelict now. I believe there were plans to develop a shopping centre there. I think the site is for sale again at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

If you hid under seats or in the toilets you could stay there all day.

Also I remember kids asking the attendant if they could use the payphone in the lobby and then they'd jump over the velvet rope when noone was looking.

Saw Reservoir Dogs in the tiny Screen 6 when it showed for one week only. I was never so scared of being rejected from a film for not being over 18. The relief when I got through the door was unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

I'm sure the first film I saw in there was My Girl. I snuck in to another movie a few times as well. I remember once I was refused entry to see Kingpin, so snuck into mission impossible to spite the bastards ;)

Miss that place a lot. Sad to see it derelict, would have loved to see once screen left open if it gets redeveloped and have a kino type place in there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

first film i saw there when it reopened in the summer of 1989 was wild at heart!

i used to always walk past it on a friday morning to see what was after opening up for the coming week with Empire magazine in my bag!!

i remember when i started ucc in 1991 going to the cinpelex every friday and sometimes doing a double showing catching a film at 2.30 and again at 4.30.

all i will say happy days and innocent times and i miss the place ...................its not the same in mahon douglas or the gate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Did they rip everything out when it closed? Would love to go in there and have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Did they rip everything out when it closed? Would love to go in there and have a look.

Ditto. I think they have done - they definitely took all the seats anyway. And it'd be impossible to see as it would be so dark in there. Can only imagine the amount of rats and pigeons occupying it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

No I don't think so, I think they just left it... I know of two girls who used to go in there lets say to do no so nice things and they said all the seats where there and things like that... Think they used to get in through some back windows somewhere. Would love to go in for a look around. It would be such a shame when, I say when as they are bound to do it, change everything to all the fancy way of doing things now..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

First film I saw was Dances with Wolves, what a film, still in my Top 5 ever.

The grumpy old b@stard used to remind me of James Tolkan
    176570_512x288_generated.jpg

I was told back in the 80s, he used to make everyone sit in the same row, complete strangers would be forced to sit next to each other.

I went back as an adult a few years before it closed and couldn't believe what a kip it was.
    Ireland changed more in those 15 years, than in the 50 before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I remember trying to get into the second Matrix film there with a friend of mine when we were about 12. Both confident we would get into a 15's film no problem. We weren't prepared to be asked our dates of births and were under pressure to add and subtract years as the girl at the ticket desk needed a year and not just the the day and month. Some guy behind us must have noticed us struggling and whispered to us to say 1985. So, we both give our birth years as 1985, get a shrug from the ticket desk girl, get the tickets and off we went.

It was only afterwards when I thought about it that being born in 1985 would have made us 18 or 19 at the time. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Them double seats......that is all :p :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭rebelden

The Capital Cineplex, that brings back memories. Many afternoon spent on the 'hop' watching movies back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Went there once when I was younger (probably 8 or 9) for the Digimon Movie. My friend's mum took us both and.. I fell asleep :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Remember seeing my first cinema film there too. Think it was something christmassy!

I think the idea for the building is to extend the english market into it somehow. Which would be pretty cool too.

• Advertisement

My dad used to work in there when he was young, we would sometimes get to skip the queue and get in free.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

I saw Titanic there when Burger King went on fire. The fire alarm went off just after the ship hit the iceburg so most ignored it. Not because the film was really good but because the noise could have been part of the story and the lights were not put on. It wasn't until there was a smell of smoke that people realised that there really was a fire somewhere and suddenly everyone was in a mad rush to get outside.

Really interesting to see how people behave in crowds, some were leaving in ones and twos but suddenly there was a tipping point when almost everyone left at once. Being young and dumb I stayed until the fire brigade came in and kicked out the remaining ejits.

We thought we would get a few free tickets next time we went back but were only offered a refund or one free entry. Wasn't going to sit through a 3 hour film to see the last 5 minutes so didn't see the very end for a few years until it was on TV.
    The ship sinks.

Have some other good memories from the Capitol too, the place had real character, it's a pity it closed down, especially when nothing was built there after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Only went there a few times in the early-mid 90's with my mother.

My favorite memory was Independence Day, when the White House blew up everyone cheered :D

I was way younger than the certificate age, but they didn't care once my mother was with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I can't remember what the first film I ever saw in the Capitol was it's so long ago. I remember going to a birthday party event in the Capitol (must have been mid-late '70's) and half the group legging it to The Classic on Washington Street to see some spaghetti western while us eejits were watching some kids movie in The Capitol. When it was the Cineplex, it was a right dump - the roof leaked like a sieve. I was watching a film once when the usherette was running in and out with buckets to catch the leaks. All through the quiet bits of the film, you could hear the water falling into the bucket. Another time, some eejit in the row behind me started a fight with another eejit in the row in front of me so I was stuck between the pair of them throwing punches over my head.

My only other memory of the Cineplex is arriving late for the showing and running up to the main theatre. I opened the doors and ran inside, only I forgot about that planter full of plastic plants and went straight into it. I winded myself with a loud "OOOF!" and the usherette came over and shone her torch on me as I lay on the floor gasping like a landed fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

First film I saw was there too.

Ghostbusters in 1984.

I was scared sh1tless for the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

valoren wrote: »
    First film I saw was there too.

Ghostbusters in 1984.

I was scared sh1tless for the whole thing.

My dad took my brother and I to a Pink Panther film as he was a huge Peter Sellers fan so we got used as an excuse despite not caring for said films at all. My brother got bored and sneaked into the next cinema where some horror film was on. He came back pretty quickly looking very, very, pale.

I was barred from The Palace on MacCurtain Street back in the early '80's . Something to do with a war of words with the woman running the kiosk but God only knows what it was about. I even got thrown bodily out the door by the manager and bouncer and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

Feck me the memories!!!

First film was when my father brought me there to see The Addams Family in '91, I was 8 and it was my first time in a cinema, still remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Last I heard was it would be expanding the English Market and that the Capitol site will be used for restaurants and Cafes.
    There's certainly ongoing works in there at weekends.

Where the was the cinema on mac curtain st?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

Everyman I would think.

Advertisement