Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative DCM Route

Options
  • 08-11-2014 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭

There's been a lot of talk about this year's DCM route. While I don't think the route is as bad as some people have claimed, I do think it could be more inclusive of the north side (NYC, for instance, takes great pride in covering all five boroughs of the city). With that in mind, for a bit of fun, what alternative routes would people come up with?

Here's my suggestion, which in some ways harks back to DCM's early daysm (although it would still be run anticlockwise). This route is also a little flatter, I think - takes out the Castleknock-Tower Hill Section. It's roughly split 50/50 between north and south, and the halfway point is in the Phoenix Park. Crumlin Road remains (mainly because I think it gets an undeservedly bad rap). Clonskeagh and Roebuck are gone, but as an added bonus, we get up close and personal with Shrewsbury and Aylesbury Roads. We start and finish in the same place, because this year's finishing stretch is a big improvement.

DCM_alt.jpg

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/8338660

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Its just as hilly/tough a route as this year's as the drag now goes up to Donnycarney. The main problem isn't the course (tis fine to me) but the fact that Dublin would be traffic mayhem if you had it both on the North & South sides.

Met two Garda after it this year down on Pearse St and they said that the amount of people who don't know that there's a marathon on for the last 35 years on the same day is amazing. Also applies to St Patrick's Day party they said.

I actually liked this year's course; the problem was that most people didn't run smart for the conditions and didn't know the course and where the wind/hills would be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

chinguetti wrote: »
    Its just as hilly/tough a route as this year's as the drag now goes up to Donnycarney. The main problem isn't the course (tis fine to me) but the fact that Dublin would be traffic mayhem if you had it both on the North & South sides.

Met two Garda after it this year down on Pearse St and they said that the amount of people who don't know that there's a marathon on for the last 35 years on the same day is amazing. Also applies to St Patrick's Day party they said.

I actually liked this year's course; the problem was that most people didn't run smart for the conditions and didn't know the course and where the wind/hills would be a problem.

Well it's just a bit of fun, and as regards the traffic, I would tend to say to motorists, suck it up. There's always the M50 - maybe the toll could be eliminated for the day. The same could apply to the Port Tunnel. Although there would be no way to avoid traffic difficulties altogether. Emergency vehicles would of course be allowed through anyway.

I agree re the Donnycarney drag but the high point (according to Garmins not very accurate elevation data, admittedly), is only about 50m, a good bit below Castleknock and Roebuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There's lots of restrictions race organisers have to deal with when choosing routes. One of the main ones would be keeping the main roads open. Part of the reason for the current route would be that none of the northside access roads are closed (or not for very long in the old route), and on the southside we run under the Chapelizod bypass and over Stillorgan Road

• Registered Users Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭plodder

I think it's a shame too they have avoided the North side this year. I always enjoyed the jaunt around the North circular road in previous years. The quays are quite boring by comparison.

Making the port tunnel free for the day might be one way to appease motoring interests. Unlikely as that sounds, it's worth pointing out that most big cities seem to do more for their marathon than Dublin does, with free public transport and the like. Also, the closures on the North side would tend to be shorter since the field is much closer together at the start of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

As much fun as speculating on the routes is I feel, as other posters have said, that the traffic situation is the real dominant force in how/which/why a route is chosen. I doubt if we shall ever see a large sweep of the route being in the Northside again.

But when calmly considered was this year's route, with it's changes at start and finish, really that bad? If the 2014 route was chosen next year in 2015 and the close to ideal running conditions of 2013 or 2012 were around would it cause as much controversy amongst participants?

Just my own personal opinion from talking to friends and clubmates but it seemed it was those bizarre weather conditions caused more problems than any changes in route configuration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

There was similar chat about this in Cork but its very hard to plan around hospitals and other essential services. People need to get to hospital. There a lots of other factors that have to be considered also (that I can't remember)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

rom wrote: »
    There was similar chat about this in Cork but its very hard to plan around hospitals and other essential services. People need to get to hospital. There a lots of other factors that have to be considered also (that I can't remember)

Fair enough, but do those factors suggests that DCM has to favour the south side? The route used in recent years passed at least four major hospitals! The port tunnel keeps city centre and east coast access open from the M1. M50 allows suburban access on both sides of the city. Within the cordon we have plenty of public transport options. Sure, there might be inconveniences, but nothing much greater than what's there already. Ray's point about over/underpasses is a good one. An alternative route could use the overpass at Santry to keep the N1 open. There are overpasses too at Finglas and Blanchardstown that might be used on other potential routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Wholesale changes to the route is not really an option. The vast majority's of the route has been as is for quite a good few years now, and there is ' buy in' if you like from the Gardai , the residents on the route which are affected, the business on the route, and in reality most people who are watching it know the route and where to go etc, and bar a few plonkers who like to claim that it inconveniences them , most people in Dublin know how they can by pass the route if they need too. Working out the early miles this year because of the LUAS was a real headache for them , and I know in fact that right up till the night before there was a large degree of unhappiness from the guards ( who maybe didn't fully understand what was about to happen to the city and the quays) . So getting Gardai clearance would be the single biggest difficulty for them , and it will be interesting to see what will happen next year and whether it will revert to the previous course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Was just thinking about this yesterday. What if , instead of entering the park at the Parkgate St. entrance and doing the whole drag along Chesterfield Ave, the route went up Infirmary Rd and took the NCR entrance. I know it would be a much steeper climb but it's much shorter and comes very early in the race when everyone should be reasonably fresh! I'm not sure how it would effect the distance but it probably could be done without too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Question: What if the marathon was run on the Bank-Holiday Sunday instead? Would it lessen some of these problems somewhat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Question: What if the marathon was run on the Bank-Holiday Sunday instead? Would it lessen some of these problems somewhat?

Would lessen the pain of having to work on the Monday and increase the chances of a good drink after it, well for me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

bigslice wrote: »
    Would lessen the pain of having to work on the Monday and increase the chances of a good drink after it, well for me anyway!

Never going to happen. It would inconvenience to many local residents along the route who want to go to Mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

ger664 wrote: »
    Never going to happen. It would inconvenience to many local residents along the route who want to go to Mass.
    There is an actual bye law that dissallows anyone interfering dudes goin to mass...one of the many reasons that kildare was Cancelled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Don't know if its true but apparently double time has to be paid to the garda on a Sunday but Monday is a flat rate despite it been a bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Don't know if its true but apparently double time has to be paid to the garda on a Sunday but Monday is a flat rate despite it been a bank holiday.

That's correct.
    It'll not be allowed to take place on a Sunday. Nothing to do with Mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Be good to do the route the opposite direction every second year, also it would give the residents a break

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

But what about the Infirmary Road?!!! Ha ha!

Be good to do the route the opposite direction every second year, also it would give the residents a break

The LUAS has to be stopped while the race crosses it. At the start of the race, the gap between the front and the back is short, the line is only closed for an hour. At the end of the race there's a gap of five hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

RayCun wrote: »
    The LUAS has to be stopped while the race crosses it. At the start of the race, the gap between the front and the back is short, the line is only closed for an hour. At the end of the race there's a gap of five hours.

Other countries have trams and manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Interestingly rock and roll moved to the Sunday of bank hol August

• Advertisement

PVincent wrote: »
    Interestingly rock and roll moved to the Sunday of bank hol August

the half iron man on the Monday, I think

Advertisement