Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court to decide if Chimps should get Human Rights

Options
  • 11-10-2014 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

A lawsuit says a 26-year-old ape called Tommy has been unlawfully imprisoned and deserves "legal personhood".

The case, which experts say is the first of its kind, revolves around Tommy the chimp, who is currently being kept by his owner in a cage in upstate New York.

Lawyer Steven Wise represents an animal rights group called the Nonhuman Rights Project and has been campaigning for decades to extend human rights to other intelligent animals.

Its website states: "Our mission is to change the common law status of at least some nonhuman animals from mere 'things', which lack the capacity to possess any legal right, to 'persons', who possess such fundamental rights as bodily integrity and bodily liberty, and those other legal rights to which evolving standards of morality, scientific discovery, and human experience entitle them."

Mr Wise is seeking a ruling that 26-year-old Tommy has been unlawfully imprisoned and should be cared for in a Florida sanctuary.
    Previous lawsuits have been thrown out, but Mr Wise has appealed against the decision.

The court, which heard arguments on Wednesday, is expected to issue its ruling in coming weeks.

If the New York state appeals court rules in his favour it could strengthen the case for extended rights for other high intelligence animals such as dolphins and elephants.

The Boston-based lawyer has also lodged an appeal on behalf of another chimp called Kiko.

He is using a legal argument usually deployed by prisoners who feel they have been locked up illegally.

Tommy's owner, Patrick Laverty, has waived his right to make an argument before the court, but has said previously that Tommy actually lives in a state-of-the-art facility and that he has been on a waiting list for an animal sanctuary for some time.

He told the Albany Times Union newspaper: "He's got a lot of enrichment. He's got colour TV, cable and a stereo … he likes being by himself."
    Some legal experts such as US Circuit Judge Richard Posner and New York University law professor Richard Epstein have criticised the court case.
    According to Reuters news agency, both men believe that if animals are afforded the rights traditionally reserved for humans, courts could be overwhelmed by difficult legal questions.

Bizzare. Imagine if this went ahead. What next? Human rights for cats?

Should chimps have Human Rights? 36 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 36 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,164 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Shouldn't we make sure that every human being has their human rights protected first?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I know a few humans that should be given chimp rights

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Shouldn't we make sure that every human being has their human rights protected first?

I was thinking that myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

The chimp's legal team have advised him to remain silent on this matter for now.

Banana's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Calling them 'human rights' or changing their legal status to 'person' is not appropriate but they should be recognised lawfully as someone instead of something. Most often animals are treated as property or objects by law, that's more ridiculous, that an animal would have the same legal status as an inanimate object. When the french changed one of their laws recently in relation to dogs, they were given legal status as sentient beings, that's what all animals should have. I wonder would the people who name elephants and dolphins as high intelligence animals also consider pigs and birds?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

He should be afforded animal rights and surely a superiorily intelligent animal such as a chimpanzee should not be kept in a cage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

Yeah, I don't know if 'human rights' is the right way to put it, but animals deserve much better treatment than they currently get and are definitely entitled to greater rights than they currently have. I don't think an animal should simply be objectified or regarded as property, and if the law changed its stance on this, a lot more animals may receive much better treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Steven Wise....ironic name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

If only it was like a Planet of the Apes scenario , where the chimp represented himself and had a sexy sidekick chimp working with him, maybe Mariah Carey could be sexy sidekick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I find it bad that they even have to go to that length to ensure other people don't abuse animals. There shouldn't have to be a legislation to consider an animal with the same rights as a person, it should be automatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Get your rights off me you damn dirty apes!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Get your rights off me you damn dirty apes!

He can talk! He can talk!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ah yes the young ape with a shovel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Lalealynn

Bizzare. Imagine if this went ahead. What next? Human rights for cats?
    And your point is?

Seriously though they can't even be bothered to enforce animal rights as they stand.

And humans rights for humans is still a goal rather than a reality.

Animals feel suffering they feel , they are NOT things.

It's empathizing and I think the opposite is a little bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

A chimp is an animal. Why would it deserve human rights? WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I wonder if they could open an account on Boards - maybe they already have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The monkeys will soon be in charge of the bananas. Although Dail Eireann comes to mind..........

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Lalealynn wrote: »
    And your point is?

Seriously though they can't even be bothered to enforce animal rights as they stand.

And humans rights for humans is still a goal rather than a reality.

Animals feel suffering they feel , they are NOT things.

It's empathizing and I think the opposite is a little bizarre.

You can attribute common sense to animals the same way we should treat other humans - by not hurting them, treating them with respect and love. Animals are inherantly different to humans though - 'human rights' is not the correct term to be applied. 'Animal rights' is more approptiate imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

The case, which experts say is the first of its kind, revolves around Tommy the chimp, who is currently being kept by his owner in a cage in upstate New York.

Lawyer Steven Wise represents an animal rights group called the Nonhuman Rights Project and has been campaigning for decades to extend human rights to other intelligent animals.

Stopped right there.

What next?

Turkeys being encouraged to cast votes for/agin Christmas in State ballots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

He can talk! He can talk!

"Can I play the piano anymore?"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,362 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If corporations can have human rights.....

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Will they be able to get the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Animals are inherantly different to humans though

What? Why?

Chimps, bonobo, gorillas, humans - we're all just primates really. Genetically we're only 1.2% away from chimps & bonobo, and 1.6% away from gorilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It's high time lawyers were given chimp rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 deBop

A chimp is an animal. Why would it deserve human rights? WTF

Humans are animals. Animals deserve to be treated as sentient beings and not some inanimate objects in someone's possession, they are alive and aware of their surroundings - like humans. Humans share 95% of their DNA sequence and 99% of coding DNA sequences with Chimps.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

jimgoose wrote: »
    It's high time lawyers were given chimp rights.

Don't get carried away now. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The whole concepts is nuts.
    I dont know what the world is coming to. It's gone to the dogs.
    We still have slave labour and in equality among humans so is this what he's wanting for monkeys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭DeadHand

We still have slave labour and in equality among humans so is this what he's wanting for monkeys.

They're apes actually.

Advertisement