Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Pronounce Caolán!

• 17-06-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

So, I have a wee leanbh on the way and shortlisting names. One is Caolán. Now I'm originally from west of Ireland (Sligo to be accurate) and my pronunciation of this name seems to be different than some other peoples from the north or from other dialects. So I'm wondering if this name is one of those that is dependant on dialect?

I'd pronounce it closer to "Kway-lawn". But other people have varied from:

Kay-lan
    Kwee-lawn
    Kee-lan

I like Kway-lawn best, but I'm now doubting my pronunciation? How would you pronounce it? Or is this one of those dialect things?

Go raibh math agaibh!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭deise08

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    So, I have a wee leanbh on the way and shortlisting names. One is Caolán. Now I'm originally from west of Ireland (Sligo to be accurate) and my pronunciation of this name seems to be different than some other peoples from the north or from other dialects. So I'm wondering if this name is one of those that is dependant on dialect?

I'd pronounce it closer to "Kway-lahn". But other people have varied from:

Kay-lan
    Kwee-lahn
    Kee-lan

I like Kway-lahn best, but I'm now doubting my pronunciation? How would you pronounce it? Or is this one of those dialect things?

Go raibh math agaibh!

KWAY LAWN

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BelleOfTheBall

Is that a boys name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Is that a boys name?

I hope so :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Yeah it's a boys name. Look up Caolán Mooney, Aussie rules player. He pronounces it something like Kay-lan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Up in Donegal I've only come across the Kee-lan pronunciation and quite a few kids with the name spelt the Anglicised way - Keelan. In Monaghan/Cavan it's often Kay-lawn. I would have Connacht Irish and it'd be Kway-lawn to me.

At the end of the day, however, if your child will be reared where you live, the name will be pronounced in the local way, so I wouldn't worry too much about pronunciations elsewhere.

The area of Irish names can be a bit of a minefield and you'll find plenty of discussion on the baby names thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

KarmaGarda wrote: »

I'd pronounce it closer to "Kway-lawn". But other people have varied from:

Kay-lan
    Kwee-lawn
    Kee-lan

I like Kway-lahn best, but I'm now doubting my pronunciation? How would you pronounce it? Or is this one of those dialect things?

Go raibh math agaibh!

Definitely cant be Kee-lan anyway. That sounds awful and rather naff tbh. Your own pronunciation seems right to me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

deise08 wrote: »
    KWAY LAWN

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

K-lawn or K.way-lawn. A fada makes an "awe" sound.

deise08 wrote: »
    KWAY LAWN

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Good stuff, sounds like most pronounce it the same as myself.

I agree with the "Kee-lan" pronunciation seeming incorrect as the á needs to be elongated to make an "awn" sound.

• Advertisement

Correct if spelt Caolàn. I knew a girl called Keelin, at least that's how she pronounced it in English. Don't know what the Irish version of that was or if it's the same name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

feargale wrote: »
    Correct if spelt Caolàn. I knew a girl called Keelin, at least that's how she pronounced it in English. Don't know what the Irish version of that was or if it's the same name.

Caoillfhinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

There's an important isogloss in Irish with regards to prononunication of "ao"

ao-isogloss.png

In Connacht and Ulster Irish "ao" is prononunced identically to "aoi" (long i eg. í --- ee for english speakers). In Munster it's pronounced as long e (eg. é/ae --- "ay" for english speakers).

Due to emphasis often placed on Munster Irish historically in education system you get result that many non-native speakers will use munster pronunciation even though they are from areas that never historically did use it. Good example is pronunciation of "naomh"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Caoilfhionn - qwee linn
    Caolán - qway lawn

It is my sons name,himself loves the 2 names but I only let him use one of them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

In the original dialect of county Sligo it would have been pronounced KWEE-lawn, with stress on the initial syllable.

Advertisement