Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Chess Championships 2014

Options
  • 01-05-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭

From the ICU website (with permission):
    Irish Championship Details are now available

This year's Irish Chess Championship will be held in Trinity College, full details are now available here. Online entry will open soon.

Entry form here.
    Irish Senior Championship
    9 Round
    FIDE rated
    Closed Swiss Event
    Saturday July 5th to Sunday July 13th 2014
    For Irish players rated over 1900 on the May 2014 ICU published rating list or over 1900 on the May 2014 FIDE list

Venue:
    Round Times
    Goldsmith Hall,
    Trinity College Dublin

Rate of Play:
    90 minutes for the first 40 moves followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the
    game with an addition of 30 seconds per move starting from move one.
    Irish Intermediate Championship
    5 Round FIDE rated Closed Swiss Event
    For players rated between 1500 and 1899 on the May 2014 ICU published rating list
    Friday July 4th to Sunday July 6th 2014

Venue:
    Trinity College Dublin

Rate of Play:
    90 minutes for the entire game with an addition of 30 seconds per move starting from move one.
    Irish Junior Championship
    For players rated up to 1499 on the May 2014 ICU published rating list
    Venue:
    Trinity College Dublin
    Rate of Play:
    90 minutes for the entire game with an addition of 30 seconds per move starting from move one.
    Irish Ladies Championship
    Venue:
    Trinity College Dublin
    Rate of Play:
    Irish Open Weekender Championship
    5 Round FIDE rated Swiss Event
    Friday July 11th to Sunday July 13th 2014

Venue:
    Trinity College Dublin

Rate of Play:
    Prize Fund

Irish Chess Championships 2014

1st|€1,000.00
    2nd|€600.00
    3rd|€400.00
    Best under 2100|€200.00

Irish Intermediate Championship

1st|€500.00
    2nd|€250.00
    3rd|€150.00

Irish Junior Championship

1st|€500.00
    2nd|€250.00
    3rd|€150.00

Irish Women’s Championship

( This prize fund is subject to entry )
    1st|€500.00
    2nd|€250.00
    3rd|€150.00

Irish Weekender Open Championship

1st|€600.00
    2nd|€400.00
    3rd|€200.00
    Grading Prizes|€ 250.00

Full details (including restrictions, accommodation details, etc, etc) in the entry form here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 historian

Let's hope somebody isn't rated 1900 (check the small print).

On a more significant note, I see last year's experiment of going down to 1800 in the Senior has been abandoned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Interesting also that the Irish Ladies' tournament is now included. Last run alongside Kilkenny two years ago, I think, which seemed a bit silly as it meant the competitors couldn't enter one of the most popular weekenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭RQ_ennis_chess

Wasnt the Irish Ladies Championship played for last year in UL also albeit with small numbers? I thought Diana Mirza won it.

@RQ_ennis_chess
    Correct on both counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Past_Pawn_99

Hope they can organize some mid-week tournaments like the AM and PM tournaments last year. Was hoping to play them and sad to see that they weren't included this year. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

High entry fees and relatively low prizes

@Past_Pawn_99
    The "flyer" states that, "There may well be other mid week events arranged, details yet to be finalised" so don't give up hope yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

TOMP wrote: »
    High entry fees and relatively low prizes
    €50 for the weekenders is rather steep, given you could enter Malahide for €35 until yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Past sell by Date

In the past the junior, intermediate and weekender have always been expensive, All to finance the top event for the elite ivory tower dwellers

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

mikhail wrote: »
    €50 for the weekenders is rather steep, given you could enter Malahide for €35 until yesterday.

You'd think there'd be some early entry discount or multiple entry discount. That said, FIDE rated events used to require the organiser to pay FIDE an extra sum of money. Not sure if this is still the case...

• Advertisement

Even in the past when the junior , intermediate, weekender were not fide rated. The entry fee was 50 euro. I would also say that the playing conditions offered to these events were often sub standard..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

I have only played in this event once, e2e4 were running it. I think the €50 was worth it, the venue was excellent (Green Isle) as well as the organisation of the tournament, but I cant comment on other years.

There was one year there was one of those African Sunday Church singing sessions on the same floor! That was quite distracting... The main event was on a lower floor, so don't know if it affected them, but I think that was the tournament with a leak in the roof or really loud fans or something. Bit of a disaster all round.

The e2e4 tournament have a very good reputation though.

Are e2e4 on board this year? There was another African church group at the final of the leagues this year. The noise was very distracting.

They were there last year too. I guess they have the venue every Sunday. The Teachers' Club is a nice venue, but clashes with stuff like that do need to be avoided alright.

Don't know if e2e4 are on board this year; I actually mentioned them as a follow-on from your post, but yeah, don't think that's confirmed (or even necessarily on the cards) at all.

Yeah its a pity, I'm looking forward to it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I thought the cut-off point for accepting entries was 1900 elo, but I see a couple of players just under that. I assume this means they’re not that strict about the minimum 1900 limit, or are there other criteria taken into consideration, such as previously having been over 1900?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Lucena wrote: »
    I thought the cut-off point for accepting entries was 1900 elo, but I see a couple of players just under that. I assume this means they’re not that strict about the minimum 1900 limit, or are there other criteria taken into consideration, such as previously having been over 1900?
    Usually there's some leeway at the discretion of the controller. Some controllers will have a strict cut-off in mind, some will accept a FIDE rating over 1900, some will allow promising juniors extra leeway, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Ciaran

I think an 1850 Fide or Irish rating is the cut off this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Correct Ciaran. It's officially 1900 but with a 50 point tolerance.

I've managed to find this information:

"The ICU has agreed a tolerance of 50 points for entry to the Irish Senior, so any Irish player who's ICU rating on the May official published list is 1850 or higher ( or the FIDE May list of 1850 or higher ) may enter the Irish Senior Championship."

http://www.icaa.ie/icu2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

Good Luck to everyone playing, See you there later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Richthetich

The Junior section is totally distorted. The players that didn't play in round one all received one point. Round one was forty five minutes with a ten second increment. From round two, twenty six people are on one point so if you played in round one and lost or drew you have no chance at winning the competition because someone with five out of five games will win it.

I personally withdrew in disgust.

Gerry MacElligott and John Redmond seem to have only made 14 moves in 3 and 3/4 hours. And I thought I played slowly at times!

No results from the intermediate or junior. live boards not working,
    Another badly run irish tourney, Come back e2e4 please .....

Interesting last move for Gordon Freeman against Sam!

Live boards seem to be working ok now; were they down earlier today?

cdeb wrote: »
    Interesting last move for Gordon Freeman against Sam!

Live boards seem to be working ok now; were they down earlier today?

Only 4 were working earlier. There were supposed to be 8.

Ah, ok.

There's still only four at the moment (all finished). So I presume it's the same four.

• Advertisement

Why cant you download the irish senior games ? It downloads ok but there are no moves in the pgn file. Come back e2e4 please......................................

Advertisement