Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andy Cairns solo

Options
  • 06-03-2014 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

Love Therapy? one of the best Irish bands ever..but seriously acoustic?
    Has he split with Ewing et all and planning solo material? ..can't see this ending well.Great to hear the songs live but if he wants to be solo he should write some new material .maybe he has ?

Playing Whelans soon(26/4) would/are you going?
    Tickets priced €20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

They're recording a new album. Not hard to find out if you look at their website or FB page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

or even rte.ie..

Andy Cairns, frontman of Larne band Therapy?, has announced a solo gig in Whelan's of Dublin on March 26 ahead of the 20th anniversary releases of Therapy?'s breakthrough albums Infernal Love and Troublegum.

Cairns embarks on his first ever acoustic solo tour with the blessing of his bandmates, bassist Michael McKeegan and drummer Neil Cooper, and he empathises that Therapy? are not slitting up. The band released their last album, the acclaimed A Brief Crack of Light, in 2012.

As well as plans to "scour every inch of his back catalogue" in preparation for the jaunt, Cairns says he will debut new Therapy? songs on his solo tour.

“I fancied a challenge,” says Cairns. “I’m hoping to take around two to four new songs with me on tour and I’m also going to go through all of the Therapy? albums and see what works in that format. I’m really looking forward to the shows.”

Tickets priced €20.00 (including booking fee) go on sale tomorrow (Wednesday January 29) through www.ticketmaster.ie and usual outlets nationwide.

In March, Therapy?’s 1994 album, the 750,000-selling Troublegum, will be re-issued as a three CD Deluxe Edition. It will be released alongside a deluxe edition reissue of 1995's Infernal Love.

The reissue coincides with a short run of UK shows by Therapy?, also in celebration of Troublegum’s 20th anniversary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Don't really think it sounds that good at all (I love Therapy? and troublegum is one of my favourite albums ever, but his voice isn't strong enough for the stripped down style? and the guitar doesn't sound great..i dunno)....but I kinda wanna go now. Cheers

Reckon if it was a randomer in a pub banging out a Therapy? cover I'd be thinking, he just murdered that song :)

The difference between a randomer in a pub banging out a Therapy? song is it's not a randomer. It's Andy Cairns. That's probably why people will pay to see him. Met him at the hot press music show a few years ago. Very nice bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

notnumber wrote: »
    Love Therapy? one of the best Irish bands ever..but seriously acoustic?
    Has he split with Ewing et all and planning solo material? ..can't see this ending well.Great to hear the songs live but if he wants to be solo he should write some new material .maybe he has ?

Playing Whelans soon(26/4) would/are you going?
    Tickets priced €20

I've got to wonder how strong your love of the band is if you're unaware Fyfe left in 1996.

I have a ticket for this gig, got it as soon as I heard about it. I do think 20 euro is a little steep given that his overheads can't be huge, but I'm really looking forward to it.

There were a bunch of acoustic b-sides released over various singles from the Infernal Love album which were just Andy with a guitar. They're great, you should check them out on youtube. Misery in particular is amazing. Also, I think our chances of hearing Our Love Must Die are pretty good and I'll pay 20 quid for that alone.

People go on about Troublegum and it is a great album, but if you haven't heard Suicide Pact: You First then I don't think you've heard Therapy? at their best. I'm hoping Andy will include a couple of songs from that album in the set.

• Advertisement

I've got to wonder how strong your love of the band is if you're unaware Fyfe left in 1996.

I have a ticket for this gig, got it as soon as I heard about it. I do think 20 euro is a little steep given that his overheads can't be huge, but I'm really looking forward to it.

There were a bunch of acoustic b-sides released over various singles from the Infernal Love album which were just Andy with a guitar. They're great, you should check them out on youtube. Misery in particular is amazing. Also, I think our chances of hearing Our Love Must Die are pretty good and I'll pay 20 quid for that alone.

People go on about Troublegum and it is a great album, but if you haven't heard Suicide Pact: You First then I don't think you've heard Therapy? at their best. I'm hoping Andy will include a couple of songs from that album in the set.

getting mixed up with names ..I thought the bassist name was fyffe..anyway my love of therapy is mostly pre-troublegum ..nurse,babyteeth and pleasure death was therapy? at their very best..raw,manic and crazy..
    Took your advice checking out some of the songs you name dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

That album unfortunately got overlooked, the songs and playing and sound are top notch. It's blows Troublegum out the water.

getting mixed up with names ..I thought the bassist name was fyffe..anyway my love of therapy is mostly pre-troublegum ..nurse,babyteeth and pleasure death was therapy? at their very best..raw,manic and crazy..
    Took your advice checking out some of the songs you name dropped.

Fair enough, easy mistake. Definitely check out some of the Infernal Love era acoustic tracks. If you like Babyteeth and Pleasure Death you'll almost certainly like Suicide Pact:You First. And those two mini albums would be my favourite Therapy? releases aside from SPYF.

For the early Therapy? fans, check out this monster:

Fyfe's vocals, Andy's hair! It's got everything ;)

Fair enough, easy mistake. Definitely check out some of the Infernal Love era acoustic tracks. If you like Babyteeth and Pleasure Death you'll almost certainly like Suicide Pact:You First. And those two mini albums would be my favourite Therapy? releases aside from SPYF.

For the early Therapy? fans, check out this monster:

Fyfe's vocals, Andy's hair! It's got everything ;)

Intense stuff ..Fyfe's drumming is amazing ..question why did he leave and could he come back,well I guess they have someone else now..still one could dream?

Intense stuff ..Fyfe's drumming is amazing ..question why did he leave and could he come back,well I guess they have someone else now..still one could dream?

I'm not sure why he left. Wikipedia says the press release at the time put it like this:

Therapy? have parted company with drummer Fyfe Ewing. The split is totally amicable, Ewing being unable to cope with the rigors of touring. With Therapy? about to embark on a 5 month US tour to coincide with the release of "Infernal Love" in America a parting of ways was mutually agreed".

Whether that quote is even accurate I'm not sure, but I don't buy it because I've seen Andy interviewed since and when Fyfe was mentioned he seemed pretty bitter about the way it went. He made reference to it being easy for the drummer to blame the songwriters for a dip in the quality of material without taking any of the blame, or something along those lines. It sounded like he was still a bit miffed to be honest and that interview was only a few years back.

Overall my guess would be Fyfe wanted to stick with the raw, punk sound and the Infernal Love material was too distant from that for him, but that's purely a guess.

But I agree with you, his drumming was phenomenal. Aside maybe from JP from Clutch I don't know of a more inventive drummer, he was brilliant. And the way he battered the kit makes the "unable to cope with the rigors of touring" line a bit hard to believe. After Fyfe they got Graham Hopkins who was a monster drummer too and now they have Neil Cooper so at least they've always had a quality drummer, but no one can touch Fyfe.

I doubt there would ever be a classic line-up reunion though, sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

seachto7 wrote: »
    The difference between a randomer in a pub banging out a Therapy? song is it's not a randomer. It's Andy Cairns. That's probably why people will pay to see him. Met him at the hot press music show a few years ago. Very nice bloke.

Of course. I just meant it didn't sound particularly good to my ears is all.

I listened to Suicide religiously when it came out but still troublegum for me.

symbolic wrote: »
    Of course. I just meant it didn't sound particularly good to my ears is all.

I listened to Suicide religiously when it came out but still troublegum for me.

Well, you're right. On the other hand, just because it's Andy Cairns doesn't mean he couldn't be rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sparky138

Anybody know how I could book Andy for a gig?

Sparky138 wrote: »
    Anybody know how I could book Andy for a gig?

http://www.therapyquestionmark.co.uk/contact-us/

Admittedly got the wrong end of the stick on OP ..Wont make the gig but be interested to hear how it goes ..now wonder would he do a cover of potato junkie?

Well, just to update this thread, the gig last night was great.

Andy did about two hours in Whelan's. That included a cover of an Arthur Lee song and maybe 5 new songs (including some from the forthcoming Therapy? album), but otherwise the set consisted of classic Therapy? material. There was nothing from any album after Semi-Detached and he focused on Infernal Love a lot which was great. Highlights included hearing Our Love Must Die, Misery, Sh*tkicker (I couldn't believe it when he played that), and Jude the Obscene. And I can happily report that he did play Potato Junkie :)

He also told a lot of stories and he's a really engaging, funny guy. Brilliant gig!

Thanks for that review GoldenTicket ..apt username is apt!..I see some great vids of the event popping up on utube.

Lol at your man shouting Mutha****er ..wasn't you was it GT?:pac:

Thanks for that review GoldenTicket ..apt username is apt!..I see some great vids of the event popping up on utube.

Lol at your man shouting Mutha****er ..wasn't you was it GT?:pac:

I wish I could say that was me but no, that champion was somewhere behind where I was. He got a great reaction from Andy for his efforts!

Andy did seem genuinely delighted with the way everyone got into the acoustic format. He opened up with Die Laughing and then Opal Mantra. I think Stories was third and during the second chorus he stopped playing and told us we were supposed to be singing along (everyone had been quiet and reverential up to that point). After that it was a singalong until the end!

Thanks for the video link, I hadn't even thought of looking on youtube and I'm really enjoying the videos that are up there :)

Advertisement