Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does any one use a company called Shred-it for secure disposal of documents?

Options
  • 03-03-2014 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

I'm only posting this in Info Security because I work in IS and this is very important to me but please move it to a more appropriate section if needs be!!

I'm just asking because I have been in contact with them regarding safe and secure disposal of company documents that have already been shredded in our office. They sent me an email last week with all the lovely marketing fodder but didnt both to include a quote!!
    I just dont want the shredded docs to be dumped in the everyday bins or left exposed in the recycling bins outside. If anyone can recommend cheap-ish alternatives, I'm all ears:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭industrialhorse

RainyDay wrote: »

:pac::mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭stupid head

Burn them yourself? No?

I wouldn't trust anyone.

Burn them yourself? No?

I wouldn't trust anyone.

Eh no. I dont think its totally responsible to burn anything these days unless its within a controlled environment, which my workplace certainly isnt. I'll let you know how I get on once I come across a decent solution;)

Is it only paper? Get a big Barrel there and watch it burn, have a bag of marshmellows to hold in the flames.:)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/health/probe-into-patient-files-dumped-in-galway-bog-165481.html

• Advertisement

Is it only paper? Get a big Barrel there and watch it burn, have a bag of marshmellows to hold in the flames.:)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/health/probe-into-patient-files-dumped-in-galway-bog-165481.html

Now I understand the reason for your profile name:)

I used to work in the data protection dept of a much-despised bank and came across many data breaches featuring horror stories about clearly legible customer documents being dumped in bogs and rivers and the people who recover these documents almost always demanded a finders fee in return for not going straight to the data protection commissioner about it. Fun times as you can imagine:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

I'd never trust any company to shred any documents, especially after what i seen.

Ordered a spare part for maintenance on a machine where i work. Part came a few days later all boxed up with protective paper shredding. But when i took a closer look it was payslips from a former company i used to work for that was the "protective shredding".

Contacted the former employers just to let them know and thry were extremely annoyed to say the least. Sent all packaging to them. Never heard an outcome.

They had nothing to do with the packaging or suppliers of the spare part, so you want to be very careful as to what you send for disposal out into the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I'm only posting this in Info Security because I work in IS and this is very important to me but please move it to a more appropriate section if needs be!!

I'm just asking because I have been in contact with them regarding safe and secure disposal of company documents that have already been shredded in our office. They sent me an email last week with all the lovely marketing fodder but didnt both to include a quote!!
    I just dont want the shredded docs to be dumped in the everyday bins or left exposed in the recycling bins outside. If anyone can recommend cheap-ish alternatives, I'm all ears:)

We use shred-it and have never had any issues with them in regards to security. Locked drop boxes provided for the disposal of paper by employees and then once every 2 weeks they come in open the boxes, seal the bags and away it goes.

hallo dare wrote: »
    I'd never trust any company to shred any documents, especially after what i seen.

Ordered a spare part for maintenance on a machine where i work. Part came a few days later all boxed up with protective paper shredding. But when i took a closer look it was payslips from a former company i used to work for that was the "protective shredding".

Contacted the former employers just to let them know and thry were extremely annoyed to say the least. Sent all packaging to them. Never heard an outcome.

They had nothing to do with the packaging or suppliers of the spare part, so you want to be very careful as to what you send for disposal out into the public.

That is complete madness:eek: and the fact that they never followed up with you about the incident just shows their total disregard for data protection and a lack of adherence to their own company policy.

At this stage I think I would be better off just reaching for the box of matches.......

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Request any of the companies listed above to come on-site, do the shredding under supervision and then certify the destruction. Most have mobile shredding facilities which can be monitored.

• Advertisement

ifah wrote: »
    Request any of the companies listed above to come on-site, do the shredding under supervision and then certify the destruction. Most have mobile shredding facilities which can be monitored.

That would definitely be my preference but I have to consider the costs too as we are a pretty small software company and our shredder is only something basic from Argos or wherever and it only needs to be emptied once a week on average. I might be going a bit overboard but I'm responsible for this and I just want to avoid a data breach involving paper at all costs

something basic from Argos or wherever and it only needs to be emptied once a week on average. I might be going a bit overboard but I'm responsible for this and I just want to avoid a data breach

Forget the barrel, a little bucket will do.

I must be missing something, cuz im so stupid like, why ur willing to pay big money for something that may or may not be done, that u can easily do yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I must be missing something, cuz im so stupid like, why ur willing to pay big money for something that may or may not be done, that u can easily do yourself.

Data protection laws state that certain information MUST be disposed of safely and securely hence the huge market for these companies.

Companies just starting a fire out the back of the premises is unprofessional and possibly even illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

bumper234 wrote: »
    Companies just starting a fire out the back of the premises is unprofessional and possibly even illegal.
    As of 2009, it is.

I am not willing to pay big money. I am hunting around for the best quote possible but two companies who have been in contact so far wont include their price for some strange reason. Basically if they are cheap and reasonable, I will consider them. Other than that I am not interested in what they have to offer

bedlam wrote: »
    What do you consider cheap? Take the cost of an off the shelf shredder add in the man hour costs to shred what you have and base it off that, you'll find most of these companies will be far cheaper than doing it your self.

Well you are quite right about that so I have decided that I will use some heavy green sacks for the shredded docs and they will be disposed of in commercial waste bins which are collected weekly. My manager is happy enough to accept this risk and so am I

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Well you are quite right about that so I have decided that I will use some heavy green sacks for the shredded docs and they will be disposed of in commercial waste bins which are collected weekly. My manager is happy enough to accept this risk and so am I

Considering how the thread started, that's an awful outcome :(

We use ShredIT and they shred on site.

RangeR wrote: »
    Considering how the thread started, that's an awful outcome :(

We use ShredIT and they shred on site.

Yeh I know its not the outcome I was hoping for either but I'm severely restricted by our budget and we don't tend to print a lot of stuff or leave any paper laying around the office.
    Although in saying that, I recently moved desk and the previous occupant of my new desk left a lot of internal documents in the drawer and even though he said I could just dispose of this stuff (didnt even offer to clear his own crap that he left there!!), I had a quick look at the documents before shredding and there was a fair amount of hand written stuff which in my opinion could be viewed as intellectual property, either belonging to the company or the person who produced the documents!! I'm really starting to doubt that I'm cut out for this information security malarkey:(

Advertisement