Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AR/tist in the spotlight this week- pa4

Options
  • 04-02-2014 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭

So time for me to hand over and I thought I'd keep the middle distance theme going. Anyone who follows this guys log knows how seriously impressive his running is (a 16:25 5k and a recent 9:24 3k), especially as he only started running a little over two years ago! Hopefully he can shed some light on his training for us.

So I'll get us started:

Why did you start running?
    What club do you run with?
    Favourite distance?
    Indoors or outdoors?
    Where did you get the name pa4 from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

pa4's log

Favourite sessions?
    Least favourite sessions?
    Highlight of your running career so far?
    And low point?
    How did you find this forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Thanks pconn! :)

Why did you start running?
    I come from a running family and I used to run when I was younger and gave up when I was 11. I made a brief 6 month comeback when I was 14 but stopped again. I never lost my interest in running and although I didn't train I always watched it. During my first year of college I had planned on getting back but kept putting it on the long finger but finally started back during the summer of 2011. I think the main reasons for coming back was seeing how well my peers were doing who I used to beat. I used to beat the likes of mark english and sean tobin before I stopped so after seeing them do so well the fire in my stomach came back and I wanted to see how good I could get!

What club do you run with?
    I run with Thurles in Tipperary. It's mainly a XC and road orientated club but I'm lucky to have access to a track 10 minutes away so that's where I do all my sessions. I'm kind of like an honourary member of that club at this stage!

Favourite distance?
    Favourite distance would probably be a 5k. Not to short and not too long. I do enjoy running 800/1500 on track but 5k would be my best distance.

Indoors or outdoors?
    A tough one but I'll have to go with outdoors. I really do love both but you can't beat the outdoors on a warm summers day :)

Where did you get the name pa4 from?
    Well my name is patrick but most people just call me pa but to be honest I have no idea where the 4 came out off! I wanted something short and easy to remember so I just kinda made it up without thinking!

Favourite sessions?
    Favourite session would be 5x1k or 5x1mile. I enjoy the longer intervals and I get into a rhythm with the pace if I'm feeling good. They feel strangely relaxing!

Least favourite sessions?
    Least favourite on the track would be 300's. I've never had a session of 300's where I'm feeling good. Usual when I'm doing them I'm going at close to 200m pace so you can imagine keeping that going for an extra 100m! Off track would be a session of 1 minute hard 1 minute slow. I don't know what it is about this session but I just find it so tough slowing down and then having to accelerate again, really feel it in the lungs.

Highlight of your running career so far?
    The highlight so far would be winning my county intermediate road championships last year. I came in a shock second in the novice 2 weeks beforehand and really did not expect to win the intermediate. It was an 8k and I ended up going through 6k faster than I did for the novice and ran about 30 seconds faster than I thought I was capable off. It was just the perfect race and I felt so good. I think it will be hard to beat that race, it was my first big win and it was just such a good feeling cross the finish line!

And low point?
    The lowest point for me would be my county novice XC back in October. I ended up coming in 7th in a race I should have won. I had beaten everyone that was ahead of me that day but I just felt completely flat. It was just a terrible race and I was so frustrated afterwards because I knew I could have won it on any other day.

How did you find this forum?
    I first found this forum in 2009/2010 when searching for something online. I remember coming across a thread about whatever it was I was looking for, can't remember what it was but I know it was something controversial and was causing quite a stir! I tried finding the forum again a few weeks later but couldn't remember the name and eventual joined in 2010. I didn't even join for the running forum at the time I just had a question to ask in the leaving cert forum. My account was dorment for a couple of years again until I rediscovered this forum and decided to start posting and thought it'd be a good idea to start a training log after reading some others, I'm surprised I even remembered my username and password for my account!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

- Have you / do you run the intervarsities?
    - Typical weeks training during the winter vs summer
    - Ever been to a major athletics meet?
    - Did you partake in neknomination?
    - Any unhealthy vices?
    - Do you do any weights training?
    - Favourite track in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Hi pa!

- where do you go to college

- why are you studying engineering?

- what kind of engineering are you studying? I know there are different types but can you give a small explanation of what you do please

- where do you see yourself in 5 years

- do you have a girlfriend/partner. If yes what does she do?

- did you win any races when you were younger

- do you play any other sports

- any bad injuries

- favourite music, book and film

- can you cook? what kind of food do you usually cook

- favourite holiday destination

- if you could live someone else's life who would you choose

• Advertisement

Have you / do you run the intervarsities?
    I've only ever raced the intervarsities twice both of which were the road relays in 2011 and 2012. I always have great intentions of doing it and wanted to do the outdoors last year but wasn't put on the team for some reason! I plan on doing the XC and track this year though. The XC is on the 8th of March in Cork and I think the outdoors are on around mid April.

Typical weeks training during the winter vs summer
    The winter usually consists of strength training such as longer intervals, hills and tempo runs. It's really just to build a base for the indoors and outdoors by getting in a few months of uninterrupted training. This year I didn't start doing shorter stuff such as 200's and 400's until January for the indoors. At the moment since I probably wont be racing until the intervarsity XC and since my indoor season is over I'll be again doing mainly strength work such.

During the summer I do more race specific training and shorter intervals. The times are usually much faster and most of my sessions would be on the track. I'd be racing a lot more during the summer too so my mileage wouldn't be as high.

Ever been to a major athletics meet?
    I was at the European athletics championships in Barcelona is 2010 before I got back running. A brilliant experience watching the likes of Mo Farah and Jessica Ennis and a great atmosphere :)

Did you partake in neknomination?
    Not a hope! I told my friends that I'd refuse to do it and not to bother nominating me. :P

Any unhealthy vices?
    Extreme fast food binges! Me and a friend often do food challenges and try and eat as much as physically possible.. really not a good idea! Usually it just turns me off fast food and I won't eat any for a few weeks until that sudden urge comes back.

Do you do any weights training?
    No not at the moment. I did a bit of strength and conditioning training last year but completely lost motivation for it. I always have great plans for going back doing it but its just not half as fun as running!

Favourite track in Ireland?
    Although I've only raced in it once last year it'd have to be the morton track. I did one of the IMC 800m races at the Morton games last year and there was a great atmosphere there and I like the surface too.

Hi pa!
    Hi career_move!

where do you go to college
    Waterford Institute of Technology.

why are you studying engineering?
    I suppose I always liked engineering in school and I like the maths side of it too. It was always the type of work I could see myself doing. When I was filling out my CAO I really couldn't think of anything else to put down either!

what kind of engineering are you studying? I know there are different types but can you give a small explanation of what you do please
    I'm studying Civil Engineering. Taken from the internet because I'm crap at explaining it: 'Civil engineering is a professional engineering discipline that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment, including works like roads, bridges, dams, and buildings'. Basically it involves a lot of design work hence the large amount of maths. An architect will design something but its the Civil Engineer that will make it happen. They could design some really weird shape and we have to make sure that it'll stand up by taking into account the various loads that will act on the structure and then design adequate size beams, columns etc.

where do you see yourself in 5 years
    In 5 years I'll be 26 so hopefully I'll have a full time job in the field of Civil Engineering. I don't want to emigrate so hopefully by the time I'm finished college things will have picked up.

I can definitely see myself still running, at that stage I'll only be reaching the peek running age so if I can beat all of my dads old running times I'll be happy! Some are quite fast so I won't be surprised if it takes 5 years to reach that level!

do you have a girlfriend/partner. If yes what does she do?
    No not at the moment. Who needs a girlfriend when I have running :P Ok maybe I wouldn't mind a girlfriend.. it might give me some extra motivation!

did you win any races when you were younger
    Ya I used to win a few when I was younger. Never anything major like Munsters or All Irelands but I was always well up there in those races, have a few individual Munster and All Ireland medals from when I was a juvenile.

do you play any other sports
    No just running at the moment. I definitely wouldn't have time for any other sports now but I played a bit of everything as a young lad such as hurling and soccer, went through a phase of basketball when I stopped running too.

any bad injuries
    I've been very lucky not to have any serious injuries other than the usual niggles any runner experiences. There is once injury that knocked me out for a few weeks when I was a young lad. I strained my hip flexor and every step I took I was in constant pain. The only thing that could help it was complete rest.

favourite music, book and film
    When it comes to music I have a fairly broad taste. I like anything from traditional/country music to a bit of R&B.

Favourite book would be a brief history of time by Stephen Hawking. Such a mind blowing book about the universe and time travel and all that weird stuff explained in such a way for a normal person to understand it. I'll still go back and re read random chapters.

Hard to pick a favourite film, so many good ones too choose from but some of the favourite include the shawshank redemption, pulp fiction, the godfather, lord of the rings, back to the future

can you cook? what kind of food do you usually cook
    I'm decent enough at cooking so I'll never starve anyway! I usually just cook the usual patatos and veg with whatever else, tonight for instance I'll fry up some cod for myself since I'm home alone. I'll still try and take the easiest option when I'm left to cook for myself such as a pasta salad or a chicken fillet.

favourite holiday destination
    I like the sun and anywhere that is hot so probably Spain or Portugal! I love those stereotypical sun holidays with the beach and the pool where I can just relax and have no worries!

if you could live someone else's life who would you choose
    That's a hard one, if it was running related I'd chose somebody like Nick Symmonds. It'd be class too be that good and too be able to train and race at such a high level travelling around the world for races. Plus everyone loves Nick Symmonds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Do you have a coach? Do you follow his/her plan exactly?

Do you train with a group at college or your club?

What are your long-term running targets times/distances?

Who are/were your running heros ?

What do you get out of keeping a training log here?

Do you regret not keeping running through your teens?
    Do you think you could be up there with the likes of English if you kept it going?
    Given your running family background, did you get stick for not running at the time?
    Do they give you support/encouragement now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I was waiting for Racoon Queen to ask this one but I'll go ahead....

Favourite flavour of crisps?

my next question is stolen form marathontalk...
    If you had 6 months of perfect training, no injuries, no job/college, lots of support physios etc. how fast would you run a mile?

Do you think the break from running was good for you or do you wish you kept it going since you were young?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Greatest male athlete of all time?
    Greatest female athlete of all time?
    Prerace meal?
    McDonald's or Burger King?
    Chinese or Indian?
    Most embarrassing running related story?
    Do you commute to college?
    Which subject/module of your course do you find the toughest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Are you a regular drinker, if at all?
    Do you think your social life is affected by running?
    Do you live in student accommodation, a shared house, or live at home? (this may be covered by TRR's question above)
    Are you a soccer fan? If so what team do you support?
    Would you consider yourself to be flexible? (muscle-flexibility, not time!)
    How many push-ups can you do?
    What is the one aspect of training you think you need to improve on most?
    What is your main goal for the coming year, running-wise?
    Same question as above, only non-running related.

-Dara

Do you have a coach? Do you follow his/her plan exactly?
    Ya I have a coach. I usually get a 7 day plan at the beginning of every week and follow that. I'd follow it fairly directly, the most I'd change would be switching around days to suit college or if I'm tired.

Do you train with a group at college or your club?
    I train with a group from the club. Theres around 4-5 of us around the same level with similar aims so it suits to train with them. I'm living at home at the moment since I'm going on work placement soon so I wouldn't have the chance to train with the college.

What are your long-term running targets times/distances?
    For this year anyway my main aim is to run as close as possible to 15:40 for 5k. It might be a big overly ambitious but I'll stick to it anyway! Long term I suppose would be to again try and improve my 5k time but I'd also like to run a good 10k too. I've only ran 2 before but I think I could run a good one if I trained specifically for it. With regards times I'd like to beat my fathers old times, theres some very fast ones so it'll take a good few years if I even have any chance of managing it, 5k is 14:06 and 10k is 29:45 so its nothing to be sniffed at! Plenty of years ahead of me anyway!

Who are/were your running heros ?
    I used to love watch Michael Johnson when I was younger. The first major championships I can remember was the Sydney Olympics and I just thought he was brilliant with his distinctive upright style. Sonia O Sullivan was another big one, I can still remember where I was listening to her race on the radio when she won the silver medal. It was good to have such a talented Irish athlete to look up too, looking back on it her achievements and times were phenomenal.

What do you get out of keeping a training log here?
    For me having a log is more of a mental thing than anything. I like to be able to look back on my training, by logging it I won't forget it and I feel I get more benefit out of the training I do and hearing other peoples opinions on it. It's kinda hard to explain.. a weeks training just feels more complete by writing it down. Its weird but its purely a mental thing!

Do you regret not keeping running through your teens?
    That's a hard one to answer to be honest. I do and I don't. I regret it in the way that I could be so much better now. Beating some of the athletes I did as a young lad and seeing where they are now makes me wonder 'what if'. Of course it doesn't necessarily mean that I'd be as good as them since we were only around 13/14 and maybe if I did keep it on I mightn't be even running now!

In another sense I don't regret it at all. I don't feel I missed out on the usual teenager stuff that I would of if I was training hard. I experienced college for everything its worth in first year and don't regret any of it. I have a much better attitude towards running now and I appreciate it more and I'm happy with the progress I'm making. If I dwell to much on the 'what ifs' it could be more damaging to myself mentally and physically through training too hard.

Do you think you could be up there with the likes of English if you kept it going?
    English is an unbelievable athlete so its a really hard one to say, as I said if I did keep going it doesn't mean I would be that good but I suppose there's always that possibility. I don't want to say I would be that good because it'd take away from the sheer hard work he has put in and the determination he has. I mightn't have ever being willing or able to work that hard. This is one question I'll never be able to answer!

Given your running family background, did you get stick for not running at the time?
    Not once was I ever pushed into running. If I didn't want to race I didn't have too. I remember wanting to start running so bad when I was very young because my parents and siblings were so it was purely my own choice to begin with. My parents always made it clear that it was my choice and that they wouldn't push me into it.

Do they give you support/encouragement now?
    I get great support from my family because they understand the running lifestyle. I think its very hard for people to understand running when they don't run themselves, too anyone else we must be crazy! They'll always bring me too races and come to cheer me on and they always got me new runners or gear whenever I needed it.

Favourite flavour of crisps?
    Chilli, the hotter the better!

how fast would you run a mile?
    I've never actualy raced a mile but judging on my 1500m PB from last year I could probably do around 4:40 at the moment. With the perfect training etc for 6 months I'd like to think I could break the 4:30 barrier. Think thats around 67 seconds per 400m so it's fairly fast, around 4:11 pace for 1500! Who knows though, a lot can happen in 6 months and with the perfect training, no job/college and basically living like an elite athlete it could be possible :)

Do you think the break from running was good for you or do you wish you kept it going since you were young?
    A similar question asked by dna_leri which answers this question too :)

Greatest male athlete of all time?
    Kenenisa Bekele without a doubt in my opinion. Just unbelievable times that don't like their going to be beaten anytime soon!

Greatest female athlete of all time?
    A much harder one too pick but I think Paula Radcliffe deserves this title in my opinion. Her marathon world record is incredible and not too mention all of her other times/achievements. A pity she never won an Olympic gold.

Prerace meal?
    If the race is on in the evening I'll have pasta for dinner. If its on in the morning I'll have porridge and toast and maybe a banana about an hour and a half before the race.

McDonald's or Burger King?
    McDonald's, never really was a fan of Burger King.

Chinese or Indian?
    Chinese. There's only a few Indian dishes I'll eat and since nobody else in my house eats Indian its always a Chinese if were getting a takeaway. Sweet and sour chicken cantonese style with cashew nuts.. absolutely lovely :D

A race I did last year I was wearing these cheap fair of really short shorts that had gotten extremely loose.. the minute the gun went off my bits popped out and kept coming coming out the whole race :o I had to keep popping them back in the whole race!

Do you commute to college?
    Ya I do this year since it works out cheaper than paying accommodation and I don't have much hours so its works out nicely :)

Which subject/module of your course do you find the toughest?
    Structural design by far and I think the rest of my class will agree with me on that one! It's all designing buildings and stuff and involves a lot of maths. Its fairly complex and there's so much in it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

pa4 wrote: »
    [

A race I did last year I was wearing these cheap fair of really short shorts that had gotten extremely loose.. the minute the gun went off my bits popped out and kept coming coming out the whole race :o I had to keep popping them back in the whole race!

Ha, that's frickin hilarious!! :D You need compression shorts!

Are you a regular drinker, if at all?
    I rarely do nowadays. Last year I only drank a hand full of times. I've quietened down a lot from when I was in first year of college but I like heading out with the lads every now and then for a few :) I can't seem to hold my drink at all anymore!

Do you think your social life is affected by running?
    I probably would be heading out a lot more if I wasn't running but I won't say that it affects me in a bad way. I enjoy myself much more when I do go out because I'm not doing it every week and its something to luck forward to. :)

Do you live in student accommodation, a shared house, or live at home? (this may be covered by TRR's question above)
    Answered above, living at home :)

Are you a soccer fan? If so what team do you support?
    Ya I enjoy soccer, I wouldn't be a huge fan but I'll always check up the results every weekend and I'll watch the big matches. Nobody believes me when I tell them but I support Bradford City and have been since they were in the premier league back in 2001! I don't no what made me pick them, all my friends were supporting Man Utd or one of the other top teams and I didn't want to support them and I liked Bradfords jersey at the time so I got it as a present and started supporting them!

Would you consider yourself to be flexible? (muscle-flexibility, not time!)
    I've bad enough flexibility. I can barely touch my toes without bending my knees but I started doing exercises to make me more flexible and they seem to be working so I'm getting better :)

How many push-ups can you do?
    I haven't done a push up since last year so not very many I'd say, I was never great at them anyway!

What is the one aspect of training you think you need to improve on most
    I think it'd be to increase mileage and overall strength. At the moment I'm only tipping around 50 miles a week. My speed is grand for the distances I'm training for but I think I'm still lacking overall strength for the longer distances.

What is your main goal for the coming year, running-wise?
    Main goal would be to get as close as possible to 15:40 for 5k. I'd also like to run a good 10k time and if I get the chance I'd like to run close to 4:10 for 1500. A bit ambitious but no harm in aiming high :)

Same question as above, only non-running related.
    Hmm.. I actually have no idea. Usually I'd set some goals for myself with regards to college exams or something but since I'm starting work placement in 2 weeks until August I really don't know! It leaves me with a lot to think about, I'll get back to you on this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Great pick

Favourite taper session (week of a big race)?
    Olympic Gold or WR?
    Predictions for Irish athletes in 2014?
    Race most looking forward to watching this year?
    Coffee or Tea (ye mad country folk usually love your tae :P)?
    Best session split times (any session) vs race that closest followed said session?
    What track spikes do you wear?
    Favourite current athlete (male and female)?

pconn062 wrote: »

Got a lovely pair for Christmas, badly needed! Never gonna let that happen again :P

Favourite taper session (week of a big race)?
    200's or anything short. It always gives me a good indication on what shape I'm in.

Olympic Gold or WR?
    Definitely Olympic gold! Records will be broken but you'll always have the Olympic gold. Its one thing every athlete dreams of having.

Predictions for Irish athletes in 2014?
    Rob Heffernan for the gold at the europeans.
    Mark English to make the final of the 800 and semi final at world indoors.
    Paul Robinson to make the final of the 1500 and David McCarthy to perform well too.
    I think they'll be the standouts this year. All of them are in unreal shape at the moment with Robinson running well down under too so they'll be interesting to watch if they can carry it over to the summer!

Race most looking forward to watching this year?
    Really looking forward to the world indoors and europeans. I suppose the races I'm most looking forward too are the ones with the athletes mentioned above. The races I enjoy watching the most are the 1500 and 3000/5000.

Coffee or Tea (ye mad country folk usually love your tae :P)?
    Tea without a doubt :D I'll drink around 5-6 cups a day! I drink coffee too but ya can't beat a good cup of tae :P Last night the electricity in our house at home went during the storm and the first thing anyone complained about was not being able to boil the kettle for a cup of tea!

Best session split times (any session) vs race that closest followed said session?

Nike Matumbos. Probably the best purchase of spikes I ever made. So comfortable and suit my style of running perfectly. The first session I wore with them was for 200s and I felt I was gliding. They say that their made for 3000-5000m but I think their great for the shorter stuff too.

Favourite current athlete (male and female)?
    Currently for this year(2014):
    Male: Galen Rupp. He's doing incredible at the moment with 2 American records and a great athlete too watch. He's in pure beast mode at the moment, can't wait too see how he does at the world indoors :)

Female: Genzebe Dibaba. A pleasure to watch like her older sister. She's flying it at the moment with two world records in such a short period of time, again I can't wait too watch her at the worlds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Nike Matumbos. Probably the best purchase of spikes I ever made. So comfortable and suit my style of running perfectly. The first session I wore with them was for 200s and I felt I was gliding. They say that their made for 3000-5000m but I think their great for the shorter stuff too.

+1 on the Matumbos - my choice for 800s too.

Did you miss a questions on the session splits times?

dna_leri wrote: »

Lanangs through and through :D

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »

Did you miss a questions on the session splits times?

The first 800m I wore using them I took 3 seconds of my PB, personally I think their more comfortable than the Nike Victories. Just seen I missed that question there, thanks for the reminder :)

The first that springs to mind was a session I did early last year. The session was 4x1 mile with a 3 minute recovery in 5:20s. By no means an easy session and didn't feel I could have gone any faster. This session was on a tuesday if I remember correctly and I was running a 3 mile road race on the Saturday. I did 15:57 for the race which is 5:19 pace so I basically kept my session pace going for 3 miles in a race.

Another session I did just before Christmas was 5x1k with a 90 sec recovery with an average pace of 3:09. Ended up doing 9:24 (3:08 pace) for a 3k a few weeks ago so that gave me a good indication on what time I was capable of at that time.

I'm sure theres other good examples I could use that I can't think of off the top of my head, I'd have to go looking through the training diary :)

The first 800m I wore using them I took 3 seconds of my PB, personally I think their more comfortable than the Nike Victories. Just seen I missed that question there, thanks for the reminder :)

The first that springs to mind was a session I did early last year. The session was 4x1 mile with a 3 minute recovery in 5:20s. By no means an easy session and didn't feel I could have gone any faster. This session was on a tuesday if I remember correctly and I was running a 3 mile road race on the Saturday. I did 15:57 for the race which is 5:19 pace so I basically kept my session pace going for 3 miles in a race.

Another session I did just before Christmas was 5x1k with a 90 sec recovery with an average pace of 3:09. Ended up doing 9:24 (3:08 pace) for a 3k a few weeks ago so that gave me a good indication on what time I was capable of at that time.

I'm sure theres other good examples I could use that I can't think of off the top of my head, I'd have to go looking through the training diary :)

Looks like they were spot on to be honest. Thought it was a relevant question given its a topic which has popped up across the forum in last few days regarding racing workouts

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

pconn062 wrote: »

I read "You need compression socks" first and nearly p!ssed myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

1) What are your PBs over all distances from 100m and up?

2) You are legally allowed to punch one (and only one) athletics drug cheat. Who and why?

3) Do you race indoor? Have you competed in Athlone yet?

4) 3 things that need to change to make athletics more popular in Ireland among the general public?

5) Favourite Winter Olympic sport? Least favourite Winter Olympic sport?

6) Your strongest and weakest points as an athlete?

7) Opinions on ultra running?

8) What field events have you tried in the past? Any success stories?

1) What are your PBs over all distances from 100m and up?
    I've never raced anything under 800m so I'm not to sure what I could do from 100-400.

800 - 2:05:73
    1500 - 4:19:45
    3000 - 9:24:72
    3 miles - 15:57
    5k - 16:25
    6k - 20:15
    4 miles - 21:30
    8k - 27:04
    10k - 35:25
    10 miles - 58:55

2) You are legally allowed to punch one (and only one) athletics drug cheat. Who and why?
    Dwain Chambers springs to mind immediately. I have no time for him at all especially with the whole BALCO scandal.

3) Do you race indoor? Have you competed in Athlone yet?
    Ya I do I did 2 indoor races in January one of which was in Athlone. I've raced in Athlone three times in total. Lovely track :)

4) 3 things that need to change to make athletics more popular in Ireland among the general public?
    This is a good question. There's such a huge amount of people running in Ireland yet more than half are only recreational runners who wouldn't be involved in clubs or don't race. I think a lot of the time these people feel intimidated against joining clubs or racing. I know a lot of clubs now have fit for life which is great. My own club started a meet and train group last year which consists of around 30 women who never ran in their lives. Now their running distances from 5k to 10 milers. If more clubs starting something like this people wouldn't mind joining because they'd be running with people at their own level.

Another thing I find applies to my own club that occurs when coaching the juveniles. Most of the kids play other sports such as soccer and GAA which is normal for most kids that age. The coaches treat athletics as a second sport to them. If the kids have a match at the weekend they'll go easy on the kids in training whereas if the kids had a race on a Sunday I cant imagine the GAA coaches going easy on them. I can see it in my own club that its severely holding back the development of these young athletes. The coaches are putting GAA over athletics in an athletic club. It makes absolutely no sense and the club will just end up losing athletes to these sports. Athletics should come first when training for athletics. Just like GAA or soccer comes first when their training for soccer. Now most of these kids have it in their head that running is just a second sport to them whcih their just doing for fitness for the likes of hurling. Attitudes like this need to change or athletics will always be a minority sport.

5) Favourite Winter Olympic sport? Least favourite Winter Olympic sport?

Favourite - Bobsleigh. Love watching it and love the movie cool runnings. Its the first sport that springs to mind when I hear winter Olympics.

Least Favourite - Curling. Not really a sport but I can understand that it requires skill. Just don't find it interesting!

6) Your strongest and weakest points as an athlete?
    Strongest - I'm fairly tough when it comes to training and racing. I think I'm good at pushing myself when I'm tired and I wont give up. I've never dropped out of a race and rarely ever cut a session short. I'm dedicated to what I do and I'm consistent. I can't remember the last time I've missed a day other than being sick or injured.

Weakest - Every now and then I have a go and strength and conditioning training. I only ever last a few weeks and end up giving up at it. I know it'll benefit me and I want to be able to do it but I just don't have the same dedication for it.

7) Opinions on ultra running?
    Personally I wouldn't like to become an ultra runner myself, I'd find it boring and I think it'd just turn me off running. I respect them though and I know some people will say that their not running fast and all that but it requires great physical and mental strength to stay going for such distances. By no means an easy sport and they train very hard.

8) What field events have you tried in the past? Any success stories?
    I've never competed in any field events, not even when I was younger. I always wanted to give some a try but never ended up doing any. I messed around with the high jump and javelin when I was in school during PE. I was handy enough at the high jump compared to the rest of the class but I can't imagine I jumped very high! Javelin was a different story, I'm terrible at throwing things :P

How do you like to relax in the evening?
    Do you have plans to run a marathon at any stage?
    Do you prefer training in a group or on your own?
    What is the general standard of running in Offaly like?
    Do you like cross country running?
    Biggest advantage/advantage of being in a club?

How do you like to relax in the evening?
    Usually after a long day of college and after my run I like to sit down by the fire and just watch television and go on the internet. I like to tune off my brain from the long day. Usually I'm fairly tired in the evening if I have college so all as I want to do is relax and do nothing.

Do you have plans to run a marathon at any stage?
    I'll definitely run a marathon at some stage in my life. It won't be for a long time but its something I'd love to do. It mightn't be for like 10 years, I'd like to get the best out of myself over the shorter distances first and then move up to the marathon.

Do you prefer training in a group or on your own?
    Lately I've been doing a lot of training on my own and have been enjoying it. I don't mind training in a group but every now and then I go through phases of training on my own. A lot of my best sessions were on my own because I felt I had to push myself more since there was nobody pacing me so it worked out for the better. I think that its important to be able to train alone and not rely on somebody too run with because there will come days where you have to do a tough session or long run on your own and it could make training very difficult. Overall I prefer training on my own.

I think you mean Tipperary! The standard in Tipp has improved a fair bit in the last few years at both track and XC. In 2012 they came 4th in the national novice and in 2013 came 3rd. A few years ago we didn't have any teams at all. The general standard at road races has come up a fair bit too. There's a fair few people capable of running well in the 16-17 minute range for 5k and sub 35 for 10k.

Do you like cross country running?
    I have a love hate relationship with XC. If its not mucky I love it but I just hate the muck. I like the way there's no pressure about running fast times, its just go out and race and get into a good position. I much prefer track and road running but I'd give XC a go. I'm not too bad at it either, it seems to suit me and my training since I train for middle distance and I get great benefit from it.

Biggest advantage/advantage of being in a club?
    The biggest advantage is being able to run championship races. If I wasn't in a club I wouldn't be running at Munsters or All Irelands. Its good to have a group of people to train with too and being able to use the facilities the club might have. Theres much more support by being with a club when your running races and its a good way of socializing/make new friends.

There isn't much disadvantages of running with a club but there is one thing that stands out for me. A lot of people join clubs for the social aspect and being able to train with a group and make friends, a lot of them don't have any intentions of racing or least not racing championship races. I see people like this being pressured into running championship races and being guilted into it or they'll let the team down. I've seen people leave my club because they've been forced and pressured into racing. It can be hard to say no if your new to the club. I've even heard people telling other people that they've no business running if your not going to race. I know its not like this with most clubs but its definitely the case with my own club (although of course I don't agree with it). If you don't want to race they don't want you there.

I think you mean Tipperary! The standard in Tipp has improved a fair bit in the last few years at both track and XC. In 2012 they came 4th in the national novice and in 2013 came 3rd. A few years ago we didn't have any teams at all. The general standard at road races has come up a fair bit too. There's a fair few people capable of running well in the 16-17 minute range for 5k and sub 35 for 10k.

Oh wow, my bad, sorry! And of all the counties to insult you with I go with Offaly!

Advertisement