Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Ninja Snow Risk - Saturday 4th Jan.

• 03-01-2014 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Opening up a seperate thread to concentrate on tomorrow's sneeky snow risk.

Currently its looking very borderground. Yes the ppn is there to cause some good accumulations but im a bit worried on dewpoints on the nmm.

Heres the best of the bunch atm.

NAE 12pm tomorrow.

287086.png

850 temps just decent enough for midlands
    287088.png

Dps are good
    287089.png

NMM though has more of high ground in the east at risk.

Roll on the next runs! * fingers crossed! *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭highdef

Will be watching this like a hawk as my location at home and immediate surroundings could put me at risk if the NAE verifies.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭omicron

287093.png

High ground certainly likely to see something anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Any chance of snow for Dublin or is it just the NW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Dublin and Wicklow hills Sallys Gap will have snow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Kippure wrote: »
    Dublin and Wicklow hills Sallys Gap will have snow.

Noted that now, obviously after your experince of Canada, you don't rate them as mountains anymore? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Noted that now, obviously after your experince of Canada, you don't rate them as mountains anymore? :D

Quality never laughed so much....
    THE Dublin and Wicklow Rockies will Have Blizzards.
    Wicklows Sally Gap Mountain Pass will Have Serious Drifts ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Typical situation where Cavan and Monaghan see decent snow and the rest of the country under precipitation sees sleet at best (at low lying areas). Still one to follow though.

Will have to borrow a land rover so and head up the mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭mumo3

I've just been out for a short walk in Dublin 22 I thought my inner ears where going to explode from the wind chill it's is freezing out side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭lolie

Bbc weather just showing a small band of rain/snow moving up along the east early tomorrow then a few small showers following behind.
    Nothing like the charts posted above:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Latest NAE has pushed the snow risk further west with the precipitation going further west. Although probably a now-cast situation.

Latest NAE has pushed the snow risk further west with the precipitation going further west. Although probably a now-cast situation.

Will be interesting to see what the 12 Z gfs shows (even though its not high res), the 06z run only has the precipitation affecting the E coast and inland E to a certain extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

If I don't wake up tomorrow to find a ninja snowman in my back garden I'm gonna be very disappointed.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkA8mSktwjvxtQ1Un0dIPgw8jzvtIjRnIUCDNeQktaslNM-NXPNA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭mumo3

I seriously want to follow this but don't think id be able for the heartache if nothing comes of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Does anyone know if we will have snow in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

mumo3 wrote: »
    I seriously want to follow this but don't think id be able for the heartache if nothing comes of it :(

Oh I feel exactly the same way but I still want to follow it despite knowing we'll get nothing over here already!!!!!

Snow-addict, me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭prunudo

I look forward to a good dump of snow as much as the next snow bunny but I have to ask. What's ninja snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,691 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

jvan wrote: »
    I look forward to a good dump of snow as much as the next snow bunny but I have to ask. What's ninja snow?

Stealthy, unexpected snow. The kind that sneaks up and takes you unawares when you're preoccupied with storms and rain, that occasional surprise overnight fall when cold air is dragged in and the dewpoints fall a bit. It usually disappears just as quick.

I like to think of it as Keyser Snowse......

88129ba7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭prunudo

That's makes sense, basically what it says on the tin. I was over thinking the meaning.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

12z GFS not showing much promise of anything (well NIMBY).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

DP's and 850 temps are up slightly on the 12z NAE for tomorrow afternoon compared to the earlier run.

Latest Hirlam has that wee system further east than the NAE and gives some snowfall over parts of the east, (probably on the Wicklow Mtns)

Precip Chart

201401031200-201401041000.png

Snow Chart

• Registered Users Posts: 16,533 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25585110

this would be the ultimate ninja snow. we can but dream...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Nothing too organized so a nowcasting event as we follow clusters of mixed wintry showers on radar tomorrow. Probably quite variable results and somewhat elevation based, chances of a temporary covering of snow may range from 10% at sea level to 70% above 300m. Covering would be defined as 2-5 cm lasting perhaps a few hours. Also risk of hail and snow pellets from some of these showers. A high probability of 5-8 cm covering in higher parts of the country above 500m. This will last overnight and melt in the milder conditions mid-day Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Usually here in the west when we have the precipitation its not cold enough for snow and when it gets cold enough for snow there is no percipitation so annoying:mad:

Latest Hirlam has that wee system further east than the NAE and gives some snowfall over parts of the east, (probably on the Wicklow Mtns)

Precip Chart

Snow Chart

That looks like snow for Dublin ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

That looks like snow for Dublin ?!

Mountains most probably !

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we will have snow in Cork?

As a fellow Cork person your question made me laugh... we had substantial snow in 2010... that was our quota until 2110 :D

Latest NAE placing precip in Eastern parts again like Hirlam 12z, fancy the Wicklow mountains could do well enough, eastern NI too.

• Advertisement

Latest NAE placing precip in Eastern parts again like Hirlam 12z, fancy the Wicklow mountains could do well enough, eastern NI too.

GFS 18z agrees, precipitation clips the E coast. Probably 4/5 mm of cold rain on the coast, at best sleet. Snow line above 300-350m (conservative)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement