17-07-2013, 09:59   #1
del_boy13

Garda crackdown on cyclists started today

Morning all

In my haste this morning I stupidly ran a red light and was rightly stopped by a Garda. He then informed me that a new operation was starting today and all offences carried out by cyclists over the next few days will be dealt with in court.

My fault in full today and I not looking for any sympathy here (not likely to get it either). This is a heads up to warn anyone else who might on occasion run a light jump onto a footpath or anyone of the other myriad of offences that cyclists perform on a daily basis.

Advertisement
17-07-2013, 10:02   #2
Raam

Hang them all.
17-07-2013, 10:04   #3
hardCopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raam View Post
Hang them all.
The Gards or the cyclists?
17-07-2013, 10:06   #4

I reckon he was using Section B of the Ways and Means Act - there's nothing on either the Garda or the RSA website and usually they're pretty good about over hyping these things.

Saying that - good enough for you

Crucifixion's not bloody good enough for the likes of you
17-07-2013, 10:06   #5

No harm indeed. In is in the best interests of cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists alike.

Well done An Garda Siochana
Advertisement
17-07-2013, 10:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardCopy View Post
The Gards or the cyclists?
Both - let God sort them out.......
(2) thanks from:
17-07-2013, 10:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by delthedriver View Post
No harm indeed. In is in the best interests of cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists alike.

Well done An Garda Siochana
I see the advance guard of the pitchfork wielding mob have arrived.......
17-07-2013, 10:08   #8
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Really?

Because I saw a Garda cycling in a LUAS-only lane breaking a red light and swerving around pedestrians who were crossing with a green man this morning.

I sh1t you not.

If the Gardai don't even care themselves about these things, I'm skeptical about their willingness to bother stopping anyone else for it.
17-07-2013, 10:08   #9
Raam

I hope they also crack down on motorists who accelerate past me to get through amber lights which I am stopping for.
Advertisement
17-07-2013, 10:10   #10
Squidgy Black

I personally hope they park a car near the Donnycarney church junction of the Malahide road, we could probably set a record for the amount of cyclists summoned to court.
17-07-2013, 10:12   #11
Lumen

Quote:
Originally Posted by del_boy13 View Post
He then informed me that a new operation was starting today and all offences carried out by cyclists over the next few days will be dealt with in court.
Provided that the offence is something deeply antisocial that affects millions of people, like rolling through a red light, rather than something terribly complicated and abstract like bringing down a large bank or running out of the country with tens of millions of euro of other people's money lodged in your wife's bank accounts. If it's the latter, sure, go right ahead.
17-07-2013, 10:12   #12
del_boy13

The same Garda stopped a van in the bus lane 5 minutes later so its not just cyclists he was out for today.

No defence for my own offence but it does seem crazy that the only way it can be dealt with is a summons to court. it will take 6 months before the summons arrives and the court date will be a few months after that. Not the best way of dealing with a minor traffic offense IMHO.
17-07-2013, 10:18   #13
redzerredzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
Really?

Because I saw a Garda cycling in a LUAS-only lane breaking a red light and swerving around pedestrians who were crossing with a green man this morning.

I sh1t you not.

If the Gardai don't even care themselves about these things, I'm skeptical about their willingness to bother stopping anyone else for it.
Are you serious. Of course they will stop people as they see fit while driving/cycling any way they want.

I have seen many Garda cars speeding and been stopped for speeding myself.
I have seen several Garda on mobile phone while driving and been stopped for that too.
Met a Garda from an ad on done deal last year. He parked illegally and obstructed traffic for the 5 mins we talked. I would not expect to get away with the same.
(6) thanks from:
17-07-2013, 10:18   #14

I hope I'm right on this one, but I reckon he won't summons you he was just putting the frighteners on you - did he ask for name and address, and some form of identification?
17-07-2013, 10:25   #15
DuckHook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumen View Post
Provided that the offence is something deeply antisocial that affects millions of people, like rolling through a red light, rather than something terribly complicated and abstract like bringing down a large bank or running out of the country with tens of millions of euro of other people's money lodged in your wife's bank accounts. If it's the latter, sure, go right ahead.
Were the cyclists nama?

in fairness if you break the law so blatantly as to go through a red light you deserve to get pulled up in front of a judge, im sure he will be sympathetic to your plight if you launch into a Joe higgins-esque rant about the banks.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion