Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get an A1 in honours maths?

Options
  • 09-05-2013 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

im insecure about my maths ability. maths, along with irish, i have always viewed as my achilles heel. if i work extremely hard in maths, to the detriment of other subjects, i can do well. but next year ill be working hard on everything, especially after transition year. is there anyway to train my mind into becoming good enogh at maths that i could easily get an A1 in higher level in the leaving cert? like books, grinds, courses, etc. or is it too late to improve that dramatically for 5th year?? i dont want suggestions like revise the 3rd year course, etc. i actually want to be able to develop an appreciation and enjoyment of maths, as well as a talent for it???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I wouldn't advise anyone to study something at the expense of other subjects. It is much better to have a well-rounded education. If you want to develop an appreciation of maths, you have all the time in the world to do so after your Leaving Cert. What do you want to do when you leave school? Is it something (like Actuarial Science) that requires an A1? If it's not maths-related, then wait until after the LC and read some recreational maths books (anything by Martin Gardner is a good start).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rhiannon red

im looking at high points science courses that you need a good grade in maths to get into. plus, im one of these irritating, impatient perfectionists who needs to do well in everything immediately!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 zimzum55

Just study past papers....the same quations come up in varying forms every year....i studied the papers since last november and got 92% in my mocks so it does pay off

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

zimzum55 wrote: »
    Just study past papers....the same quations come up in varying forms every year....i studied the papers since last november and got 92% in my mocks so it does pay off

This method will undoubtedly improve your results, but it will not necessarily improve your mathematical ability. You will become very familiar with the sort of questions that are asked, and learn how to answer the specific question, but you could well find yourself in trouble if something new comes up on the exam (this is far more likely to happen in the actual LC rather than the mocks).

I would encourage you to play around with Maths like you would with languages. If you were learning a language, or any other subject really, you would do so by putting yourself in the midst of the subject, like going to the country that speaks the language.

It will seem very difficult, but try to just think about maths problems on your own, don't just follow the book's provided solutions. This will lead to you working out how to think about maths problems. The benefit is that you will learn how to make the connections between different formulae on your own, and "learning" maths will become much simpler.

I would also encourage you to read, and work through problems in the book "Elements" by Euclid. This ancient book teaches people how to think about maths, but unfortunately was taken off the syllabus in the 60s. There's a link to the book here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

Personally I got a B in Junior Cert maths, didnt really put much effort into maths, wasnt a very natural mathematician and I did feck all work on the subject in 5th year.

I studied my ass off in 6th year, really felt uncomfortable trying to "become" good at maths and was aiming to get at least an A2. I have to say that it was hard work but half way through the year I really started to love Maths and discovered how interesting and challenging maths really is.

You probably need to understand in advance that the hardest questions in Leaving Cert are going to be pretty up until a few weeks before the exam unless you are a really smart student with a natural talent for the subject. Dont let that put you off though. Its part of the process. There generally is one or two questions in the Leaving Cert that sort the men from the boys. Dont be tempted to look up the answers for such questions when you cant answer them straight away. Put them to the side and throughout the Leaving Cert year keep coming back to them and try to solve them. You will eventually and it will give you the confidence you need when you go into the exam.
    But about 90% of the LEaving Cert maths exam questions really are about studying the material so you know the techniques to solve the problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement