Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Strong winds across south late Wed 8th

• 07-05-2013 5:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭

I will leave the graphics for later posters, just wanted to start a discussion thread on the risk for strong westerly winds across Munster on Wednesday late morning, afternoon, evening and overnight lasting through parts of Thursday and spreading further east. The northern limit for 80 km/hr gusts appears to be Galway to Dublin on present indications, and gusts to 110 km/hr are possible in exposed coastal locations around the southwest coasts, 100 km/hr around the southeast.

This wind event will develop after a rainfall of about 15-25 mm spreading north with slowly deepening low pressure that is expected to move up the west coast, possibly looping around before moving east across central and northern counties on Thursday (hence the cutoff for strong winds, the path of the low itself will be associated with much lesser wind speeds).

Also, an occluding front could bring gusty showers and the risk of a brief thunderstorm Wednesday morning to the inland south and east. Skies may briefly clear when this feature passes, to be followed by squally showers redeveloping in the strong westerly wrap-around circulation.

Locations such as west Kerry and south Cork will probably see the strongest gusts. Forecasts could change so this early indication may also change during the day as the system is in an early stage of development well off to the southwest at this point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Good to see something half exciting happening! Weather has been bland last month or more!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

From offshore wind reports, system is deepening rapidly and strong winds appear likely to hit parts of west Munster after the low centre moves north of Kerry tomorrow morning. There may also be a brief interval of strong southeast winds around Waterford late tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The wind and rain has arrived in Wexford now.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Band of rain has just cleared and we are left with misty drizzle. Just been out to secure a few items and just a nice gentle breeze at the moment (unusual in itself :) ) No doubt that will change soon enough.
    NW Clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Winds have picked up here in the past hour.
    The crows are like fighter jets at the moment.
    Still cloudy with sunny intervals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,017 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met Eireann-Southwesterly winds will reach gale or strong gale force this afternoon and evening on Irish Coastal waters from Hook Head to Valentia to Erris Head, with winds reaching up to storm force on the Atlantic coasts this evening and tonight.

Issued:
    08 May 2013 11:00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The soffits are groaning

The strongest winds are now developing around the southern flank of the offshore low and these will hit the west coast from Galway Bay south this evening, peaking around midnight to 0400h through the south coastal regions.

Expect local gusts to 120 km/hr in exposed parts of west Munster and about 105 km/hr around Waterford and Wexford with potential for minor damage and also high tidal levels in some parts of Kerry and south coast exposed to the west or southwest.

From about Newport north, the winds may briefly gust to 70-80 km/hr but will then fall off gradually to near calm as the low tracks towards the coast around Connemara. Regions to the north of this track will only see winds increasing later tomorrow when the system is over Britain.

The effects on Galway and Clare will probably be as follows, a gradual increase in wind speeds from SW to about 10 p.m. with peak gusts about 80 km/hr north Clare, 100 km/hr south Clare, then a gradual decrease after that to near 50 km/hr, as the impact of the strongest winds shifts further south.

Along the south coast the winds will peak around or after midnight and start to ease gradually after about 0400h.

Some very squally showers are likely in parts of the inland south during this strong wind event. Remnants of these will reach the east coast and could be moderately blustery there, but the strongest hail and thunder potential has now passed in general for today, with a secondary peak likely tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

this has happened around this time of year for the past 3 years...

As soon as the apple trees are in blossom, we get a wind/rain event that batters them.

Looking like a rough night ahead in Clare if it keeps up as it is at the moment - horizontal rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭jprboy

From about Newport north, the winds may briefly gust to 70-80 km/hr but will then fall off gradually to near calm as the low tracks towards the coast around Connemara. Regions to the north of this track will only see winds increasing later tomorrow when the system is over Britain.

MT, is that the Tipperary Newport or the Mayo Newport?

I'm suspecting it's the former you mean but most people think of the Mayo version whenever they hear "Newport"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭jprboy

this has happened around this time of year for the past 3 years...

As soon as the apple trees are in blossom, we get a wind/rain event that batters them.

Looking like a rough night ahead in Clare if it keeps up as it is at the moment - horizontal rain.

Yeah, was thinking the exact same thing about the cherry blossom on my way home today.

They last for a short enough time anyway without getting a battering.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Winds gusting max 47mph. The issue I think around here will be the rain. It seems to have been sitting over us since 3.30 without moving. I was driving about 2 hours ago and the roads had lots of surface water so there will probably be flooding by now.
    Hopefully it will clear soon.

NW Clare

Sorry, I meant the Newport on the Mayo coast. Mace Head gusting to 58 knots, unfortunately (given what you're saying about the blossoms) Clare will probably be as windy as any location overnight, but there will be a trend towards increasing wind speeds in the south and decreasing wind speeds in Galway, however, it's a sharp gradient and cut-off that appears to be between Mace Head and Newport at this stage.

I didn't mention this earlier, but while the Irish M4 buoy is out of service, the UK K4 buoy located a bit further west (and north of where it shows on the NDBC map, by the way) was reporting NE winds at 4 knots earlier.

Belmullet seems to be dropping off towards light southerlies now. Eventually the strongest winds may be across south Clare and north Kerry, into Limerick, but I also think Cork and Waterford will eventually see very strong gusts as the overnight dynamics tend to favour a coastal convergence zone at the meso-scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Windy all evening here in Galway though nothing too dramatic, as mentioned rain is the main issue, its been pouring down for the past 6 hours now, 27mm so far here and no sign of a let up

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Wind gusting to 30km/h here. Feels a bit like the calm before the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

That's a reasonable wind at Mace Head at 11pm.

Sustained Severe Gale 9

SW 41 Gust 58

with Violent storm 11 gust

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Harps wrote: »
    Windy all evening here in Galway though nothing too dramatic, as mentioned rain is the main issue, its been pouring down for the past 6 hours now, 27mm so far here and no sign of a let up

I beg to differ, just drove out the motorway in a highish vehicle and it was hairy in places getting blown sideways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yep think it might be to do with the wind direction, whatever way its shifted conditions have gotten a lot worse here in the past hour. Terrible out there now, relentless heavy rain battering against the window, over 30mm so far at the Galway City station

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Another garden fence got blown down last night here in galway city. Thats 3 fences now in the last 6 weeks or so.
    Mind you I think the fences were weakened during past storms. But the wind direction in these spring storms seemed to be perfect for finishing them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I dont know it it was the direction that the wind was coming from but last night in Galway was the loudest I have heard, as well as the noise I thought the roof would go it was so strong, I registered 75 mph gusts after midnight last night up until around 3 am when it started to ease, hard to believe that its Summer..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
    look at all the rain in the Irish Sea moving east yet I got next to nothing earlier - just enough to barely wet the ground, the Wickla rain shadow I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I was woken up twice last night by the strong winds in Galway City and (I think) claps of thunder I heard too. It was fairly blowing alright and this morning going to work everywhere was covered in leaves and small branches.

Advertisement