Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chill Insurance

• 02-05-2013 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has first hand experience with Chill. Got a good quote from them earlier for my car. Very tempted to switch to them but was previously told that their customer service is not the best, especially when it comes to trying to contact them. Could be on hold for ages.

Would appreciate any first hand experiences on this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Nhocht wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has first hand experience with Chill. Got a good quote from them earlier for my car. Very tempted to switch to them but was previously told that their customer service is not the best, especially when it comes to trying to contact them. Could be on hold for ages.

Would appreciate any first hand experiences on this.

Thanks.
    They're a broker and fine to deal with. They've also got numerous shopping centre locations too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I've been insured with them for the last two years and have had no problems.

Was involved in a crash last year (totally the other cars fault) and I found them very easy to deal with.

They put me in contact with their solicitor and everything went smoothly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Have been insured with them in the past.. never any problems except they were not able to match my best quote for this years insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Nhocht

Thanks for your replies.

I was wondering more about problems contacting them. I heard it can be a problem.

I rang Chill on their locall number before I started this thread just to see for myself. I have now been on hold for 9 minutes. Sounds like there could be some truth in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I am 33, brand new driver and got the best quote from 123.ie yesterday
    Well First Ireland gave me a great quote but the excess was €3,000.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

I changed to them a few years ago. Find them excellent to deal with.

I had my mam with them since they were insureme.ie - their fees are quite high for any changes. They're difficult to contact - usually it's a case of "we'll get someone to call you back" which is a pain. In saying that - always very helpful and pleasant. However, last year, my mam got a much cheaper quote by going direct to her insurer - and no admin fees.

I had my mam with them since they were insureme.ie - their fees are quite high for any changes. They're difficult to contact - usually it's a case of "we'll get someone to call you back" which is a pain. In saying that - always very helpful and pleasant. However, last year, my mam got a much cheaper quote by going direct to her insurer - and no admin fees.

Thanks for your reply. Interesting to hear they charge admin fees because they told me there would be no admin fees over the phone. I must get them to confirm.

I tried ringing them earlier. Was holding for over 15 minutes before I decided to call it a day. It is going to be annoying if I have to hold for a long time everytime I need to contact them.

Their underwriter for my policy is actually my current insurer who are more expensive. They must get a special broker discount.

They must get a special broker discount.

They do.

It's easier and cheaper to farm a bulk amount of policies out to a third party to sell than to do it yourself.

Unless they've changed it then? which is possible, it used to be €50 just for having your policy with them and then further fees for changes.

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    They do.

It's easier and cheaper to farm a bulk amount of policies out to a third party to sell than to do it yourself.

Pity that. I sooner stay with my current insurance company. Better the devil you know. I know they do not charge admin fees and always get through within minutes for policy changes.
    Unless they've changed it then? which is possible, it used to be €50 just for having your policy with them and then further fees for changes.

I never trust the sales guys. They will promise anything to get the sale. I will have to get confirmation before making a final decision but at this stage I would rather try to get my current insurer down first.

Pity that. I sooner stay with my current insurance company. Better the devil you know. I know they do not charge admin fees and always get through within minutes for policy changes.

Admin fee's are how Brokers make their money really.

Just because you're going through Chill doesn't mean there should really be any change in the quality of service that you receive.

Do you make many mid term adjustments on your policies? Will you be calling on something that requires an admin charge much or indeed at all?

I do make a few temporary transfers, everytime I get a courtesy car when I send my car in for servicing. Incurred multiple charges for this a few years ago when I was with Quinn Insurance. Been very conscious about this since.

I do make a few temporary transfers, everytime I get a courtesy car when I send my car in for servicing. Incurred multiple charges for this a few years ago when I was with Quinn Insurance. Been very conscious about this since.

QUINN charged me once and that was in error. When I challenged it, I got it back.

I'm surprised to hear that.

In that case, would you be better sticking with your own insurer or looking further afield for a quote?

123.ie have an admin charge too.

The Chill rep told me no admin charges when I asked him earlier. I will ask them for confirmation again. Anyway, I have until the end of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Whatever_fools

Wouldn't touch 123.ie with the longest barge pole I could find. Considered switching to them last year from Axa as the quote was a good bit lower. Paid by card over the phone and had to phone them 8 times because I didn't receive policy documents or disc after 4 weeks. They kept saying they had sent them. Eventually asked them to send them in reg post and they did...to the wrong address. Then when I said I was cancelling any agreement I had with them and staying with Axa they told me they were hanging on to a 40€ set up fee and a 40€ cancellation fee. After many arguments they agreed to waive the cancellation fee and I was supposed to be grateful! Nightmare from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

Just spent 2 hours on the phone with Chill and still nothing sorted and now waiting for callback from a manager. They took my money on Saturday but can't activate the insurance as i'd got 2 quotes 1 phone and 1 internet and can't find the 1 i paid for :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭flossy1

kristian12 wrote: »
    Just spent 2 hours on the phone with Chill and still nothing sorted and now waiting for callback from a manager. They took my money on Saturday but can't activate the insurance as i'd got 2 quotes 1 phone and 1 internet and can't find the 1 i paid for :mad:

Daughter got a quote on the internet for so so amount, A rep called her and told her to pay so much extra, she paid in €800. In the mean time she couldnt get a rep to answer her call, was out a lot of money on mobile calls. When she did get through they wanted more money over the 1000. She said she wouldnt pay that, and she wanted her money back.At last she got her money back but they had gave her back €80 less for all their trouble. In fact it was my daughter that had the hardship, I would never touch them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

flossy1 wrote: »
    Daughter got a quote on the internet for so so amount, A rep called her and told her to pay so much extra, she paid in €800. In the mean time she couldnt get a rep to answer her call, was out a lot of money on mobile calls. When she did get through they wanted more money over the 1000. She said she wouldnt pay that, and she wanted her money back.At last she got her money back but they had gave her back €80 less for all their trouble. In fact it was my daughter that had the hardship, I would never touch them again.

Exactly the same thing happened they wanted over a thousand euro more once the rep phoned, I spent 5hrs trying to sort it out in the end yesterday and still had to phone back this morning and Chill Insurance are now telling me it'll take 5 to 10 days for the money to be returned. Will never even look at them for a quote again. :mad:

Thanks for all your replies.

I decided to stay with my current insurer in the end, after they agreed to give me a discount. The online companies were still cheaper but I had to stay on hold for ages to get hold of any of them. My time is worth more then the half hour wait everytime I need to contact them.

However, it is worth shopping around, if nothing else, just to have a few quotes to beat your own insurance company down. I wouldn't have gotten the discount otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AOWAO.de

I've just started car insurance with Chill.ie today and now reading all these negative comments.... Will see if I ever receive my disc or if they even start the policy or ask for more money....

Advertisement