Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Ireland on tornado alert today

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Suprisinly common (i.e. tornado forecasta).....just the meja (or at least The Journal) have latched on to Estofex forecast today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Was over at the airport there this morning and was very windy,the aircraft taking off a different runway going across the airport rather than the one that runs Parallel with the road ,where people park to watch.

BHzzBwECcAEaGee.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

This should of been in the convective thread lads no?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Would advise there is a slight risk of wind damage (non-tornadic) overnight most likely in counties from Galway to Meath but to some extent in other locations exposed to the southwest. Strongest winds will develop around 10 p.m. in the west and continue most of the overnight period. These strong winds will develop later towards the east coast and will peak there around sunrise. I am expecting peak gusts of about 120-130 km/hr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

My hunch is Donegal,Mayo, Galway and the northern third of Ulster will see the worst of the conditions more so than a line of Galway to Meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Last night was the worst night for stormy conditions that I can remember for a while in Galway, I dont know if it was the wind direction but the noise in the house from the gusts was scary, I had regular wind gusts of 80 mph on my weather machine after midnight and the one thing about this was the needle would go from say 30 mph straight to 75 or 80 mph, I never saw wind do that before in such strength and it would stay at that strength for a few minutes before falling back. It only began to ease down around 5am its still very windy but the stormy gusts are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Another windy frontal passage expected but this time more for the south coast as well as the Dublin region, timing about 6-8 p.m. tomorrow (Wed) for Cork and west Munster, to about 10 p.m. to midnight for Dublin. Places in between of course would have timing to match. Peak gusts could reach 110 km/hr (SSW veering WSW) with chance of squally showers or thunderstorms (some of these out ahead of the front). Connacht, Ulster probably not as windy but may see some heavy showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Bsal

Sligo airport last night recorded a gust of 64kts

2013-04-16 03:17:00 SPECI EISG 160317Z AUTO 22031G64KT 7000 SCT027 OVC035 09/06 Q0990=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭tphase

Mace Head reported 65kt gust last night
    16-APR-2013 01:00 SW 46 Gust 65 MIST 9 86 0.2 989
    Wonder if the "mist" was more like salt on the PWS - it was reporting mist until the 0700 report which seems unusual in that wind

My own box of tricks recorded a 33.6m/s gust at 0035Z

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

It may be worth pointing out that ESTOFEX, which is an experiment by weather enthusiasts (some being professional meteorologists), are quite explicit that they do not issue severe weather warnings. They do experimental forecasts, but warnings are strictly left to national meteorological services.

• Advertisement
Advertisement