Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Kelly Tour 2013

Options
  • 11-04-2013 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi folks, I was reading up on the 2012 thread there, finding it tough to wade through the thread to gauge what the 160km is like comparison wise. I did the Wicklow 200 last year, have already paid for it this year but been having a lot of bother with the health and it mightn't happen for me so early in the year - so thinking of a goal later in the Summer and this might do me.

So how would it compare with the Wicklow for anyone who's done both? Climbs specifically I suppose. I'd be coming from Co Armagh so bit of planning to do, want to see if it's worth the effort.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

SKT160 has a similar amount of "big" climbs, but is less bumpy in between them than Wicklow imo, though 2 of the big climbs are towards the end. Due to the time of the the year of the 2 I find the SKT easier due to it being in the twilight of the season, not earlier. I suppose the extra 40km and more climbing involved in the WW200 makes it tougher. SKT is a great day out, though they are limiting the crowds this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

If you like climbing, have a look at the Giant's Causeway. It's on early Sept. The SKT was a walk in the park in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Steadyfab

Cheers. Might try & combine a family weekend away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Steadyfab

If you like climbing, have a look at the Giant's Causeway. It's on early Sept. The SKT was a walk in the park in comparison.
    Yeah, looked at it last year, but had had my fill by the time it came round. If i dont or cant travel to Waterford that will probably be the N1 target for the year. Hear Torr head is fun. See how the year progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kencoo

I did both last year. In summary the SKT is harder but not by much. In general there seem to be more alot more hills and long drags with 3/5 tough short (sting in the tail) climbs. I have reasonable fitness and although the w200 comes earlier in the season i found the SKT harder and i was on average slower doing it.

SKT is way better organised though. Professional food stops, decent grub at the end. plenty of space for everyone. Like the W200, the SKT is a classic race and needs to be done at least once in life!

If you found the W200 ok then SKT should also be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Ah Me Nerves! They are reversing the route from the 100km from last year (image below).

1069323_571830809527029_2080024011_n.jpg

Numbers being limited so Register Early folks! More Nervous and Excited about this tour than my 85km Rebel Rider, maybe since it is a new/different route and I won't manage the 160km Rebel Tour to change my route for Cork.

Anywhoo, Register Early & Safe and Happy Training :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kphelan

Calling all Boardsies
    Join us for the 2013 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford
    on Sunday August 25th

Entry limited to 5000 riders

DONT BE DISSAPPOINTED - ENTER TODAY

at
    www.theseankellytour.com

kphelan is online now Report Post

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Entries closed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cornerboy wrote: »
    Entries closed.

In which case I'll close this thread, given we have another current thread on the topic

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement