Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Only BBC channels not coming in properly?

• 16-01-2013 10:35pm

Got a new TV last week, Samsung Plasma, and connected it up and tuned it. Everything's fine, all the Saorview and Freeview channels except the BBC channels, both radio and TV. On the other TV in the house they're perfect, is there any common issue that could be causing this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Got a new TV last week, Samsung Plasma, and connected it up and tuned it. Everything's fine, all the Saorview and Freeview channels except the BBC channels, both radio and TV. On the other TV in the house they're perfect, is there any common issue that could be causing this?

You are near the border. My only guess not knowing your cable runs and set up is that the cable run to the room where the Samsung is, is longer which would indicate a degrading of the signal by the time it gets to the Samsung. What do the signal bars say on the samsung for the other Freeview Channels ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭borderfox11

I had some problems with 1 tv versus other TVs, one of them was not picking up the HD channels, turned out i had to set the tv to "UK mode" and that did the job, maybe something similar?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

It's likely all the OP's channels (UK anyway) are borderline & the BBC mux. would only have to be slightly worse at this particular tv point to lose it completely.

All the other Freeview channels are perfect, it's just the BBC channels giving guff. On our other TV we could get them even before the DSO. I switched to UK and all it did was change the channel order in the EPG. It's not really me who's worried but as I'm sure you will all understand it's a lot worse when someone who can barely work the remote wont leave ya alone to fix something that's likely unfixable. Still, would be nice to know if another TV would fix the problem.

Is the aerial feed to the problem tv looped through something with an RF modulator, like a Sky box or VCR?

• Advertisement

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Is the aerial feed to the problem tv looped through something with an RF modulator, like a Sky box or VCR?

No, straight in.

All the other Freeview channels are perfect, it's just the BBC channels giving guff. On our other TV we could get them even before the DSO . . . Still, would be nice to know if another TV would fix the problem.

Highly unlikely the tv is causing the problem.

BBC started full power Freeview transmissions on Oct. 10th (switchover stage 1), 2 weeks before the other channels. Did the other tv have Freeview reception before then, with the low powered transmissions?

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Highly unlikely the tv is causing the problem.

BBC started full power Freeview transmissions on Oct. 10th (switchover stage 1), 2 weeks before the other channels. Did the other tv have Freeview reception before then, with the low powered transmissions?

Yeah it did.

It was already asked in post #2, what the signal bars are showing. Maybe list the UHF channels the muxes are on at each tv.

Maybe you have too much amplification in your system, or something. You won't get anything other than speculation on the cause of the problem, with the information so far provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 The Clone

Hi,
    I have a similiar problem to Laylah Elegant Wildflower except that my TV isnt new. I have a Sony Bravia which I have about 6 years or so. It has Freeview built in, I live close to the border, and for quite a which I could access UK FTA through that. That access ceased some time prior to the DSO.
    I got a Technomate combo box at the time of the DSO which provided UK and Irish channels seamlessly. More than enough for me. However, recently, all the BBC channels, and only the BBC channels, and only for a while, become unavailable. Sometimes I get an error message in the middle of the screen telling me that I have no signal (when I obviously have, if only the message would go away!!) and at other times the signal deteriorates to the point that the signal does actually go altogether.
    I may be wrong on this but it seems to happen more often late in the evening, say after 9pm and especially when I trying to watch Match of the Day!. I was watching a programme last week up to 9 and it was fine. At 9 the message appeared and picture became unstable and shortly afterwards it disappeared altogether.
    Other UK channels such as ITV, Ch 4, Ch 5 etc are unaffected as are the Irish channels. All BBC (1,2,3,4, CBBC, Parliament, News, red button etc) fail simultaneously. would appreciate any help/guidance. I wonder if a Freesat service would improve things but I dont want to try that in case its no better!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Combo box, as generally understood, means a box with a combination of terrestrial & satellite tuners. In ROI, in most cases, they would be used by those who have no UK terrestrial reception & the UK channels would be delivered via satellite, with the Irish via Saorview terrestrial.

Are you only using the terrestrial tuner on yours, or is it also connected to a satellite dish?

Apologies for my misuse of the term. I have an external TV aerial with no satellite dish. When I used the term I intended to explain that it is accessing both the UK Freeview channels and the Irish Saorview channels with no switching required between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

There's no reason for the BBC services to be particularly affected. Your aerial system in general probably needs attention.

Might be worth posting the UHF channel nos. the various groups of services are being received on, in case you're picking up signals from more than 1 transmitter. Post your location too.

Thanks. I will check out the uhf channel nos and post. I live outside Clones, Co Monaghan. When I got the box I had the aerial checked and it worked fine for a while. Maybe it has shifted with the recent high winds.

In Clones, there might be a possibility of interference between the 2 main NI transmitters receivable in Co. Monaghan, as they share some frequencies.

You might just be in an area where the comparatively low powered commercial channels from Brougher Mountain (Fermanagh/Tyrone direction) are strong enough to cause problems with the public service channels from Divis (Belfast).

Thanks for the info again. Any sugestions as to how to deal with this? (satellite maybe??)

If co-channel interference is the problem, then satellite would be the surest way of beating it (& you already have the combo box).

It's also possible whatever the problem is could be solved with some attention to the aerial system.

Advertisement