Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL in Spain - Meddeas

Options
  • 16-01-2013 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all. I am recently graduated uni student and I'm currently trying to go abroad to teach a bit of English somewhere nice and hot.
    Anyway, I got offered a position to work as a language assistant with a programme known as Meddeas. It's relatively new so I wondering if anyone has heard about it?
    We get paid from a government grant and there are different grant programmes within Meddeas so I'll be getting paid 840 a month to work as a teacher's English language assistant (might seem kinda low but Spain has a much lower cost of living than Ireland anyway), I'll just be working 20 hours a week, and at the end of the term I'll awarded with a certificate as an expert in bilingual education!
    I think it sounds pretty decent to be honest but what do more experienced TEFL people make of it? All opinions welcome, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Marie212

Hey. I'm also looking into teaching English abroad, preferably in Europe.

I've just come across the Meddeas programme today. How long are the positions for? It seems a good way to get experience of the whole TEFL scene. It would be great to get more info on it. Have you done a TEFL course?
    I'm planning to move to Australia later on this year and I want to get some experience teaching over the summer. I don't have any TEFL qualification yet but I'm considering applying for a CELTA soon or maybe I should just do an online course and go with a programme like this..

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Hi all. I am recently graduated uni student and I'm currently trying to go abroad to teach a bit of English somewhere nice and hot.
    Anyway, I got offered a position to work as a language assistant with a programme known as Meddeas. It's relatively new so I wondering if anyone has heard about it?
    We get paid from a government grant and there are different grant programmes within Meddeas so I'll be getting paid 840 a month to work as a teacher's English language assistant (might seem kinda low but Spain has a much lower cost of living than Ireland anyway), I'll just be working 20 hours a week, and at the end of the term I'll awarded with a certificate as an expert in bilingual education!
    I think it sounds pretty decent to be honest but what do more experienced TEFL people make of it? All opinions welcome, thanks!

I'm living here in Madrid and €840 doesn't sound great to be honest. The teaching assistants in my school are receiving about €1200 after tax. If I remember correctly they are on the Fulbright scheme but there are others. That's for 20 teaching hours work over 4 days (Monday to Thursday). I wouldn't get carried away with it being that cheap here either. Yes it's more affordable but if you want to live in Madrid city (like most young people) you will be paying about €400 a month for rent (unless you want to stay in a shoe box) plus bills. You will have to pay for your abono (travel card). My school is quite a bit outside the city so it costs me over €80 for this. In a nutshell you will find it hard to survive here on that sort of money. You would really have to supplement your income by giving english lessons in your evenings / weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 seankeno

Hey EagleScout, I am actually a language assistant with Meddeas myself! I am living on the same wage that you were offered and I'm able to live fairly comfortably on it. I'm actually living in Barcelona and I still find that this wage can meet my needs, you just have to be sensible, like finding a reasonably priced apartment and looking for the best deals whenever you're buying something. Sure you have to be a bit more modest in your expenditure but that's to be expected when you're not really working that many hours.

I think if you're doing this programme you're doing it mostly for the experience, and I have to say I am really enjoying living in Barcelona. Coming from smalltown Ireland it is a big change! The school where I work is great, the kids are so well behaved and fun, while the staff are genuinely so friendly and helpful. I'd recommend this job to anyone.

And Marie, if you're considering it you can get a position now until the end of June. I did a TEFL course beforehand but that isn't a requirement. In the end you are awarded with a cert in bilingual education so that would be pretty useful when looking for future TEFL jobs.

If you just go on their website you can email them directly with any questions: http://www.meddeas.com/en/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 calcetina

I'm sure seankeno doesn't work for that Meddeas crowd despite his only two posts enthusiastically recommending them. Sure you could survive in Barcelona on that money, if you don't ever intend to replace a pair of old socks, buy a book to read, meet a friend for coffee and things. You will definitely need €1000 plus to get buy in Spain, you could possibly teach extra private lessons to help raise your salary but this kind of deceptive advertising would turn me off a company like that... plus this cert is just a piece of paper they have printed, it doesn't mean diddly squat and you could print one up yourself if you wanted. Things need to be accredited by recognised bodies. Also be aware that working 20 hours a week actually means about 35 because you've to lesson plan and correct homeworks etc. You also need to be aware of how they expect you to work, some places start you with classes at 8am and you're not finished til 8pm but too far out of the way to do anything else with your day etc.

What do you know calcetina? Have you actually worked with Meddeas before? You're hardly exaggerating there with the expense of Barcelona, it's cheaper to live in than Dublin. Of course if it's a choice between unemployment or a relatively low wage in an interesting place, I'd take the wage.

Yeah I am trying to promote Meddeas, cause personally it's been great and I'd like to get to know a few more Irish people over here.

And that cert is accredited by the National Distance Education University of Madrid which has 205,000 students if you actually cared to look it up before you started expressing your snarky opinion about it.

Also be aware that the language assistant doesn't have to correct tests or set homework so 35 hours a week is ridiculous. You also have break times during the school day where you can prepare activities, as I was doing until I saw this post.

Noticed you only have a few posts yourself there calcetina, just shooting down other people´s comments is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 joseph10

Hello Sean. I've a friend heading to Madrid next week to work with Medeas. Considering it myself. The pay doesn't sound too great though. Also, I read on another forum that as the payment is coming from a grant scheme then if you leave before your 6 month contract ends then you have to pay whatever money back that they have already given you. is this the case? any other info would be helpful too. thanks

Hey Joseph, yeah the pay does come from a grant and you have to pay it back if you leave early.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mariamoo22

seankeno wrote: »
    Hey EagleScout, I am actually a language assistant with Meddeas myself! I am living on the same wage that you were offered and I'm able to live fairly comfortably on it. I'm actually living in Barcelona and I still find that this wage can meet my needs, you just have to be sensible, like finding a reasonably priced apartment and looking for the best deals whenever you're buying something. Sure you have to be a bit more modest in your expenditure but that's to be expected when you're not really working that many hours.

I think if you're doing this programme you're doing it mostly for the experience, and I have to say I am really enjoying living in Barcelona. Coming from smalltown Ireland it is a big change! The school where I work is great, the kids are so well behaved and fun, while the staff are genuinely so friendly and helpful. I'd recommend this job to anyone.

And Marie, if you're considering it you can get a position now until the end of June. I did a TEFL course beforehand but that isn't a requirement. In the end you are awarded with a cert in bilingual education so that would be pretty useful when looking for future TEFL jobs.

If you just go on their website you can email them directly with any questions: http://www.meddeas.com/en/

Hello Sean,

I had a Skype inteview for the teaching assistant job with Meddeas. How long did it take for them to tell you you got the job? :) and did you have another interview in Dublin after the Skype one?

Hey Maria, I think they only took a week or two to get back to me. I never had a Skype interview at all just a face to face one in Limerick, I don't think you'll need to have another one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Beth Murphy

Hey,Im interested in your mention ofmoving to australia.I am just back.I dont think you can get a sponsored visa though on a TELF qualification or on a Celta,do you know,or would you be going to oz on a work/holidat visa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭imbroglio

Hey guys,

Might be a silly question, but would it be difficult to do this job with absolutely zero Spanish? Of course,I would definitely make efforts to learn it if I was selected!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

imbroglio wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Might be a silly question, but would it be difficult to do this job with absolutely zero Spanish? Of course,I would definitely make efforts to learn it if I was selected!

Generally teaching assistants are expected to promote the use of english in the school. You will be assisting a teacher who is teaching through english and you will be expected to speak to the kids in english. The head of the bilingual program in the school will most likely be an english teacher so you can communicate in english. Shouldn't be a problem.

I have an interview on Wednesday in Dublin! worried.... any tips lads? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Konvict

Hey mariamoo22, good luck in the interview, I'm looking at this possibility myself. I'd say just show your enthusiasm for the job and kids etc and Spain obviously.

Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Konvict

Sounds awesome Seán, just wondering how you found the interview process etc, and I take it you have a choice of where you want to go, is this correct?

Also how was your level of Spanish beforehand and now after X amount of months living there? Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

you will pay 400 for accomadation,and spain is not that cheap any more

Thanks :) it was actually fine the interviewer was so nice :)!! i didnt say all i should have though I don't know how I came across :/ I applied through a link from Gradireland.com, but I saw it advertised on jobs.ie too :) seems grand anyway Ill know if I have it within the next two weeks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 amyryan90

Hey guys!
    Oh dear lord Im very worried after reading these posts. I have applied for a position too and I have an interview in Dublin in the morning. I never realised that we would have to pay back the money if you wanted to come home....that would worry me. I would say that I would be happy over there but to feel like I was tied to it in that way would worry me.
    I have also applied for the host family option. Has anyone any opinions on this or had an experience with it?
    I also read on a different forum that one person went with this programme and found the school very difficult that he was placed in. They wanted him to give 'lecture' type classes where he would talk for the hour.
    I will be asking alot of questions tomorrow I will post after!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alyssaboyle

So I am from the US and have been offered a post in barcelona. I am leaning towards living with a host family to make/save more money. Anyone on here lived with a family?? If so, how was it?! And I'm freaking out about this decision by the way. Lots to consider!!!

So I am from the US and have been offered a post in barcelona. I am leaning towards living with a host family to make/save more money. Anyone on here lived with a family?? If so, how was it?! And I'm freaking out about this decision by the way. Lots to consider!!!

your so lucky you got Barcelona.. I was offered the job with host family but they haven't told me where yet.. I hope I get somewhere nice like Barca. Im really worried about living with a family too. I keep imagining the worse scenarios possible ha Iv moved away from home 3 years ago and my parents are easy going anyway, Im so worried that I will get a really strict annoying family! shur it will be grand it's only for 9 months. :) Only one way to find out what its like, go and do it and make the most of it! I'm sure the families are nice or they wouldn't take us poor souls in for nothing in the first place :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

"might seem kinda low but Spain has a much lower cost of living than Ireland anyway"

If you come to Spain you'll see that isn't true. Somewhat cheaper maybe but not that much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 amyryan90

After my interview I was sent an email asking me to do a questionaire thing that told you about your personality. it said "Please answer sincerely, the results will help us to find the best possible post for you." But that was last week and I haven't heard anything since....is this a good sign?
    Also I have chosen the host family too I am just home from a holiday in Spain and everyone told me that it costs about 350-400 for a decent apartment so I think the family would be much better! I always found Spanish people are so friendly and welcoming anyway I think it would be nice :)

hey amy ya they sent me that questionnaire thing last Friday too and the results said that I am suited to be a paramedic ha :O But anyway I got the job they told me there on Friday :) let us know what school you get if you get it. I emailed the Jorge lad and asked what the craic was with my application and then they told me I got it :) I'm going to Barcelona and staying with a host family so worried about it all but excited too, I just paid the registration fee there aaaah :) Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 _Cludo_

mariamoo22 wrote: »
    I got it :) I'm going to Barcelona and staying with a host family so worried about it all but excited too, I just paid the registration fee there aaaah :) Best of luck!

Hi Maria, I am seriously considering doing this. Do you have a TEFL course under your belt? What was the interview like? How do you go about choosing where you want to go? Id say if i was to go id go for the host family too, Theyd have to be accredited an all that jazz ya know. Are you heading out there this sept coming?

Hey guys, Meddeas recently set up a Facebook group if you wanna get in touch with the new batch of language assistants who are are arriving in September or if you wanna ask any questions about the programme.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Meddeas-Language-Assistants-in-Spain/440885852652732

Hey guys, Meddeas recently set up a Facebook group if you wanna get in touch with the new batch of language assistants who are are arriving in September or if you wanna ask any questions about the programme.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Meddeas-Language-Assistants-in-Spain/440885852652732

Hey Sean, maybe you can answer this, what the diff between the three grant programs? and do you get to choose where it is you want to go or what?

Thanks

Well Cludo. I haven't done the TEFL course yet but I will have it done before September so that's grand! You give preferences on where you want to go like rural or urban but that's pretty much all the say you have in the location. You are given a choice of what type of school you would like too (very catholic or not, single sex school etc). Ya I'm heading there in September :) the interview was grand I had a skype one and then a face-to-face one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Hey guys, sorry to hijack this thread. I got an email from Meddeas today, totally unsolicited (although I do have my CV up on a TEFL job site), which raised my suspicion you might say.

Anyway, is it worth going for? Everyone seems to say you need to supplement your low pay with a job waiting tables or whatever. But surely in a country with such high unemployment a second job will be fairly hard to find??

mariamoo22 wrote: »
    Well Cludo. I haven't done the TEFL course yet but I will have it done before September so that's grand! ... Ya I'm heading there in September :)

Do you mind me asking what type of TEFL course your going to do? Im up in the air about what to choose the postgrad or speakers program. Id like to do the Spanish course but the Bilingual course sounds good too. Id have to do a TEFL course first too to be able to avail of either.

Did you find out where you are going to end up?

I sent off my CV and the questionnaire and have heard nothing as of yet.

• Advertisement

I am doing the 140hour Tefl course, with 120 hours online and 20 hours practical in Cork. As far as I know you can apply for the speakers programme without having the TEFL.. they pay for you to do it when you get there (I'm fairly sure). You have to have at least 120hours of TEFL course done to do the postgrad thing. Ya I'm going to Barcelona and living on my own now even though they firstly offered me a host family and then changed the offer (school and all) :/ But I'm still going to Barcelona anyway so tis grand! :)

Advertisement