Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine oil in lidl

Options
  • 23-11-2012 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭

Just wondering peoples views on the engine oil sold in lidl.
    manufactured by W5 it comes in 2 grades 10W40 and 15W40.
    I doubt if people would be buying it for a modern Mercedes, but would it be ok for older cars. Inexpensive at €15 for 5 litres (does that speak for itself)
    Any opinions??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

washman3 wrote: »
    I doubt if people would be buying it for a modern Mercedes, but would it be ok for older cars. Inexpensive at €15 for 5 litres (does that speak for itself)
    Any opinions??
    I was considering to buy it for my SDI Skoda with 195000 miles on the clock. However, my local motor factors can do same price for more decent oil but you have to buy 20l drum.
    Not an issue if you service your car at home all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

analfabets wrote: »
    I was considering to buy it for my SDI Skoda with 195000 miles on the clock. However, my local motor factors can do same price for more decent oil but you have to buy 20l drum.
    Not an issue if you service your car at home all the time.

Interesting. What did you get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭analfabets

Interesting. What did you get?
    Can't remember the name but it was meeting VW 505.01 grade. Don't think W5 oil does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Its fine I've used it plenty of times, is it back in lidl as I need to get a 5L ?

.............. but would it be ok for older cars..............

Grand stuff for any car that plain old 10W40 or 15W40 is recommended for :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭3GAINSBOROUGH

Any opinions??

With engine oil you get what you pay for.
    My advice is not to put cheap oil in your car engine.
    If its the only consumable you spend money on; buy the best quality oil.
    Cheap mineral oils get dirty quicker than full synthetic oils, and that means increased friction and engine wear.
    Older high mileage cars need the better quality oil more than ever.
    When you buy expensive oil you are saving expensive engine repair bills in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Its fine I've used it plenty of times, is it back in lidl as I need to get a 5L ?

Saw it there on Monday. with the other usual car bits and pieces, wipers,bulbs, seat covers,hub caps,jump leads etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Never skimp on oil, it will come back to bite you in the ass at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I buy local motor factors own brands inc fully synthetic 5W30 for my 110, never pay for named brands. It doesn't matter as long as the oil meets the the API or SAE specification for your vehicle. Of course if your vehicle is under warranty the dealer might wriggle if you can't prove you've used the correct oil instead of paying him to do it :rolleyes:

Went in to one place looking for classic 20W50 to be told "you don't want that muck", never went there again! My 101's rebuilt V8 likes cheap and treacly old fashioned oil at €12 a gallon from a local guy. Put a modern oil in and it sounds like a bag of spanners.

The other thing is that oil change intervals are far too long on modern vehicles, if you intend keeping a vehicle long term change it at least every 10k miles or 16k km rather than the extended intervals manufacturers use to keep service costs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

With engine oil you get what you pay for.
    My advice is not to put cheap oil in your car engine.
    If its the only consumable you spend money on; buy the best quality oil.
    Cheap mineral oils get dirty quicker than full synthetic oils, and that means increased friction and engine wear.
    Older high mileage cars need the better quality oil more than ever.
    When you buy expensive oil you are saving expensive engine repair bills in the future.

Coming from a cheap guy like you this really means a lot.:D

Except that you're wrong. On everything really.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

If lidl's oil is as bad as some say it is. It makes you wonder why mercedes,vw, bmw and others allow their name to be used in the specs on the can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's not at all bad. It's perfectly fine if the specs are suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Xsaron1

If lidl's oil is as bad as some say it is. It makes you wonder why mercedes,vw, bmw and others allow their name to be used in the specs on the can.

Each oil needs to meet require specifications in order to be used in the vehicle. Different engines needs different specifications so oil won’t turn in to jelly!!! The quality of oil is the completely different factor. There was many test done with engines that were run by different oils including top quality oils like Motul, Fuchs and Amsoil. When the engine was stripped in the engines where they used good quality oil there was minimum or no traces of exhaust carbon, parts were clean and in good condition. In the engines where they used cheap low quality oils engines were full of black exhaust carbon and parts began to wear which was caused by increased friction of the parts in the engine.

I’m amazed when people crying when they have to spend around €40 for good quality oil for their car which they are using every day. This is only €40 or €50 once a year!!!! To keep your engine in good shape, so you don’t have to go back to your mechanic and spend another at least €300 or more for your engine repair!!!! Do your calculation….

Oil needs to be changed at least once a year or 10.000km – and I know what I’m saying…my car have 180.000 on the clock and I wasn’t even once in the garage for the engine problem. All I do is best quality oil I can get and service each 10.000km…

I’m not saying that good quality oil is the fix all the problem but it will help a lot!!!

Here is all you need to know about the oil: http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I looked at the specs on the back of the oil and I am 99% sure the 10w40 semi synth was VW 505.01 spec.
    That is not cheap oil in the sense of poor quality, its made for Lidl by a Big refiner that doesn't put its name on the pack and therefore doesn't have to pay for marketing depts and the rest.
    If the Oil spec meets your engine requirements then it will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Xsaron1

None of a good manufacturers would replace their label to lidl label unless there is a big drop on the quality.
    If it would be as you saying and quality remain the same than what is the point to buy quality brand oil if the same you can go to lidl and buy 5L for €15...None of the companies would do such a thing this is a cannibalisation....
    Tell me why people buying TV’s, for example, only from brands like LG, Sony, Samsung, Philips.... and not from the manufacturers like "no name" company or lidl company? sure they all are able to show your favour programs and have similar features...and they are only half price of the brand names!!! Because of QUALITY!!!! - look at "no name" TV and LG for example, you will see the difference in seconds, materials, reaches of the colour, features, design....Yes, you are paying an extra for the Brand...but this stands for something!!!...quality, reliability, recognition....
    By the end of the day this is your choice,
    Just bear in mind that sometime when you save €10 or €20...you may actually pay much higher price...
    All I want to say it’s that people do not pay attention to the real quality and benefits behind. We only buying things of good or decent quality which are visible, where other people can see, when something is hidden like oil….cheapest. The best, sure this is only the oil, not a big deal…You could save on many things but don't save on oil, this is the most vital component of your engine, this is like a blood for your car. People have to realize that sometimes few choices may save many trouble with the car in the future, oil is one of them. People simply need education in this field.

Xsaron1 wrote: »
    None of a good manufacturers would replace their label to lidl label unless there is a big drop on the quality.............

I know of one manufacturer (not motor trade stuff) who retail their own stuff in their own packaging who sell a stronger/better version to Aldi or Lidl who sell it as ownbrand.

I sh1t you not :)

Most of your post is dubious to be honest, LG are a budget TV brand for instance, more or less no name in comparison to Sony, Philips etc.

What did you say about folks needing education again....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Xsaron1 wrote: »
    None of a good manufacturers would replace their label to lidl label unless there is a big drop on the quality.
    How many Oil refiners are there?
    Not that many, and fewer still would make oil to manufacturer standard like VW, Mercedes etc.
    Lidl don't just sell these Oils here in Ireland, they are German and German consumers would have big things to say if the oil they bought in Lidl made shyte of their engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

I just wouldn't buy it, I have had too many problems with Lidl/Aldi stuff. The W5 Shower cleaner is good though!

For less than 3 euro per litre I buy BP Visco 3000 10W40 semi-synth but in 20 litre drums. With regular oil changes I go through the 20 Litres quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Can anyon ewho bought it post up the spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

From the back of the 10W40:

Oil_Spec.jpg

Edit:

Also have the 15W40. (No English but you can see the spec)

Oil_Spec2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks a lot - tis not the spec I need

Advertisement