Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reci

Options
  • 22-08-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

im an employer who is registered with reci i have employed a sub contractor who is registered with essca.
    reci have now informed us that he can not use his certification number for reci certs, as far as i was aware his certification number could be used for any certification of electrical work as reci & essca course is the same,
    is this just an other money making scam by our friends in reci

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I can't speak for RECI, but if your subcontractor is a member of the ECSSA why can't he certify his own work with an ECSSA cert?

At the end of the day both the ECSSA and RECI certs are technically ETCI completion certificates. One is not more valid than the other.

Out of interest how do you know the courses are the same? I'm not disputing this, just curious.

I can understand why RECI may be reluctant to allow someone to issue anything with their name on it if they have not completed their course rather than a course that they have no influence over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dlocal

As the job is in my company name and covered by my insurance the cert has to be in our name ,Reci will allow him to complete a cert but not while he is a member of essca

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

dlocal wrote: »
    As the job is in my company name and covered by my insurance the cert has to be in our name ,Reci will allow him to complete a cert but not while he is a member of essca
    is it that you are using his qc number and reci wont allow that
    perhaps you could test the installation yourself and issue your own cert with your own qc number(keeping his cert for records)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

dlocal wrote: »

the cert does not have to be in your name, the employer should have a contract with you, at the end of the job you issue an emergency lighting cert (self certified if you have the new qualification, or else third party), fire alarm cert (third party) Intruder alarm cert ( third party) and if you used a subby you can use their ECSSA certificate. Your insurance cover will not change because you did not do the work, in fact it should go down because you have double insurance, i.e both you and the subby have insurance.

the only reason you should have an issue with not the subby name on the cert is if you don't want the client to go directly to the subby for the next job and cutting you out of the loop, but your insurance should have nothing to do with it. If there is a fault with the job someone will approach your insurance company, who will in turn fire it off to your subbies insurance, so your insurance company should be delighted to insure a company at turnover X who actually have a percentage of the turnover covered by other policies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement