Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping TESCO home delivery drivers

Options
  • 16-08-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Simple poll. Do you tip Tesco delivery drivers of not?

Do you tip Tesco home delivery drivers? 15 votes

YES I tip.
    0% 0 votes
    No I do not tip.
    100% 15 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I walk to tesco, buy my shopping, and carry it home. I tip myself with a beer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

No.
    Because I actually go to Tesco myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

i always give them a tip....

in the form of 'be good to your mother'

on a serious note..... i got my shopping delivered a few times but never tipped simply because they are in and out of the house in a few minutes. Should i tip the postman for delivering letters? Where would it end :/ I wish i was tipped for doing my job :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

bollox to tipping them. they charge for delivery. supervalu delivers for free so i shop there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I find home delivery is great and saves a LOT of time/hassle if purchasing bulky items like 6 cases of beer on offer. No parking, no lugging to car, no multiple trips from car to 8th floor apartment :) All for 2.50euro delivery. Not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

I don't tip them. I used to be very 'giving' of the tipping kind, and found it never ever got me anywhere. The Tesco home delivery drivers have invariably been excellent for me, very friendly etc., so I wouldn't have an objection to tipping them if it turns out that it's the done thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Nope. They said "it's not in the rules to carry them upstairs" (in blocks of flats). So no. Bad job, no tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

"A stitch in time saves nine"

Valuable tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

100gSoma wrote: »
    I find home delivery is great and saves a LOT of time/hassle if purchasing bulky items like 6 cases of beer on offer. No parking, no lugging to car, no multiple trips from car to 8th floor apartment :) All for 2.50euro delivery. Not too bad.

And it's great for tesco because they get to dump all their nearly expired stock on you. Everybody's happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

I never tip the Tesco dude. I always tip the pizza dude. Why? Dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I shop in Dunnes because I can walk there.
    Tesco deemed not to put a shop near my house. So f**k em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I only tip them at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

No i do not-i'm already paying for the delivery! Also, while they're normally sound, one guy did refuse to help me upstairs with the shopping (i live in a 3 storey apartment block with no lift, but the stairs aren't bad).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

The very occasional times i have used online delivery service from Tescos (if ill for example) I don't tip mainly because I reckon he is lucky enough to be employed.
    Plus it costs extra to get home delivery anyway. If there was no charge i'd consider it.

This is Ireland.

No one tips in Ireland.

No one should tip in Ireland.

Has anyone seen the ****e that a "tipping culture" brings to a country

Customer: "oh well ah I need to give fifteen percent of your fee on top so that's ahhhhhh......."

Manager: "you made how much in tips? Then you need to split it equally with your colleagues/ give that money to me/ pay tax on it...."

BOLLOCKS to the whole tipping bullsh*t. I pay one price, the price in your receipt. You want to charge more? Write a receipt for labour & charge VAT on it. We'll see how long you last.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

vard wrote: »
    And it's great for tesco because they get to dump all their nearly expired stock on you. Everybody's happy!

I noticed that a few times alright! Very annoying! Thats why i switched back to going myself. I'm one of those people you will see digging into the box underneath or the back of the shelf looking for the best date :)

What also made me laugh was the replacements they would send. I ordered something before and the replacement they sent was €16 dearer.... :rolleyes: never the cheaper option!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

This is Ireland.

No one tips in Ireland.

Customer: "oh well ah I need to give fifteen percent of your fee on top so that's ahhhhhh......."

Manager: "you made how much in tips? Then you need to split it equally with your colleagues/ give that money to me/ pay tax on it...."

BOLLOCKS to the whole tipping bullsh*t. I pay one price, the price in your receipt. You want to charge more? Write a receipt for labour & charge VAT on it. We'll see how long you last.

I always tip delivery drivers. Food gets here a lot quicker that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Only ponces and ladymen use a home delivery service.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

MrsD007 knows all about tipping the Tesco guy ;)

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

If it was a hot female. I would give her my tip.... :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,011 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I always tip delivery drivers. Food gets here a lot quicker that way.

I knew a Tesco delivery driver who got lost on his first day. He showed up at midnight at his last house in the middle of nowhere, and they told him to "fuck off back to Tesco and take your fucking groceries with you!" He almost got a tip, but it wasn't money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

If it was a hot female. I would give he my tip.... :cool:

Freudian slip?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

This is Ireland.

No one tips in Ireland.

A lot of truth there. Tipping in the US is so wide-spread, that a lot of workers in the service industry can't make a living without it.

It just breathes worker exploitation, passing wages from employer to consumer - terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bonita810

I tip mainly because I used to have some rubbish jobs during my study, 1 or 2 euro is not so much and a few euro more in their pocket can help very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

it's usually the same guy that delivers so I slip him a fiver at Christmas.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Freudian slip?:pac:

Yes, :o I got too excited while I was typing it. :o

EDIT: Thanks for the "heads up".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

it's usually the same guy that delivers so I slip him a fivnger at Christmas.....

FYP ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

This is Ireland.

No one tips in Ireland.

Pretty much summed up everything i was thinking there. good post!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

kfallon wrote: »
    FYP ;)

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Thanks for all the votes and replies. Couldn't get clearer than that.

Advertisement