Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weihrauch HW35 vs HW80

Options
  • 11-08-2012 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Just wondering if anyone could help me out by Monday because I am getting a dealer to order me an air rifle my fourth gun so far but only my second air rifle was comparing a Weihrauch hw35 to a hw80 but can't decide on the better one, what I am wanting to do is target shoot paper targets with open sights and maybe a scope later from 30-70-80 metres with just a standard tune up. Thanks in advance for the replies much appreciated. By the way I do have a severe soft spot for the hw35 in part because of its classicness. Long time boards reader by the way and sorry for the uber long post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

from what i know the hw 80 is the ultimate break barrel springer and has been foe decades...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi raywalsh20

I have both of these air rifles in .22. They are excellent rifles out of the box, however both become even better after a professional tune up. The 35 is designed to shoot at around the 10-11 ft lb mark. Tuning it can up the power but it'll be harsh to shoot..... i'd recommend a tune to keep the power level the same but smoothen out the shooting cycle. I'd say 30-35 metres max in .177 for target work.

On the other hand, the 80 was designed to run at 20-23 ft lbs (after a tune up), due to its large swept volume. It's primarily a hunting outfit. And at that power level, .22 is the way to go. When scoped, you are pushing it to achieve satisfactory groups on paper beyond 60m. For that you'd want to go down the pcp road.

I find both great fun to shoot..... break-barrel springers are my favourite. For me the HW80 just about wins, (it was my first ever rifle!). I also shoot lots of vintage springers so I'm with you there when it comes to shooting classics like the 35!

Good luck with your choice, either way you can't beat a Weihrauch!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 raywalsh20

2011 wrote: »
    Hi raywalsh20

I have both of these air rifles in .22. They are excellent rifles out of the box, however both become even better after a professional tune up. The 35 is designed to shoot at around the 10-11 ft lb mark. Tuning it can up the power but it'll be harsh to shoot..... i'd recommend a tune to keep the power level the same but smoothen out the shooting cycle. I'd say 30-35 metres max in .177 for target work.

On the other hand, the 80 was designed to run at 20-23 ft lbs (after a tune up), due to its large swept volume. It's primarily a hunting outfit. And at that power level, .22 is the way to go. When scoped, you are pushing it to achieve satisfactory groups on paper beyond 60m. For that you'd want to go down the pcp road.

I find both great fun to shoot..... break-barrel springers are my favourite. For me the HW80 just about wins, (it was my first ever rifle!). I also shoot lots of vintage springers so I'm with you there when it comes to shooting classics like the 35!

Good luck with your choice, either way you can't beat a Weihrauch!

Thanks for the detailed reply. I think I might be edging towards the 80 but the appeal of the 35 being a vintage air rifle from 1951 but still in production is very high as the classic styling of it I find simply beautify and I love the classics such as the airsporters, webley mk3s and the many fine feinwerkbeaus but then the 80 is probably the more practical choice, decisions decisions.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

raywalsh20 wrote: »
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I think I might be edging towards the 80 but the appeal of the 35 being a vintage air rifle from 1951 but still in production is very high as the classic styling of it I find simply beautify and I love the classics such as the airsporters, webley mk3s and the many fine feinwerkbeaus but then the 80 is probably the more practical choice, decisions decisions.

No bother. I would be interested to know what you go for in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

The auld boy has the '80 in .177, so does another neighbour on the road.

It's a proper tackdriver - I can 1 hole at 25 meters with both of them and I wouldn't count myself as being that great with a springer/gas ram.

They're both scoped with 4x bushnells these days but the auld boys one was left open for a good while. He wears glasses though so found the posts too vague and couldn't really adapt to the diopeter inserts - eventually gave in to the lure of the glass.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »

No bother. I would be interested to know what you go for in the end.

I've decided im going to go with the HW35 but my dealer is after saying he doesn't think it's available anymore buts it's still available in England and just wondering if you have any idea what the price of these are over here because he quoted me €600 for the HW80.

I've decided im going to go with the HW35 but my dealer is after saying he doesn't think it's available anymore buts it's still available in England and just wondering if you have any idea what the price of these are over here because he quoted me €600 for the HW80.

HW35 is still advertised on the Weihrauch website, so can be ordered in I guess. However, as you mentioned you like the classic lines of the HW35, why not get a second hand one from the UK? With a bit of careful selection, you could pick up a mint 35 from the late 70's (mines 1979, that i tuned myself with a 12 ft lb v-mach kit) from between £170 -£220. (Your dealer can assist you importing it, for a fee)

The build quality of these earlier models is superb, and if you got an HW35E, you'll get a wonderful piece of walnut too! Weihrauch also made at that time their own series of diopter sights to go with the interchangeable foresight elements......I've a set on my HW55T...... so you have a choice of scope/open/target sights to play around with.

One last thing, if its just for paper punching, get it in .177. The light, 7 grain Hobby pellet really suits them, and will travel nice and flat at about 800 fps.

Thanx for all the help lads. Im definitely going to go with a HW35 just waiting to hear from another dealer today with a price and hopefully have it in the country by the end of the week so I can get the paperwork started.

Advertisement