Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird to go to the cinema by yourself?

Options
  • 23-07-2012 10:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

I really want to see the dark knight rises but can't get anyone to go with me until the weekend! Do people go the cinema alone or is comparable to declaring yourself a Thatcherite at a ULA meeting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Denerick wrote: »
    I really want to see the dark knight rises but can't get anyone to go with me until the weekend! Do people go the cinema alone or is comparable to declaring yourself a Thatcherite at a ULA meeting?

There were 2 seats beside me at the cinema, one guy came in and sat down. A while later another lad came in and sat down. Not like you're supposed to be talking during the movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I went with a few friends to TDKR and it was packed so I had to sit on my own. I didn't mind it one bit.

I've often gone to films on my own. That was usually in Dublin or England. I'd never go at home, mainly because the cinema is brutal and I avoid it even if friends are going.

I'd have missed out on a lot of great films if I was afraid to go on my own. I went to see Toy Story 2 in 3D a while back in Manchester. That was one of the most awkward moments of my life. I was in a cinema full of children and their parents. The film was great though.

If the cinema is almost full you'll get away with it if you want. Just look around and pretend your friends are in the back row and there's no seats. Then just find an empty aisle seat right in the centre of the screen and enjoy the film in peace and quiet :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Go to an early show. Chances are there will be less teenagers there and its cheaper so win win. Plus you wont feel like a weirdo loner as there'll be other weirdo loners around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ZombieMed

lol, I just went to it by myself (actually come to think of it, it happens a lot for me and Christian Bale movies, though usually later in the release). I wasn't the only loner there either, nor did I care that I was alone.. movie was great. Also, at the time I went there was only one seat left available to be sold so would have had to prebook if going with a friend.

Maybe people will be weirded out by you, but hey, that's not your problem:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

nope, do it all the time, usually go on midweek days off when most people there are by themselves, some movies I prefer to see with friends or a crowd, but if nobody was around it wouldnt stop me going at all. people don't care, and if they do, fcuk em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ZombieMed

watch how early you go to it though, a few weirdos in Cineworld Dublin at 10-11am..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

No it's not weird. Only to teenagers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This comes up so very often, and the answer is so very simple: no, it is not in the slightest bit weird to go to the cinema by yourself. Can't count the number of films I wouldn't have seen if I had wasted time and effort trying to gather a posse (hard enough to get friends to go see what they actually want to watch, let alone that pretentious Hungarian one). Go solo. Watch what you want to watch, when you want to, where you want to. It's not like you spend the film talking to people anyway. If you do, well then there's another reason not to go with others :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Most people go to the cinema to see the film, not to check out who's there alone.

Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Drum.lad

Its my preferred way of seeing a movie. I do remember going to see Despicable Me and the screen was full of mothers and children,i got some strange looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

I always go to the cinema on my own.

*sniff* :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Going to the cinema alone is one of the better ways to see a film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

People who go to the cinema by themselves are freaks! Freaks, I tell ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

People who go to the cinema by themselves are freaks! Freaks, I tell ya!

you know who are the real freaks? people who go to the cinema and spend the entire time talking, on their phone and not paying attention to the movie they just paid nearly 20 quid to watch. going during the day is bliss, one of my little joys is going to a cinema on a midweek day off work, its pissing rain, there's a handful of people there, nobody talks and everyone just shuts the hell up and watches the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

I have an unlimited card for Cineworld, so I find myself going by myself quite a lot. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. There are plenty of movies that friends won't go to see, so I see those ones on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Ape X wrote: »
    I have an unlimited card for Cineworld, so I find myself going by myself quite a lot. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. There are plenty of movies that friends won't go to see, so I see those ones on my own.

I'm the same. While I enjoy going with friends they aren't as big into cinema as me so I wouldn't get to go too often if I waited until they wanted to come along too.
    One of my favourite things to do is wander into Cineworld when its quiet and relax and enjoy a movie by myself.

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'm the same. While I enjoy going with friends they aren't as big into cinema as me so I wouldn't get to go too often if I waited until they wanted to come along too.
    One of my favourite things to do is wander into Cineworld when its quiet and relax and enjoy a movie by myself.
    Ditto. I also find I'm far more likely to go to something on a complete whim when I'm on my own with the Unlimited card, ie go to something I've heard absolutely nothing about. Have seen some *real gems that way :)

*and some utter shiiite too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

How much is that card?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Samich wrote: »
    How much is that card?

20 bucks per month (but you have to subscribe for a year).
    +10% discount in Woolshed Bar, woooo!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I always go by myself. I dont see any point in going with people as Its not really a social place. A lot of my mates say "I'll come out with ya some time", i think because they feel sorry for me :pac:

I just prefer to go by myself

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The people you see in the cinema on their own are true film lovers. They are there because they want to be and not because that's what their mates wanted to do. As krudler said, the real weirdos are the messers, the talkers, the texters. They travel in groups, they don't like movies and the only reason they are there is because that's the only thing them and their mates could agree on. Unfortunately for the cinephiles among us, modern multiplexes are designed for these people. Hence the reason they employ more than a dozen cleaners to mop up the mess these wasters leave behind, but no projectionists and barely any ushers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It be a bit weird if say a 20 or 30 something went into the likes of Alvin and the chipmunks on their own :D

vicwatson wrote: »
    It be a bit weird if say a 20 or 30 something went into the likes of Alvin and the chipmunks on their own :D
    Heh, I've gone to Pixar movies on my own :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Not weird though I've never done it.

Might buy a Cineworld and start going by myself, some films like Abraham Lincoln vs vampires i would love to see but its so hard to get a friend to go so usually end up downloading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Denerick wrote: »

Not in the least. I do it regularly.
    Put it this way: If there's a film you're rabidly excited about, it's better to go on your own than to drag someone along who has no interest and will spend the whole movie distracting you. Definitely not weird at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I've been going to the cinema alone for years. A lot of my friends have no interest in anything other than blockbusters. Nothing wrong with it. Next step though is the theatre alone. A little bit more scary since there's an interval. <<

• Registered Users Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Nope, not weird at all. The people who have a problem with it are the weird ones tbh. Kinda sad if someone needs to be with other people to watch a film all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

There's always a large number of people seeing films on their own at Cineworld, I'm sure its down to the card, which is a shame as its nice to get out of the house and actually watch a movie rather than it being about seeing a friend. Once I was in the city centre got bad news, didn't want to go home so I went to see some stupid comedy flick on my own, it wasnt funny but I just sat there and thought thank fúck I can just sit here and not have to talk to anyone of take any calls for a few hours, not a single fúck was given about what others thought of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ape X wrote: »
    Heh, I've gone to Pixar movies on my own :pac:

Pixar IS NOT Alvin and the Chipmunks :D

More adult humour in Pixar than there is for the chislers !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

I dont think its wierd, just so long as you dont go to wearing a gas mask or anything

Advertisement