Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vistakon, Limerick

Options
  • 15-07-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi There

I was just wondering does anyone know what vistakon are like to work for , do they take on general production workers (non specifice trade) and if they do what are the hours and pay are like. Also is it contract work and if so do they recontract you once your contract is up or are you left go? sorry for all the questions, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm pretty sure even the production lines in Vistakon are staffed by skill specific bachelor and postgraduate degree holders.

Haven't heard too many complaints from people I know who work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

ninty9er wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure even the production lines in Vistakon are staffed by skill specific bachelor and postgraduate degree holders.

Haven't heard too many complaints from people I know who work there.

Nope you are incorrect.
    They will take unskilled workers for "end of line" production. Have done in the past and still do.
    It will be an 11month contract with a slim chance of been taken back on. You might get a second contract but only after a break between both contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Vistakon, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson and the world’s biggest manufacturer of contact lenses, is to expand its plant in Limerick and create 100 new jobs as part of a €100 million investment. :)

See RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Great news!

+ 200 jobs on the construction side of the project as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

is this in addition to the big construction going on there at the moment or just a late announcement of work thats being going on for last 6 months ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

it seems there is always construction taking place there for as long as I can remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Well they said 100 third level employees. Does that mean if you have a degree you can join us?

Or does it mean the jobs will have a specific skill set and you'll need a certain degree to do a certain job there ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Well they said 100 third level employees. Does that mean if you have a degree you can join us?

Or does it mean the jobs will have a specific skill set and you'll need a certain degree to do a certain job there ?

Generally they look for specific skill sets and engineering or science degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Flexsource (CPL) have an account there and a lot of people working there on contract will get 11 months and then cut loose for minimum of six months after which you may be offered anbother 11 months. Then thats it. 2 x 11 month contracts and your on your own unless hired directly

Re: Process technicians working on the line, this is the job requirements from irishjobs.ie

_____________________-

Main duties and responsibilities:

Working on a 4 cycle shift system, you will be responsible for:
    · Production output of a Class III Medical Device
    · Equipment Maintenance (controls, sensors, pneumatics & electrics)
    · Line efficiency (high volume production and fully automated manufacturing)
    · Project work (relating to process improvement including cycle-time and yield development)
    · Contribution to targets related to Safety, Quality, Compliance and Continuous Improvement

Education and Experience:
    • An electrical or mechanical qualification and experience working in one or more of the following - injection moulding, automation control, toolmaking, maintenance, electrical or mechanical /fitter roles
    • At least three years experience is required

We seek technicians who have the interest, energy and motivation to work in our fast moving, medical devices manufacturing environment.
    The successful applicant should have experience of working within a team, have excellent communication skills and be able to work under their own initiative.
    All candidates must be available to work a 24/7, 12 hour rotating shift system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

i know of a person who has relocated to limerick and works in vistakon, who says the following, 25 of the 100 places are filled, this person has a specific science degree, also a masters, but can only get work there via an agency, then only on a three month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

saw a lot of new starts recently alright

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

saw a lot of new starts recently alright

Yep, canteen is getting a bit crowded :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Marstan

Does anybody know what agency deals with contract positions for Vistakon, and if they are currently hiring ?

CPL I think. They seem to be always hiring. I heard they're a balls of a company to work for so that's probably why

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Marstan

Yeah I'd say they work people fairly hard all right they seem to have advertisements and billboards the whole year round looking for technicians too. Thanks for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

CPL I think. They seem to be always hiring. I heard they're a balls of a company to work for so that's probably why
    Marstan wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say they work people fairly hard all right they seem to have advertisements and billboards the whole year round looking for technicians too. Thanks for the response.

To be honest, people said that about Dell too, but its just the fact irish people are no longer used to hard work.

Mc Love wrote: »
    To be honest, people said that about Dell too, but its just the fact irish people are no longer used to hard work.

Ah we are. Anyone I know that worked/works in vistakon say it's a terrible place to work. I don't know as I've never worked there but it must be true if so few people have good things to say about it. Dell on the other hand wasn't the worst crowd but the work itself was just crap. Repetitive, boring and tedious

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Ah we are. Anyone I know that worked/works in vistakon say it's a terrible place to work. I don't know as I've never worked there but it must be true if so few people have good things to say about it. Dell on the other hand wasn't the worst crowd but the work itself was just crap. Repetitive, boring and tedious

How do you apply for Vistakon as a general operative? Do you just hand in a CV and hope for the best or go through an agency?

http://careers.jnj.com/
    tell em i sent ya, maybe ill get a referal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

phill106 wrote: »
    http://careers.jnj.com/
    tell em i sent ya, maybe ill get a referal :)

Where would one find how to apply for general operative?.. Can't see it in site..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Where would one find how to apply for general operative?.. Can't see it in site..

I recently started in there after a long time out of work. I had to go through the recruitment agency CPL. They are on the dock road in Limerick. What I did was to physically hand in a cv to their offices. Then I emailed them once a week til I was granted an interview in Vistakon.

A friend of mine handed in a cv two weeks ago and started this week. Apparently they are extending the number of lines there or something like that and have stepped up recruiting in accordance. Its a 12 hour shift working 14 days/nights in 28. Its good money but repetitive work. Hope you get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭bennyl10

tim3000 wrote: »
    I recently started in there after a long time out of work. I had to go through the recruitment agency CPL. They are on the dock road in Limerick. What I did was to physically hand in a cv to their offices. Then I emailed them once a week til I was granted an interview in Vistakon.

A friend of mine handed in a cv two weeks ago and started this week. Apparently they are extending the number of lines there or something like that and have stepped up recruiting in accordance. Its a 12 hour shift working 14 days/nights in 28. Its good money but repetitive work. Hope you get in.

so easiest would be to hand in a CV physically to CPL?
    thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

so easiest would be to hand in a CV physically to CPL?
    thanks a million!

That's the way I did it. I was told to do it by a person who was working there that it shows interest. Plus it has the added advantage of not being just another email of a cv.

When the roles are available, they would come up under limerick, I saw some ethicon operative ones there in an email the other day, so should come up often enough.

I can only speak for Vistakon as I am working there.
    It's hell.
    Most of the original staff there (5 years plus) are ignorant horrible people.
    There are some wonderful guys there but a majority are nightmarish to work with.
    There is a culture verging on bullying from the "older" permanent staff.
    They degrade and harass you and wear down every bit of self esteem and confidence so that by the end of it you are almost like a slave to them..
    Of the 10 Process Technicians that started with me there are only 3 left and that's in a space of 11 Months.
    I have heard of new people having nervous breakdowns and suffering from serious depression after a short spell with Vistakon.

The shift system is cruel you work 4 weeks of nights and switch over to 4 weeks of days. So just as you are used to working nights you are moved to days and visa versa. While on nights you can just write off the month. You leave at 7.30 am and are back in at 7.20 pm the same day, or if you have "2" days off you finish say Monday morning and are back in Wednesday evening.....

There is a Joke in Limerick about Vistakon and why they have a revolving doors on the premises.

Apparently the HR department is the busiest in Ireland.

My advice to anyone is stay well clear of this hell !!!

I was warned before I went in and thought there are feckers everywhere that will complain about where they work and ignored it thinking that I am / have a strong character and I enjoy every where I worked. I also needed the work.

BOY WAS I WRONG.!!!!!

Looking for an exit since I started there hopefully things are about to change and more jobs will come onstream.

GET ME OUTTA HERE !!!!!

are you on the line or a third level degree worker?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

I can only speak for Vistakon as I am working there.
    It's hell.
    Most of the original staff there (5 years plus) are ignorant horrible people.
    There are some wonderful guys there but a majority are nightmarish to work with.
    There is a culture verging on bullying from the "older" permanent staff.
    They degrade and harass you and wear down every bit of self esteem and confidence so that by the end of it you are almost like a slave to them..
    Of the 10 Process Technicians that started with me there are only 3 left and that's in a space of 11 Months.
    I have heard of new people having nervous breakdowns and suffering from serious depression after a short spell with Vistakon.

The shift system is cruel you work 4 weeks of nights and switch over to 4 weeks of days. So just as you are used to working nights you are moved to days and visa versa. While on nights you can just write off the month. You leave at 7.30 am and are back in at 7.20 pm the same day, or if you have "2" days off you finish say Monday morning and are back in Wednesday evening.....

There is a Joke in Limerick about Vistakon and why they have a revolving doors on the premises.

Apparently the HR department is the busiest in Ireland.

My advice to anyone is stay well clear of this hell !!!

I was warned before I went in and thought there are feckers everywhere that will complain about where they work and ignored it thinking that I am / have a strong character and I enjoy every where I worked. I also needed the work.

BOY WAS I WRONG.!!!!!

Looking for an exit since I started there hopefully things are about to change and more jobs will come onstream.

GET ME OUTTA HERE !!!!!

This EXACTLY reflects my GF's experience (3rd level degree, working in the lab) here, to be far she lasted 5 months, longer than a lot. I felt awful seeing her come home so depressed. Toke a long time for her to gain her confidence back after leaving this place, thank god she did!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

EDIT DUE TO FACTS ABOUT VISTAKON MIGHT COST ME MY JOB......

Mightn't be a bad thing ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Jesus lads, if its as bad as ye are making it out and ye want out so bad just go?

Line Worker but its no different anywhere in the plant.

i best avoid that place then......worked in dell and thought that was grand and thought vistakon would be nice to work in.....im kind of a laborer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I was at one of there job open nights recently. Was wondering what they were like to work for.

Advertisement